The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, in retrospect the image makes sense, but there's no way anybody could have guessed it ahead of time.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're the only one who'd think that! 

Sorry guys but you’re both wrong! On FSM one person (soon after the clue images were put up) correctly guessed Looney Tunes (while incorrectly guessing Witness for the other title), and a couple posts down someone else correctly guessed Babe...see for yourself:

CDC3D864-3D5F-4DE8-AD5D-A7DBFE7F0A63.png

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was never recorded

Alas no...Robert Townson relayed in my interview with him that it was cancelled like a week before the recording dates, and Jerry used his now-open week to instead record a classic score for Varese:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1301242-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-1
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1361503-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-2

Funny that Varese had an agreement in place to release the Goldsmith score and then ended up releasing the final score. In a way it’s the same situation that happened with Timeline (and I suspect The Public Eye as well?)

But of course someone *could* produce a new recording of Jerry’s almost-completed score, from the original sketches. Would make a great Kickstarter campaign IMO!

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@BryonDavis Any chance of a re-release of Goldsmith's original Masada album? Is that still in Varese's catalogue? I have the Intrada release of the original score, but I still need an original copy of the album recording, and it seems to be getting quite expensive these days.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Any chance of a re-release of Goldsmith's original Masada album? Is that still in Varese's catalogue? I have the Intrada release of the original score, but I still need an original copy of the album recording, and it seems to be getting quite expensive these days.

Varese licensed the Masada LP recording from MCA (Universal Music Group). It's UMG that owns it (just like Psycho II, Explorers, etc.), not Varese.

Yavar

49 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Damn that Masada OST is a fine curation of the score. The Intrada expanded is way too exhaustive and time consuming for my liking.

I mean, the Goldsmith portion of that is only a single disc of seventy-something minutes. That's too long for you, when it covers two episodes of a miniseries? I wouldn't be without either recording, personally. "The Moabites" with its cool hammered dulcimer section is one of my absolute favorite cues, and it was left off the album recording (probably because of the more exotic instrumentation).

Yavar

12 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I find that most film scores drag on and on without some curation. Sure some really good material is necessarily axed to achieve that, but that's the nature of it all I guess.

So axe Disc 2 then. ;) Sorry, Morton Stevens...

Yavar

Eh. Even Jerry's scores could drag without some niptuck. For me, the original album is on point. If there's an additional track from the complete score I liked, I'll visit on the Intrada, but bugger me if I'll ever slog through the whole thing again.

He claims that fans who express disappointment with c and c releases, taking up two discs ( the complete score fits on one disc),with alternates and source music nobody wants- is a person who suffered deep emotional.trauma!

Is he right, DRAX?

Is he?

Maybe I should stop worrying and just learn.to.love archival.'collections of cues😒😞'

"Cues" ( sung to the Monty Python song " Spam"

Cues cues cues cues

Cuescuescuescues

Cues...cues...cues cues

( repeat forty three times)

C and C haiku

Cues cues cues cue cues

Cues cues cues cues cue cue cue

I love them, don't you?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Fake news!

I bet you just love those five second bumpers, now de rigueur on television collections.😠

SEINFELD: The Ultimate COLLECTION.

Label X is proud to

present the world premiere release of SEINFELD.

This fifteen discs collection included every bumper ever used.

Seven hundred cues, ranging from three to five seconds each, make their first ever appearance on disc!😝

Screenshot_2021-03-02-18-39-43.png

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Bottlecaps

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Yeah 

"Bottlecaps"? MASADA? The epic Emmy winner? One of Goldsmith's greatest scores, ever?

Okay, guys. You do you, I guess. I'm grateful for every note. There's not a single boring or wasted one in this score. This isn't some random 90s "autopilot" action score; this is one of the all time greatest scores.

Yavar

42 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

"Bottlecaps"? MASADA? The epic Emmy winner? One of Goldsmith's greatest scores, ever?

Okay, guys. You do you, I guess. I'm grateful for every note. There's not a single boring or wasted one in this score. This isn't some random 90s "autopilot" action score; this is one of the all time greatest scores.

Yavar

It's nice that you're an enthusiast, but you're quite prone to hyperbole, which is a strike if you're expecting to be taken seriously. "One of the all time greatest"? Ehhh it's nice enough, and I enjoy it a fair bit. Maybe it's just one of your all-time favourites.

Goldsmith's old MCA reduction of Masada is ideal, I never had much affection for the US studio recording. It's old news, but the late 70's - early 80's were golden years for LP cuts, Goldsmith, Williams, Horner, you name it.

Both albums are essential but the film tracks portray a much more aggressive, darker version that is far more enjoyable to listen to. 

I welcome including the album in a release as long as it’s unique, a completely different recording. 

if they want to include an album presentation culled from the same takes or source material, that’s fine but it’s not really something I’ll revisit.

Well, I bought the Intrada CAP ONE and traded it.

No comparison to the LP as a musical experience.

I believe Jerry redid it the way. he WANTED to orchestrate it for the movie, but funds didn't provide for the larger orchestra. Like with PATTON.

Maybe Moradi can confirm this

10 hours ago, The Big Man said:

You could never convince these C&C folks of common sense!

" He knows , Jim. He KNOWS".😞

13 hours ago, The Big Man said:

It's nice that you're an enthusiast, but you're quite prone to hyperbole, which is a strike if you're expecting to be taken seriously. "One of the all time greatest"? Ehhh it's nice enough, and I enjoy it a fair bit. Maybe it's just one of your all-time favourites.

It's in my top 5 Goldsmith scores, which would make it, by default, one of the greatest scores of all time in my book

7 minutes ago, Romão said:

It's in my top 5 Goldsmith scores, which would make it, by default, one of the greatest scores of all time in my book

Independence Day is my favourite film score, but I'm not sure if it's the greatest ever.