The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Indeed. Star Trek Nemesis is an under-rated score, the OST did NOT help it very much as the best parts were left off. The expanded boot makes it A LOT better in terms of listening experience.

Not for me. It still left me cold, save for the brilliant Shinzon theme rendition in the end titles (and the little piano Blue Skies right before that). I'd buy it, of course, but I'd rather have STID first - never picked up the regular album for that.

A reminder of the track listing for Nemesis. Two important cues "Allegiance" and the film version for "The Dilithium Mines Of Remus" were left off. The album version for "A New Ending" is actually the film version.

01 - Main Title (Remus) (2:00)
02 - The Box (2:22)
03 - My Right Arm (1:01)
04 - Enterprise Flyover (0:33)
05 - Catching A Positron Signal (1:26)
06 - The Argo (1:17)
07 - Odds and Ends (4:35)
08 - Assembling B-4 (1:01)
09 - To Romulus (1:08)
10 - Repairs / Arrival At Romulus (6:25)
11 - The Knife (3:06)
12 - Shinzon and The Senate (0:27)
13 - Suspect B-4 (1:27)
14 - The Dilithium Mines Of Remus (Alternate) (1:29)
15 - Ideals (2:12)
16 - Thaleron Discovery (0:55)
17 - Shinzon's Violation (0:51)
18 - Beaming B-4 (0:45)
19 - Capturing Picard (1:24)
20 - The Mirror (5:22)
21 - The Scorpion (2:22)
22 - Sins (1:02)
23 - De-Activating B-4 (1:38)
24 - Battle Stations (2:40)
25 - The Battle Begins (2:22)
26 - Meeting In The Ready Room (0:21)
27 - Our True Nature (1:30)
28 - Team Work (2:48)
29 - Lateral Run (3:53)
30 - Riker Vs. Viceroy / Hull Breach (0:20)
31 - Engage (2:09)
32 - Riker's Victory (1:42)
33 - The Thaleron Matrix (2:55)
34 - Final Fight (3:45)
35 - Goodbye (0:55)
36 - A New Friend (2:33)
37 - Remembering Data / The Enterprise (0:50)
38 - Riker's Farewell (0:35)
39 - A New Ending (Album Version) (6:08)
40 - A New Ending (Alternate) (6:09)
Total Time: 1:26:23

Yeah, the alternate (is it the film version?) would be the one you would WANT to keep.

and bring on Nemesis, the best of the NG Goldsmith scores IMHO.

No the original album version is the one used in the film as I stated in my post with the track listings.

Wasn't the Alternate supposed to be for the deleted scene or whatever?

So the circle finally closes. Good! Good!

Let us hope Varese releases truly a complete score in this case.

Colosseum.de actually put the covers all 6 titles in on their web server, and some guy on FSM found them all. The titles are:

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek Nemesis (Deluxe Edition)
Alan Silvestri - The Abyss (Deluxe Edition)
Laurence Rosenthal - Brass Target
James Horner - Vibes (ENCORE)
Michael Kamen - Suspect (ENCORE)
Jerry Goldsmith - Runaway (ENCORE)

Got Nemesis and The Abyss. Given that it won't ship for at least four weeks I might add Christopher Gordon's Adore to that order. We'll see how it goes.

Karol

There would be no reason to do that, because it was all tracked music. The OST had Silvestri 's original intentions. (I do agree it's a nice suite of the score, though, especially in the SE version of the film.)

Are you sure that everything is tracked? I didn't see the film in a while but I remember that there was some alternate music when the ship comes out of the water. I did a dvdrip of the music some time ago.

I did a vhs rip even before that! The album represents Silvestri's intended end credits; the final film had the music editors assemble a suite of bits taken from other cues instead. Then they made an even longer suite for the SE film.

I guess that could have been a cool bonus track, but it's not really necessary.

It's a little 90-minute comedy from the late 80's, not a sprawling adventure epos. Chances are that there simply is no/not much additional music.

There is, and it's a shame, because the missing cues are from important scenes in the film. Apart from having a personal connection to the score for geographical reasons, the score is one of Horner's most distinctive and ethereal; too bad VS had to screw up this opportunity, similar to Chinatown.

Jason is right about the "Finale and End Credits" for The Abyss.

I ordered The Abyss and Star Trek Nemesis. Glad to see those two are 2-CDs and actually COMPLETE. :) I agree with Karol it sucks we have to wait until the 6th for them to start shipping.

In the mean time we got other scores to listen to. Looks like I can happily delete the boot of Star Trek Nemesis off my hard drive.

It's a little 90-minute comedy from the late 80's, not a sprawling adventure epos. Chances are that there simply is no/not much additional music.

There is, and it's a shame, because the missing cues are from important scenes in the film. Apart from having a personal connection to the score for geographical reasons, the score is one of Horner's most distinctive and ethereal; too bad VS had to screw up this opportunity, similar to Chinatown.

How much is missing?

Ordered Abyss, Brass Target, Suspect & Nemesis (both original & new editions).

So now I need only 3 Trek-related CDs: new edition of Insurrection and original album for First Contact & Insurrection.

That's cool! :)

Actually you really don't need to bother with the album version of First Contact, unless you want the two songs that are on the CD. Insurrection is the only OST for the Trek film scores I've kept because of the longer version for "Children's Story".

Actually that's not true... I kept the OST for Trek 09 too because it had the alternate of "Hella Bar Talk".

How much is missing?

I would estimate between 5-10 minutes' worth of music; again, similar to Chinatown's situation.

Not to mention, the film mixes of some cues differ from the album mixes.

Actually you really don't need to bother with the album version of First Contact, unless you want the two songs that are on the CD.  Insurrection is the only OST for the Trek film scores I've kept because of the longer version for "Children's Story".

Actually that's not true... I kept the OST for Trek 09 too because it had the alternate of "Hella Bar Talk".

I kept mine because it was signed by Michael Giacchino. :)

Like you though, I only have the Insurrection OST for the longer Children's Story and TMP and TUC as they were signed by their respective composers.

Musically, the complete editions are all that are neede, except Insurrection and maybe 09.

Indeed. Any signed copies definitely should hang onto. I have Superman Returns OST which is signed by Ottman. Although that particular one I bought from a fellow JWFANer...I can't remember who though. I even kept the promo for Superman Returns which I got from Ottman himself because he signed it for me.

Indeed. Any signed copies definitely should hang onto. I have Superman Returns OST which is signed by Ottman. Although that particular one I bought from a fellow JWFANer...I can't remember who though. I even kept the promo for Superman Returns which I got from Ottman himself because he signed it for me.

That may have been me, because I used to have one and sold it to someone. I think it was you! :)

I was fine parting with it because I wasn't as big a fan of the score or composer as someone like you was, Trent. Clearly you appreciate having it more than I ever did. :D

I will always though hang onto my signed copies of Drag Me To Hell, Independence Day, and Galaxy Quest. ;)

Strange, but I just looked onto the Varese's website and my orders have apparently "shipped".

EDIT: Oh never mind, there is a note on their website that would happen. The orders will start shipping as scheduled.

Karol

Yup not until January 6th.

I'm actually agreeing with MV that they should have waited to charge cards until they actually had the CDs on hand, or even made the announcements the week before.

It's like with GNP that they did for Generations, First Contact and Insurrection. Announced the titles, charged cards but didn't ship for nearly a month.

• 1 month later...

Turns out I did get a shipping notice.... my shipped from California on Tuesday, January 14th, and they arrived yesterday, Thursday January 16th... not bad. Nice to get these "2013 releases" 16 days into the new years :P

They all look great, at least!

Why is Nemesis's spine color green instead of red like all the rest?

Always happy to have more Horner and Goldsmith in my collection, and The Abyss is a freaking fantastic release! (Haven't heard any of the others yet)

Turns out I did get a shipping notice.... my shipped from California on Tuesday, January 14th, and they arrived yesterday, Thursday January 16th... not bad. Nice to get these "2013 releases" 16 days into the new years :P

They all look great, at least!

Why is Nemesis's spine color green instead of red like all the rest?

Always happy to have more Horner and Goldsmith in my collection, and The Abyss is a freaking fantastic release! (Haven't heard any of the others yet)

Regarding the spine for Nemesis, it was green on the OST.