The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I personally think this is an awesome batch, probably my favorite in years.

I got Eye of the Needle, Chinatown, and Amazing Grace and Chuck.

I'll get the Hitchcock set at some point, and probably the Silvestri which really does sound nice, it just isn't a priority score for me.

I won't give it a meh, but I won't place a rush order to get any of these. I bought Chinatown when Amazon carried it in December for $5 download; I don't care about paying an extra $20 just to increase my MP3 bitrate from 256 to 320. The Bernstein would be nice if it sticks around; if not, I won't be upset.

Yes, I'm also contemplating getting Alien: A Biomechanica Symphony as it sounds like really good compilation. But I'll wait til I hear it live (with slightly expanded Goldenthal section) in less than two weeks in Kraków. :)

Can't wait!

Karol

Chinatown! Finally, so happy about that one :)

Well since I don't own it I think I'll get this version. I guess missing out on the first version paid off. :)

Well since I don't own it I think I'll get this version. I guess missing out on the first version paid off. :)

Indeed :) Now, if they'd only re-release The Burbs and the Swarm...

Indeed :) Now, if they'd only re-release The Burbs and the Swarm...

"The Swarm" was released on Prometheus, and very good it is, too. I doubt that a re-release is imminent, tho'...

Never had Chinatown in any form. I've been waiting patiently for a remastered release. Another Goldsmith hole filled.

"The Swarm" was released on Prometheus, and very good it is, too. I doubt that a re-release is imminent, tho'...

Hasn't the Prometheus been looong out of print, though? I remember it came out when I still had only a mild interest in Goldsmith (at least the stuff I didn't already know). I've been blind buying any new Goldsmith release for a few years now, but I think The Swarm was gone long before that.

And they released just the OST album again with improved sound as a limited edition. Is there much music to add to Chinatown album anyway? I seem to remember very little music in the film itself, only in key scenes, not much beyond the 30 minutes on the OST.

I think there's less than 10 minutes missing from the album. It's a Monsignor scenario.

A poster on Intrada said the complete score was 52 minutes, and the current LP is only 30. However, I can't vouch for the guy's claim.

MV called this release lazy on FSM.

I wouldn't be surprised if he said that. I said on FSM these releases with out expansions is rather pointless and stupid. I mean ya it's great for those who missed out on the first time but with no expansion ...just pure lazy and LAME. This is why I wish Varèse didn't have a lot 80's and 90's titles in perpetuity. If they didn't it would give labels like LLL and Intrada to release expanded/complete versions of said scores.

I know MV has stated he wants to release the complete versions for The Abyss and Volcano but can't because Varèse has the rights in perpetuity.

I wonder if they will do OOP Club releases, like The Fury.

Oh, that would be awesome, I somehow managed to missThe Fury and have wanted it for years ...

Koray is right--Chinatown is not part of the Encore series. The three Encore reissues here are all Varèse's own original catalogue titles .

I thought Chinatown was Varese's original catalogue title. But I guess I was wrong.

And they released just the OST album again with improved sound as a limited edition. Is there much music to add to Chinatown album anyway? I seem to remember very little music in the film itself, only in key scenes, not much beyond the 30 minutes on the OST.

How about the rejected score? It's been done before...

Koray is right--Chinatown is not part of the Encore series. The three Encore reissues here are all Varèse's own original catalogue titles .

I thought Chinatown was Varese's original catalogue title. But I guess I was wrong.

How about the rejected score? It's been done before...

True. Not a bad idea I agree.

Speaking of Varese, I had a dream Incanus sent me a copy of Dracula in the mail, not sure whether it was expanded, encore, or not... ;)

Speaking of Varese, I had a dream Incanus sent me a copy of Dracula in the mail, not sure whether it was expanded, encore, or not... ;)

:lol: It had an extra track, a disco version of the Dracula theme on it of course. And obviously I can afford to be quite generous in dreams. What would you like me to send in your next dream? The sky's the limit! Spared no expense. Nothing's too good for my dream buddies.

:lol: It had an extra track, a disco version of the Dracula theme on it of course. And obviously I can afford to be quite generous in dreams. What would you like me to send in your next dream? The sky's the limit! Spared no expense. Nothing's too good for my dream buddies.

John Williams: Star Wars Saga: 10 Disc set.

• 1 month later...
June 28, 2012

NEW LIMITED EDITIONS COMING JULY 9th!

On Monday, July 9 we will announce two new releases in our limited edition series and also two new releases in our Varèse Encore series! See you then!

Source: http://www.varesesarabande.us/

For those keeping track, that's:

Sat Jun 30th 2pm EST : La-La Land Comic Con Titles announced

Thur Jul 7 morning: Intrada July 12 batch clues first appear

Monday July 9 3am EST: Next Varese batch announced

Mid-Late July: FSM CD #248 announced

I saw this guess on FSM, and I think it's dead on:

Hmm . . . Horner's FOR GREATER GLORY and Tyler's JOHN DIES AT THE END?

• 2 weeks later...

Varese announced the latest batch 7 hours ago, 4 titles limited to 1000 copies each.

2 Limited Editions:

William Ross - The Mighty Macs

John Debney - A Thousand Words

And 2 Encores:

Georges Delerue - Crimes of the Heart

Maurice Jarre - Tai-Pan

• 3 months later...

I am pretty sure Karate Kid 4 is coming. Grap this one and I can finally have all 4 scores.

Ya that seems like it's a given. I bought the box set when it was first released. I'm glad though that they finally released them separately for those who missed out on the run of the box set.

Ditto. Midway is the only Club CD I've bought since Family Plot in 2010

Here's a full list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varese_Sarabande#CD_Club

Interesting to look at the list, from '08-'10 they regularly released tons of titles every quarter. Then all of a sudden in '11 and '12 they really just petered out

Ditto on your ditto.

Though I downloaded the Chinatown OST from Amazon since then, which is identical to the VCL release, though I consider that a technicality.

I hope they release something I want. Varese has largely been irrelevant for a number of months in regards to releases that I want.

I certainly appreciate their efforts for contemporary releases.

In fact, your point strengthens my argument - allowing other labels to expand their older (90s) material gives them more resources to release lots of current releases. Everyone wins!