The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Looks like Varese is running another sale on selected titles, the Spartacus box set is one of them as well as Midway.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-ON-SALE-NOW/Categories

I'd recommend A Gathering Of Eagles, The Hallelujah Trail, The President's Lady and Pony Soldier as well as the 2 mentioned above. I'm almost tempted to grab Conti's 2 North And South sets.

They also have Patrick Doyle's Impressions of America listed for $11.99, which is what you would more than likely find it in a store for.

Thanks for the head's up!

Aliens Deluxe Edition is a STEAL at $11.99 - one of my favorite Horner scores, any young film score fans who don't have that one yet but like other Horner scores from the 80s and 90s should definitely add this one to their collection!

Does Varese have the rights to that one? I never bought it and wouldn't mind adding it to the collection but if LLL comes around and does a reissue I'd rather wait.

I believe they do, and another re-issue wouldn't matter much anyway. The Varese DE is already complete and sounds great, and has nice liner notes. Plus a new version would be $20, and this is $12 right now.

The only thing it's really missing is the tracked in music from Alien and the music tracked in from another source for the combat drop.

Well, I think the combat drop music was written specifically for the film, but it's not by Horner so I can see why it wasn't included. Plus we have it now via the blu ray iso score anyway.

New additions:

Viva Zapata! / The 13th Letter
Original Motion Picture Soundtracks

Music by Alex North

Limited Edition of 2000 copies - Fewer than 275 copies remaining
Price: $14.99
Retail: $19.98

===

Cannon For Cordoba / From Noon Till Three
Original Motion Picture Soundtracks

Music by Elmer Bernstein

Masters Film Music Limited Edition of 3000 copies
Price: $19.99
Retail: $24.98

===

Birdman Of Alcatraz
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music by Elmer Bernstein

Limited Edition of 3000 copies - Fewer than 120 copies remaining
Price: $14.99

===

21 Grams

Music by Gustavo Santaolalla

Release Date: 12/09/03
Price: $4.99
Retail: $17.98

===

Gridiron Gang
Original Motion Picture Score

Music by Trevor Rabin

Release Date: 09/12/06
Price: $3.99
Retail: $17.98

• 3 months later...

I think Bob just meant that picture was taken when the lobby was empty, as it was soon filled with fans and a red carpet for all the guest conductors and composers.

I did ask Bob at Peter's event today if more Club releases were coming and he said something like "of course", but no more information.

I think Bob just meant that picture was taken when the lobby was empty, as it was soon filled with fans and a red carpet for all the guest conductors and composers.

I did ask Bob at Peter's event today if more Club releases were coming and he said something like "of course", but no more information.

That's what I thought since he reuses the phrase in the context you're describing. Just seems odd to say that after someone's question though.

I had to turn them off of my news feed. I am so tired of seeing about concerts in corners of the world I'll never visit, while news of new releases is so sparse.

Ya I've noticed that too. It seems they're doing concert these days. I mean how long has it been since we've had a club release? I wonder if they've decided not to do that any more.

That 'John Fallon' said what I suspect many have been asking for some time.

By all means have an event to celebrate an anniversary, but I've truly lost count of how many times Varese have FB'd about their latest event, with Townson reporting how exhausting it all is.

Well, they are doing a year long concert celebration that started in February and ends on Dec 21, and it takes a lot of work to plan all these things, which is why there have been no club releases since last year.

Someone asked Bob at the FOFM event if he'd release recordings of the concerts and he said he'd love to.

• 1 month later...

New titles on sale at Varese

Freud: The Deluxe Edition

Music by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 3000 copies - Fewer than 300 copies remaining
Price: $13.99

===

Lost: The Last Episodes
Original Television Soundtrack

Music by Michael Giacchino

Limited Edition of 5000 copies
Price: $15.99

===

Beloved Infidel

Music by Franz Waxman

Limited Edition of 2000 copies- Fewer than 50 copies remaining
Price: $12.99

===

Marie Ward

Music by Elmer Bernstein

Limited Edition of 3000 copies - Fewer than 20 copies remaining
Price: $9.99
Retail: $14.98

Marie Ward's a good one, if only for "In the Beginning" (one of the best variations on the Dies Irae for sure) and "The Children." Can't say I'm very familiar with the rest of the score, though.

CD Club series returns on December 9:

December 03, 2013
THE CD CLUB RETURNS!

What a fabulous, celebratory year our 35th Anniversary has been. Concerts in Macau, Tenerife and Pozna? ... our relationship and more concerts with the Golden State Pops Orchestra, and our always full slate of new film soundtracks. With all of this going on, something had to give and our poor CD Club was given a bit of a hiatus. For all those who have waited so patiently, the Club now returns with new titles being announce on Monday, December 9. Hopefully everyone will find something of interest in our new, typically diverse batch of special releases. And we certainly have more goodies lined up for 2014. Happy Holidays to everyone! Let the joyous news be spread ... the CD Club is not dead! Visit our website on Monday, December 9 for the new titles to be revealed and ordered.

http://www.varesesarabande.us/

I'm not surprised - seemed pretty clear to me that it had just taken a back seat.

And I appear to have found on FSM the other person in the world who wants an expanded Dante's Peak as much as I do :)

I'd guess The Abyss may be among them too.

Please include Star Trek Into Darkness, The Abyss, Starship Troopers, Air Force One, Star Trek Nemesis, and/or Predator 2!

IF all of those are in this batch, so god help me....next month will be brutal for my wallet. I'd have to place an order through Movie Music most likely though.

What's wrong with the others?

Star Trek Into Darkness

- A lot more mature score than Trek 09 and is better listening experience.

The Abyss

-One of the greats from Silvestri, if you can't appreciate it...then your loss.

Starship Troopers

-Obviously you said yes, but that's a given anyways. It's a great score!

Air Force One

-Again another good score by two composers. Personally it's under-rated and the boot makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Star Trek Nemesis

-A highly under-rated score. Grant the OST is a horrible listening experience, a lot of the best music was left off of it. The complete boot makes it A LOT better listening experience.

SPHERE seems impossible due to the New York/L. A. session mix, GREMLINS 2 is, if we are really bluntly honest, a perfect album to begin with (as is, i think, PREDATOR 2). There are around 15 minutes more in the picture, mostly shorter connecting dots. If Townson runs out of older scores, AIR FORCE ONE, SMALL SOLDIERS and STARSHIP TROOPERS (and to a degree US MARSHALS) seem most deserving.

I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade perfectly sounding bootlegs I don't listen to regularly with pristine albums I won't get to in a year or two. Especially not with Christmas coming up.

SPHERE seems impossible due to the New York/L. A. session mix, GREMLINS 2 is, if we are really bluntly honest, a perfect album to begin with (as is, i think, PREDATOR 2). There are around 15 minutes more in the picture, mostly shorter connecting dots. If Townson runs out of older scores, AIR FORCE ONE, SMALL SOLDIERS and STARSHIP TROOPERS (and to a degree US MARSHALS) seem most deserving.

Those three titles you mentioned Publicist are on my wishlist. :D

Please include Star Trek Into Darkness, The Abyss, Starship Troopers, Air Force One, Star Trek Nemesis, and/or Predator 2!

That would be devastating. I'd end up getting all of them.

They'd never release a batch of all 90's titles. I'm sure the batch will cover multiple decades and have a little something for everybody!