The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I'll get both, although it will be to construct my own version of the OST.

Now if they can get round to Dante's Peak, the other 1997 movie, I'll be very happy. I suppose it's not impossible to be in this batch, but with 5 releases, I guess the other two will be older scores.

So Spartacus is basically one of the discs from their 2010 set. It's not even really all that great presentation anyway. It would have been great to have the entire thing in stereo. But then, the mono 2-discs sound just fine.

The only version I'd be interested at this point would be a complete Tadlow-like re-recording. Or even a 70-minute selection.

Karol

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if Varese will ever re-do that one?

They could've done an entire 'Volcano' batch :)

I'd argue that of all of their 30 minuters, Dante's Peak is the most in need of an expansion, relative to the OST. The existing disc is a terrible representation of the score.

And I'm sure that if Varese didn't own it, it would be out by now.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd argue that of all of their 30 minuters, Dante's Peak is the most in need of an expansion, relative to the OST. The existing disc is a terrible representation of the score.

I once had a boot of that and for the life of me couldn't find anything beyond the main title and maybe one or two short variations on it worth keeping. The same with 'Volcano'. Somehow bad disaster movies in the 90's didn't activate composers like they did in  the 70's.

13 hours ago, publicist said:

I once had a boot of that and for the life of me couldn't find anything beyond the main title and maybe one or two short variations on it worth keeping. The same with 'Volcano'. Somehow bad disaster movies in the 90's didn't activate composers like they did in  the 70's.

I latched onto it during my formative score years for some reason. Also, the boot is missing the music for the eruption/evacuation, which I think is the best section of music in the film.

• 4 months later...

Hard to believe that it's September already! Kids go back to school. The leaves start to fall and the weather starts to grow cooler (except here in California). But the favorite autumn tradition for soundtrack collectors is that the Varèse Sarabande CD Club returns with a new batch of film music fun! See you September 19 at 10AM PST!

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750.1073741832.190580891134204/555338667991756/?type=3&theater

My wish list:

Star Trek Beyond (Giacchino)

Dracula (Williams)

Air Force One (Goldsmith)

Robocop 3 (Poledouris)

incidentally, according the FSM thread, people are assuming two of the titles are Revenge of the Ninja and The Money Pit

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116772&forumID=1&archive=0

Some random guesses for B last names:

Elmer Bernstein - Ghostbusters (fixed)
Marco Beltrami - Scream 2 Deluxe Edition
Bruce Broughton - something I've never heard of

Some random guesses for B first names:

Bill Conti - Blood In Blood Out
Basil Poledouris - Robocop 3 Deluxe Edition
Bernard Herrmann - Ghost and Mrs Muir

I've only seen the movie twice, but I'm pretty satisfied with the OST on that one.  All the highlights I remember are on there.  Plus, I got it for $3 at Family Dollar.  Pretty good deal for that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Halloween Is Coming. And so is the CD Club! Two new releases will be announced on October 24 at 10am. You won't want to miss them.  ?

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750.1073741832.190580891134204/570606393131650/?type=3&theater

I hope one of the two is Williams' DRACULA!

?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I have a feeling that if it is it will just be a reissue/remaster like their Chinatown. 

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is there a good reason to assume it might be Dracula?

No, in fact there's no reason to assume anything at all. Unless D2 mastering spoils something Varese is up to, we never know until the announcement.  They don't do clue games and never have any leaks apart from that D2 stuff