The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Independence Day is my favourite film score, but I'm not sure if it's the greatest ever.

I understand that. I would say the Goldsmith equivalent to your example would be something like The Mummy. Incredibly fun and entertaining score, to which I return very often, but that presents a clear example of a favorite not being perhaps one of the great works.

But I do think Masada is one of Goldsmith's greatest works (perfectly served by the LP re-recording, though, as others have said).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the FLINT scores. Both in my top five.

Greater than my other top five

PATTON....WIND AND THE LION...FIRST KNIGHT?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just ask me, and I'll tell you which scores are objectively the greatest.

You?!

Thor is a better judge.

😅

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

My favourite things in life are what I'd call my own personal guilty pleasures. It's why I don't like calling things "great".

I can also agree with that. But sometimes, maybe not often, but sometimes, I think the personal favorite lines up with an all time great. In the case of Goldsmith, I think that applies to Masada, Alien and Poltergeist, but not with the Mummy and The Shadow

6 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Those are all scores I regularly return to, but I'm not qualified to assess their "greatness". I'm not sure anyone is.

Oh, I'm not certainly not either. These are, of course, just personal opinions

On 3/6/2021 at 1:37 AM, The Big Man said:

It's nice that you're an enthusiast, but you're quite prone to hyperbole, which is a strike if you're expecting to be taken seriously. "One of the all time greatest"? Ehhh it's nice enough, and I enjoy it a fair bit. Maybe it's just one of your all-time favourites.

It has widely, for years, for decades, been considered one of Goldsmith’s greatest works. Composer Austin Wintory started a new podcast just four days ago, and it’s already got 3,400 plays on YouTube (who knows how many more plays if there’s an audio only version). Guess what the very first piece of music he decided to celebrate was?

Yavar

On 3/6/2021 at 2:26 PM, The Big Man said:

Independence Day is my favourite film score, but I'm not sure if it's the greatest ever.

It's certainly up there along with Batman, Always and The Lost World. 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I've always seen Masada listed as one of Jerry's greatest scores

It's basically Yavar " yes", everybody else "no".

Not one of his greatest. Not even close.

But, it's miles better than MUMMY#😁

The Mummy is one of my favourite Goldsmiths (although it doesn't have that much competition - my Goldsmith collection is relatively small).

That track from Masada... not my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Composer Austin Wintory started a new podcast just four days ago, and it’s already got 3,400 plays on YouTube (who knows how many more plays if there’s an audio only version). Guess what the very first piece of music he decided to celebrate was?

Guess what I posted in this thread just four days ago? ;)

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Guess what I posted in this thread just four days ago? ;)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yavar even liked your post when you posted it

Mea culpa. I totally forgot about that and my friend Jens had already shared it to me as soon as it came out. I only finally finished watching it today, which is why I posted it.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He clearly didn't like it enough to remember it!

To be honest I wish Wintory had brought up other cues to discuss and play for his friend, including "The Road to Masada" of course! I still enjoyed it though.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

MATINEE DE

Would love that of course, especially since it's the last remaining unexpanded Dante collaboration. There's a lot of wonderful unreleased music including this great action cue (almost sounds like it's out of a 70s score like Twilight's Last Gleaming or something) Roger shared in an Intrada thread:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63xpcoqz1um2rkd/Number 4.mp3?dl=0

Yavar

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Independence Day is easily one of my absolute favorite film scores of all time and one of the best film scores ever written

I concur with the first bit, but I don't feel I'm qualified to make the same claim about the second bit – I feel only composers or qualified musical scholars can make an informed claim.

Same goes for Messala.

33 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

To be honest I wish Wintory had brought up other cues to discuss and play for his friend, including "The Road to Masada" of course! I still enjoyed it though.

That “friend” is voice actor super star and musician Troy Baker ;) 

I was just playing MASADA Intrada 2CD set yesterday. I then played some tracks from the rerecording and the March like Concert piece he recorded from his concert album on Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith. - I love that recording! 

New Varese Club cds around the corner :

On their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/190580891134204/posts/1649945278531084/

Get excited. We're announcing two new CD Club titles this Friday. Hints coming later in the week, let's see if you'll be able to crack them this time.

Brainstorm please!

Hey Amer can you please copy and paste the URL of their post and not only the text of their post when you share the news here? Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/1649945278531084

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Brainstorm please!

Hey Amer can you please copy and paste the URL of their post and not only the text of their post when you share the news here? Thank you!

Yeah, Url is posted now but text was already posted in bold

From FB: Here are your hints for this Friday's CD Club titles. The correct guesses will be rewarded with the highest of social media honors, a "good job" comment from the Varèse admin. Good luck!

161740677_1651489361710009_6720101508835

162521700_1651489391710006_2513522985838