The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I've wanted it ever since I heard the London Sessions CD & Great Composers set, plus I will admit to seeing the film at one time.

The theme was so lovely there were times I would just leave the CD player on repeat for that one track for 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still nothing on Varese's web site about the next club release. it's now been 5 months since their last club batch.

Haha :D Well, I'm pretty sure it never happened in the last 10 years. Let's hope that this isn't a beginning of another 9-year gap ... :o:P

Maybe they're working on a big project and it's taking more time than planned. Or maybe they don't want to saturate what is an already crowded niche market, hence they took a little bit longer hiatus between releases.

Maybe Varese is working on Gremlins. ;)

They appear to be busy getting more mainstream stuff out there so perhaps they are taking a little breather in between.

The publicity might have been negative but it sold out very quickly so I doubt it matters all that much.

Karol

Agreed. I've read on quite a few forums that most people were happy with the Deluxe Edition for Star Trek. It's only a handful of us that weren't quite happy with it.

The publicity might have been negative but it sold out very quickly so I doubt it matters all that much.

Karol

Agreed. I've read on quite a few forums that most people were happy with the Deluxe Edition for Star Trek. It's only a handful of us that weren't quite happy with it.

I was happy to see the music released, even with the flaws.

(Fan)boys will be (fan)boys. :D

Maybe. :P

I will say that I'm the same as OneBuckFilms that I was happy when nearly all the music was released legitly and so soon. The only thing I wished is that there were no cues micro-edited and that the cue for "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up" had the brass and woodwind overlays at the beginning. The choir is sorta essential but I can understand if the choir fees were too high to pay to include for the set.

Since Townson was the soul producer of the 2-CD set for Star Trek, I think the mishap with "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up" as well as the micro-edited cues were his personal decisions. I think had Michael Giacchino gotten involved with the set, each cue would have been unedited and overlays where they were supposed to be.

The cue titles are Giacchino's doing though. Maybe they're the original session titles? Or Giacchino was more involved than that.

Most of the cue titles are actually done by his music editor while he was writing the scores initially. These are what were used for the Deluxe Edition and the OST (with some minor exceptions, "Star Trek" was simply "Opening", and another cue called "Star Trek" had 2 versions written, and a third (film-used) created editorially from "Enterprising Young Men" and used for the Main Title card following "Labor of Love", while v2 was used for Kirk and McCoy departing the shipyards).

Giacchino was not involved in producing the Deluxe Edition, and my theory is that Star Trek: DE was rushed by Townson as a "B" plot while his "A" project, Spartacus, took the majority of his attention. He likely got overloaded, with a "lets just get this out there for the sake of our email inbox" line of thinking.

Some things were Botched (the missing instruments from "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up"), some alterations (such as micro-editing "Enterprising Young Men") were done for listening purposes, and some (omitting the choir) were financial viability choices.

A mixed bag with the presentation and editing choices, but good for the music itself.

??? Nobody was saying anything about the titles...

All I was saying was that it seemed a bit weird that Townson produced this independently, and yet the track names are trademark Giacchino.

I didn't know track names are created at an earlier stage.

hey williams makes the fun stuff for the recordings...

and he does them himself!

BTW returning to giacchino, cd tracks titles are by his music editor.

The actual cuenames, i dont know.

I asked him about the CD titles, so that's what he explained...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's May now and there's still nothing on the Varese website about a next club batch. It's now been 6 months since their last club release.

Various suggestions are going round FSM that a Goldsmith concert DVD is holding up any announcements.

Quick google reveals http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

It would be nice if they offered maybe 5 or 6 titles (from various decades) after such a long break.

I would love to get that, considering that other Goldsmith documentary is so hard to get. Maybe a new one would be more encompassing of his entire career.

• 2 weeks later...

News from Varese Sarabande:

May 16, 2011

OK, OK, IT'S CLUB TIME!

It's been pretty busy around here lately but a new batch of CD Club releases are about to come out of the Varèse oven. Visit us on May 23 to get them while they're fresh!

I agree with Marian about not selling out immediately. I mean I know IF there is a CD in this batch I'd want Peter would let me get it and wait until July to pay for it. I just hate for him to go that long though with out payment. This is sort of bad timing considering my girlfriend will be here from June 7th to the 20th. I'm not gonna be able to spend money on any CD's between now and July.

So they will technically be announced late Sunday night at midnight PST right?

That's 3am here. I'll be asleep.

I wish Varese gave clues, makes it more fun.

As mentioned earlier by me and a few others, I imagine the Goldsmith 80th DVD will be part of this batch. Probably the reason for the "delay".

I wish they would have done it on Memorial Day so I could stay up.

That's 3am here. I'll be asleep.

I wish Varese gave clues, makes it more fun.

8am here. I can check just before I go to work, perfect timing :)

It would be nice if they told us how many, and what decades they're from.