The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

There seems to be only about 300 copies left at Varese at this point. It'll sell out this week. I really don't want to put out the money right now because I'm buying a new computer right after Christmas, but I won't be very happy if I miss out on this set and have to pay twice the price on Ebay. Ugh... :crymore:

Wow way to go Varese! Excellent release. And also so pricey I have no chance of getting it.

But they released just the Herrmann tracks from The Egyptian. What's up with that? Present full score my good men, even if Newman composed the other half.

Now if they do this for Herrmann's centenary year I must insist they pull out all stops for Williams' 80th year celebrations next year!

If Williams turns 80, there's indeed a chance for DRACULA, HOOK and a few other noteworthy additions. Although with Varése, there's always the danger that they just repackage their old stuff into a compilation.

I wouldn't mind the filmtracks of EIGER SANCTION or EARTHQUAKE, which VS already released.

Happily I was able to sell enough CDs through FSM's board to cover the cost of this - so I just took the plunge. With only 102 copies left as of this post, it wasn't a moment too soon! I can't wait to get this!

I'm still angry. Just to say something.

Whatever. JW should be celebrated like this too. But pleaaaaaaaaase, in separate CD's.

I just had a hard time to be this concise, here.

But separate CDs cost $20 a piece, while the CDs in this box set are about $10 a piece...

Even if it were John or another Jerry, I'd never, ever be able to afford a box like this unless I knew it was coming a year in advance or it was unlimited. I'd much prefer separate CDs released throughout the year.

I think it's kind of wrong that a masterpiece like Journey to the Center of the Earth is only 1000 copies.

Then buy the old edition. I actually had it up for sale, but someone has bought it from me.

This looks like a GREAT set, but the number was obvisously waaay to low.

Yes. I'd love to have that myself. So much great music in one place. Ah well...

I wonder whether last years' Spartacus sales had something to do with the number of units here.

Damn! I still want Spartacus!

Karol

I think there's either been a mild panic amongst labels or they've just had issues getting the numbers up. I mean, there's been some strange cases this year like PREDATOR/COMMANDO, THE EGYPTIAN, CARRIE (although that was normal for Kritzerland) and maybe even Giacchino's STAR TREK.

• 2 months later...

Only two? How unusual.

Too bad there's no clues... takes all the fun out of it. They could literally be anything

Hopefully they have something to tie into Williams' 80th birthday, like Dracula or Jaws 2

• 1 month later...
CD CLUB and VARESE ENCORE!

A new batch of CD Club titles will be announced on May 14!

A little background...

We've realized that we're getting old ... well, if we're not, at least some of our early releases sure are! Next year will be Varèse Sarabande's 35th(!!) anniversary. That means that it's possible that certain titles of ours have been out of print for over two decades! I think it's time to reintroduce a few of these oldies but goodies. As just part of our new CD Club announcement, we will launch the "Varèse Encore" series of long out-of-print titles - newly re-mastered and with updated packaging. These will not be "Deluxe Editions" where we add music to the original track selection. The contents of the "Varèse Encore" CDs will be the same as the original releases, but newly available to a generation (or two) who have never had an opportunity to buy certain titles from any place other than Ebay.

Coming May 14 ... a new batch of releases from the Varèse Sarabande CD Club, which will include the inaugural titles from the Varèse Encore series. See you then!!

Source: http://www.varesesarabande.us/

Ghostbusters would be nice, but it hasn't been OOP for twenty years.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone who paid $200 for a sealed plastic disc sees it back up for sale for $19.95. ROTFLMAO

Great, sounds very exciting! And just when I thought that Varese's special editions' and club titles' output has seriously diminished lately. Hope they prove me wrong.

I have a sinking feeling Williams Dracula will be in this "Encore" series, unable to be expanded because the master elements are gone :(

Just give me The Thing.

As far as the original is concerned, I agree - it would be great to have it in an all new, complete and remastered edition. But this CD is also awesome! Have you listened to it yet? It might not be "the real thing" (or is it the real Thing?! :D), but it's so close to the original that it's extremely difficult to notice any differences.

I guess it's likely we'll see a few Williams' MCA albums in this new series, most likely The Eiger Sanction, Jaws 2, Earthquake and The River. And maybe we'll see reissues of Stanley & Iris and Presumed Innocent as well. As for Dracula, there's enough unreleased material to justify an expanded edition (unless the session tapes are forever lost/destroyed).

Well I hope ALL those Williams scores get expanded to completion! But if the additional materials cannot be located, I am grateful if Varese does do a straight re-issue of the OST, especially with remastered sound and hopefully new liner notes.

Of course, me too as well. However, there are scores much more in need of expansions than others. The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Jaws 2 and The River are very fine OST albums and fairly representative of their respective film scores. I wouldn't get mad at having expanded editions of those. Dracula is a whole different story, since there are at least 30-35 minutes of unreleased material (even though the OST is a great one, I think). We'll see.

I think a very likely candidate in this new Encore series is Goldsmith's Masada OST album.