The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Bruce Kimmel pretty much let the cat out of the bag, although he didn't offer any proof, nor did he claim to have any evidence. Makes you wonder though. ;)

I'd recommend you pick it up if you can afford to. I'm debating, I have the FSM and the re-recording.

Bruce is now bantering with "Bond1965" about it in the thread

http://filmscoremont...?threadID=80262

Take the announcement a few months back of the film coming out on Bluray with an isolated score from new sources, combine that with SAE putting the FSM version on deep, deep clearance, and it's not that far out a guess.

It's a great score by two titans of film music , but unless it sticks around a while I'll probably pass since I just bought the FSM and the re-recording. And I still haven't gotten the Hitchcock Hour set yet.

That logic doesn't always work. ;)

In the past I thought we would get complete scores to Cinderella Liberty and The Diary Of Anne Frank from Varese club batches, given the DVD releases with isolated scores.

I guess we got lucky this time around. Although we did get a Herrmann release which quite a few people expected.

• 2 weeks later...

That logic doesn't always work. ;)

In the past I thought we would get complete scores to Cinderella Liberty and The Diary Of Anne Frank from Varese club batches, given the DVD releases with isolated scores.

If you have an isolated score, you don't necessarily need a complete score release.

And yes, I know you get edited cues, sometimes sub-par sound quality and don't get unused cues, but I think it lowers the priority for a title.

• 2 months later...

Bunch of Varese Club Titles are in low quantities:

The Snake Pit/Three Faces of Eve (Fewer than 200 Copies Remain)

The Spiral Road (Less than 120 Copies)

Freud (Less than 300 Copies)

Crime in the Streets (Less than 250 Copies)

A Walk in the Spring Rain (Less than 120 Copies)

Short Circuit (less than 60 copies!!)

Report to the Commissioner (less than 250 copies)

The President's Lady (less than 120 copies)

The Matrix: Deluxe Edition (less than 300 copies)

North and South: Book 2 (less than 450 copies)

Anna Lucasta (less than 400 copies)

Pony Soldier (less than 250 copies)

Gangs Of New York / The Journey Of Natty Gann / The Scarlet Letter (less than 60 copies!!!)

Iron Eagle (less than 200 copies)

North and South (less than 300 copies)

Viva Zapata! / The 13th Letter (less than 300 copies)

North By Northwest: The Complete Score (less than 200 copies)

The Vanishing (less than 250 copies)

Author! Author! (Less than 50 copies remain!!!!)

Birdman Of Alcatraz (less than 200 copies remain)

Lucas (less than 60 copies!!!)

Return To Peyton Place (less than 30, that's right, 30 copies remaining!!!)

The War Of The Roses (less than 150 copies)

Broadcast News (less than 160 copies)

The Scalphunters (less than 300 copies)

Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone (less than 90 copies remain!!)

Alien Nation (SOLD OUT!!!) (This is the one that shocked me the most)

Desirée (Less than 90 copies left!!)

The Agony And The Ecstasy: Deluxe Edition (less than 300 copies)

Three Coins In The Fountain (less than 180 copies)

Justine: The Deluxe Edition (less than 200 copies)

The Story Of Ruth (less than 50 copies remaining!!)

Beloved Infidel (less than 120 copies)

Big (less than 300 copies)

The Virgin Queen (less than 200 copies)

The Long, Hot Summer / Sanctuary (less than 60 left!!)

Marie Ward (less than 90 copies!!)

Source: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=83296

The one that really jumps out from that list is surely North by Northwest - to the people who haven't got this yet, it's highly, highly recommended.

I'm wondering if this is so much a case of many of these actually reaching those low stock quantities, or simply Varese -- tired of limited editions sitting there for ten years -- took note of what Intrada and FRSM have started recently doing (not renewing licence when something sells poorly and thusly not finishing the pressing of the original qaunitity; deleting old stock ["Malone", "The Caller" come to mind]) and stopped the cash loss.

Yup, its on their news page now to:

October 03, 2011

CD CLUB IS COMING!

New CD Club announcement coming October 10.

Source: http://www.varesesarabande.us/

I would DEFINITELY bet that one of the Williams titles Mike Matessino worked on is in this batch!

So we have to wait another week? :huh:

Varese always announces on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday that they will have new titles announced on Monday. And they go on their website Sunday night at midnight PST (3am Monday morning EST)

There simply must be a JW CD in there this time. They'll have to hurry though if they wanna release it before the sweat on my fingers and keypad from typing this is dry.

I have no idea, I'm not familiar with Kitchen Sink, but if it was scored by Bill Conti, Elmer Bernstein or Jerry Goldsmith, there's a very good chance!

I have no idea, I'm not familiar with Kitchen Sink, but if it was scored by Bill Conti, Elmer Bernstein or Jerry Goldsmith, there's a very good chance!

Their Kitchen Sinks were rejected.

Excellent, more stuff to get excited for.

Of the endangered CDs, I only own Marie Ward and North by Northwest. Both are good CDs. The former has one of my favorite variations of Dies Irae.

Can probably expect List of Adrien Messenger, Alfred Hitchcock Hour Vol 2, and a Williams title (Dracula or Jaws 2? Sugarland Express? The Reivers or Earthquake?), And some 4th title

Can probably expect List of Adrien Messenger, Alfred Hitchcock Hour Vol 2, and a Williams title (Dracula or Jaws 2? Sugarland Express? The Reivers or Earthquake?), And some 4th title

Goldsmith's The List of Adrian Messenger will be part of the batch almost for sure.

For the Williams' title, it will surely be something from the Universal vaults. I too very much hope a Deluxe 2-CD Edition of Dracula. But I suspect it's more likely it's a title yet unreleased like Midway (original film tracks) or The Secret Ways.

Expanded versions of Earthquake or The Eiger Sanction would also be welcome, but not a priority.

Order placed. Justine, Freud, Agony and the Esctasy, Spacehunter, ScalpHunter, Iron Eagle, Gangs of New York Set.

As for North and South Boxes, North by Northwest, I've already got them.

Another 90s DE would be appreciated as a 4th title.

Varese does make these Monday mornings a mixed reaction. I don't think I've ever woken up and gone 'wow', but the night before there's always that "what if?" feeling.

I don't mind, since they're outstanding when it comes to current score releases.

I'd agree with that. But what I mean is that they have perpetuity on so much great stuff that these club releases have more trepidation than the other labels.

The Karate Kid: Part II is the first score up.

Lame. I bet Volume 2 of the Hitchcock music will be in here too, gonna be the same stuff as the last batch.

... annnnd here's number two - Mimic: The Deluxe Edition. Just like the last batch, indeed.

Yep, Hitchcock Vol. 2 and Midway by John Williams!

The Karate Kid: Part II is the first score up.

Lame. I bet Volume 2 of the Hitchcock music will be in here too, gonna be the same stuff as the last batch.

... annnnd here's number two - Mimic: The Deluxe Edition. Just like the last batch, indeed.

Yep, Hitchcock Vol. 2 and Midway by John Williams!

So Hitch V.2 is the Other Williams Release?

Just snagged Karate Kid and Midway from SAE.

The former is now sold out at Varese and limited to one per customer at SAE.

I've been waiting for part II since getting the first one last year and phew, nearly missed it.

Even at only 1000 units I figured it would stick around awhile.

• 1 month later...

From Facebook:

Brace yourselves for one more release from the CD CLUB before we close for the year. Visit us on December 5 for the announcement. It's a whopper.

Let the directionless guessing (and Williams praying) begin...