Jump to content

The Official Varese Sarabande Thread


Charlie Brigden

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I wasn’t shooting it down - I just meant that if the intent was something spooky, it would have to be title #2 - as Tomb Raider is not “bringing it.”

 

Aye, I think it's likely that the second, non-Tomb Raider title is something in the "spooky" genre, which Death Becomes Her would certainly quality for.  It just seems unlikely (to me) that they'd release two Silvestri scores in the same batch, and it seems unlikely (to me) that we'll get Death Becomes Her on CD 7 weeks before the Black Friday vinyl.

 

So if it's not Death Becomes Her, and also not Mr. Destiny, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Brainstorm, or Power Rangers because those aren't "spooky" scores, it certainly could be something no one's thought of yet that also has purple in its cover art.

 

 

 

Additionally, if you look at the wording again:

 

"Hope you didn't think we'd let spooky season go by without any treats. We're announcing two new CD Club titles this Friday. Clues on Wednesday as usual."

 

He mentions the season being spooky, then mentions that we'll be getting treats (trick or treat).  That doesn't necessarily imply either score is spooky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, scallenger said:

 

Well if Tomb Raider 2 wasn't disclosed beforehand, I would say the second pic leads to Tomb Raider for sure but I don't see anything specifically pointing to the second film in the franchise. 

Is it purely because it's the second pic so it would be the SECOND Tomb Raider?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know the second clue is of course Tomb Raider, but I'll just say it is poorly chosen because a grave is not the same thing as a tomb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A tomb is a large underground vault built to hold the dead, or a monument built over a grave

 

The dude in the picture is just digging a single grave for one person.  There's no tomb in the picture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's not the definition I've ever seen used by anyone in my lifetime

 

A tomb is a structure.  A grave is a hole in the ground for one person

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

These are the first 2 Silvestri expansions since The Mummy Returns 4 years ago!


Really?? I felt certain Varese had given Silvestri some other love over the past 4 years!

 

1 hour ago, Jaaaackified said:

 

Well if Tomb Raider 2 wasn't disclosed beforehand, I would say the second pic leads to Tomb Raider for sure but I don't see anything specifically pointing to the second film in the franchise. 

Is it purely because it's the second pic so it would be the SECOND Tomb Raider?


I’m pretty sure Revell’s original Tomb Raider score is not one controlled/previously released by Varese.

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Really?? I felt certain Varese had given Silvestri some other love over the past 4 years!

 

Nope.  Varese's last Silvestri title was Volcano six years ago.

 

Here's a complete list of every Silvestri catalog release ever:

  1. 2002-07-29 - Romancing The Stone (1984) - Varese
  2. 2003-08-19 - Predator (1987) - Varese
  3. 2008-07-28 - Delta Force (1986) - Intrada
  4. 2009-11-23 - Back To The Future (1985) - Intrada
  5. 2010-03-09 - Dutch (1991) - La-La Land
  6. 2010-03-23 - Eraser (1996) - La-La Land
    2010-11-02 - Predator (1987) - Intrada
  7. 2011-09-20 - Young Guns II (1990) - Intrada
  8. 2011-11-02 - Overboard (1987) - Music Box 
    2012-03-06 - Predator (1987) - Intrada
    2012-05-14 - Clan Of The Cave Bear (1986) - Varese (Encore)
  9. 2012-10-09 - The Bodyguard (1992) - La-La Land
  10. 2013-06-25 - Fandango (1985) - Intrada 
  11. 2013-07-16 - Clean Slate (1994) / The Perez Family (1995) - Music Box
    2013-09-11 - Delta Force (1986) - Quartet
  12. 2013-12-09 - Blown Away (1994) - Intrada
  13. 2014-01-06 - The Abyss (1989) - Varese
  14. 2014-05-06 - Mac and Me - Quartet
  15. 2014-09-02 - Summer Rental (1985) / Critical Condition (1987) - Quartet
  16. 2014-12-01 - Predator 2 (1990) - Varese
  17. 2015-05-12 - Judge Dredd (1995) - Intrada
  18. 2015-07-21 - Cat's Eye (1985) - Intrada
  19. 2015-02-26 - Soapdish (1991) - Quartet
    2015-10-20 - Back To The Future (1985) - Intrada
  20. 2015-10-20 - Back To The Future 2 (1989) - Intrada
  21. 2015-10-27 - Back To The Future 3 (1990) - Varese
  22. 2016-05-09 - Volcano (1997) - Varese
    2017-08-25 - Romancing The Stone (1984) - La-La Land
  23. 2018-01-26 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988) - Intrada
  24. 2018-07-18 - The Mummy Returns (2001) - Intrada
  25. 2022-10-07 - Death Becomes Her (1992) - Varese
  26. 2022-10-07 - Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) - Varese

Additionally, Silvestri was on Roger's composer list for 2022, so that should be coming soon.  I wonder which one that one could be? 

 

Hopefully Contact!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The master list on FSM has more Goldsmith than Silvestri awaiting definitive editions

 

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86092&forumID=1&archive=0

  1. Jerry Goldsmith - 1966 - Our Man Flint [12]
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - 1967 - In Like Flint [12]
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - 1971 - The Mephisto Waltz [6]
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - 1972 - The Other [11]
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - 1992 - Medicine Man
  6. Jerry Goldsmith - 1992 - Mom and Dad Save The World
  7. Jerry Goldsmith - 1992 - Mr. Baseball
  8. Jerry Goldsmith - 1993 - Malice
  9. Jerry Goldsmith - 1994 - Angie
  10. Jerry Goldsmith - 1996 - City Hall
  11. Jerry Goldsmith - 1997 - Fierce Creatures
  12. Jerry Goldsmith - 1997 - L.A. Confidential
  13. Jerry Goldsmith - 1999 - 13th Warrior
  14. Jerry Goldsmith - 2003 - Timeline
  1. Alan Silvestri - 1991 - Father of the Bride
  2. Alan Silvestri - 1991 - Ricochet
  3. Alan Silvestri - 1994 - Richie Rich
  4. Alan Silvestri - 1995 - The Quick And The Dead 
  5. Alan Silvestri - 1997 - Mouse Hunt
  6. Alan Silvestri - 2000 - What Lies Beneath
  7. Alan Silvestri - 2003 - Identity
  8. Alan Silvestri - 2006 - Night at the Museum
  9. Alan Silvestri - 2009 - GI Joe Rise of the Cobra
  10. Alan Silvestri - 2009 - Night At The Museum 2
  11. Alan Silvestri - 2010 - The A-Team
  12. Alan Silvestri - 2014 - Night At The Museum 3

But I could be missing some!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe that's Intrada's coming this year, they've expanded a lot of Hollywood Records albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jay said:

The master list on FSM has more Goldsmith than Silvestri awaiting definitive editions

 

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86092&forumID=1&archive=0

  1. Jerry Goldsmith - 1966 - Our Man Flint [12]
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - 1967 - In Like Flint [12]
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - 1971 - The Mephisto Waltz [6]
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - 1972 - The Other [11]
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - 1992 - Medicine Man
  6. Jerry Goldsmith - 1992 - Mom and Dad Save The World
  7. Jerry Goldsmith - 1992 - Mr. Baseball
  8. Jerry Goldsmith - 1993 - Malice
  9. Jerry Goldsmith - 1994 - Angie
  10. Jerry Goldsmith - 1996 - City Hall
  11. Jerry Goldsmith - 1997 - Fierce Creatures
  12. Jerry Goldsmith - 1997 - L.A. Confidential
  13. Jerry Goldsmith - 1999 - 13th Warrior
  14. Jerry Goldsmith - 2003 - Timeline
  1. Alan Silvestri - 1991 - Father of the Bride
  2. Alan Silvestri - 1991 - Ricochet
  3. Alan Silvestri - 1994 - Richie Rich
  4. Alan Silvestri - 1995 - The Quick And The Dead 
  5. Alan Silvestri - 1997 - Mouse Hunt
  6. Alan Silvestri - 2000 - What Lies Beneath
  7. Alan Silvestri - 2003 - Identity
  8. Alan Silvestri - 2006 - Night at the Museum
  9. Alan Silvestri - 2009 - GI Joe Rise of the Cobra
  10. Alan Silvestri - 2009 - Night At The Museum 2
  11. Alan Silvestri - 2010 - The A-Team
  12. Alan Silvestri - 2014 - Night At The Museum 3

But I could be missing some!


Well I did say…

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I was looking over Soundtrack Collector and WOW there’s a lot of Silvestri scores released by Varese (and presumably held by them in perpetuity). Like… almost Goldsmith-level.


And I guess until the official Varese announcement of two new Silvestri expansions later this week, your Goldsmith and Silvestri lists would actually be tied!


It’s possible that not everything is held in perpetuity by Varese of course… I noticed on Soundtrack Collector that they originally put out Soapdish (1991) on album, but Quartet was able to revisit that one.

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe that's Intrada's coming this year, they've expanded a lot of Hollywood Records albums

 

Would feel weird without the first Father of the Bride, wouldn't it? I wonder how much music there is left in those movies. I adore them (and released OSTs) but never really focused on how much unreleased material there is.

 

Each movie OST has about 22 minutes of Silvestri, the rest is songs (or that darn canon).

 

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I noticed on Soundtrack Collector that they originally put out Soapdish (1991) on album, but Quartet was able to revisit that one.

Uh, another good QR release. And one of my favorite colorful spines, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Father of the Bride scores are among Silvestri’s best, but I also don’t think they particularly need an expansion.  They’re nice little programs and they don’t overstay their welcome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, filip said:

Would feel weird without the first Father of the Bride, wouldn't it?

 

Sequel scores getting specialty label love before the initial score happens all the time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cradle of Life is out on digital in AU/NZ. No Death Becomes Her. Could it be announced tomorrow for a November release? Or Friday CD only? I don't know how Varese announcements work.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Death Becomes Her could be coming to digital on Black Friday when the vinyl edition drops.

 

It seems like in the past year or so of Club batches, one title shows up on digital the same day the CD drops, while the other title shows up on digital a few months later

 

Then again, there are lots of Club titles that never showed up on digital at all like Starship Troopers or Predator 2, so who knows how this all works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

Sequel scores getting specialty label love before the initial score happens all the time

 

Most recently with Tomb Raider 2!

 

Though when it comes to Silvestri, it's worth pointing out that two labels (one of them Varese) coordinated to put out his three Back to the Future scores sequentially.

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, filip said:

(or that darn canon).

?

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Speak for yourself, I want every second recorded for those scores!

I’m not entirely familiar with the FOTB scores, but i really love the opening of the first movie with the glorious statement of “Here Comes the Bride”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

 

I have deep sentimental attachment to both scores over basically my entire life.  My wife and I played the Part II OST on our drive to the hospital for the birth of at least two of our kids, I can't remember if we did for the third (it all blends together lol).

Aw that’s really cool. Awesome memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at the sale going on, how does How To Train Your Dragon 2 compare to the first film’s score?  (I’ve only heard the OST for the original)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Andy said:

Looking at the sale going on, how does How To Train Your Dragon 2 compare to the first film’s score?  (I’ve only heard the OST for the original)

It's the TESB of HTTYD.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.