Three Pieces from Schindlers List in SoCal Jan 29-31

tjguitar

Didn't see anything on the main page, sorry if it's been posted already.

http://newwestsymphony.org/masterpiece.html

AMERICAS

Friday, January 29, 2010

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Boris Brott, conductor

Lindsay Deutsch, violin

Bernstein Overture toCandide

Thompson Symphony No. 2 in E Minor

Copland Two Dance Episodes from Rodeo

Williams Three Pieces from Schindler's List

Gershwin Fantasy for Violin & Orchestra on Themes

from Porgy & Bess

The Gershwin fantasy is arranged by Alexander Courage.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's too bad it's the only pieces from Williams that seem to be taken semi-seriously. They are kind of boring to hear in a concert hall and might turn off potential new John Williams enthusiasts .Something like Adventures on Earth is much more awesome to hear live

it's too bad it's the only pieces from Williams that seem to be taken semi-seriously. They are kind of boring to hear in a concert hall and might turn off potential new John Williams enthusiasts .Something like Adventures on Earth is much more awesome to hear live

Sure, "Adventures on Earth" is much more spectacular and flashy, but the Schindler's List suite is really superb when heard live, even though much of its success depends on the soloist's bravura and comprehension of the piece.

• 2 weeks later...

This orchestra did Adventures on Earth at this time lsat year - The rest of the program was Rozsa's Spellbound, Bernstein's On The Waterfront...and a really long rachmaninov piano concerto containing the variation from Somewhere in Time among other things.

No, the three pieces are "Theme from Schindler's List", "Jewish Town" (my favorite of the three), and "Remembrances" (which I actually prefer to the Theme itself).

I agree that "Remembrances" is better than the main theme, in fact I'd say it's my favorite theme/cue from the film.