Spartacus Anniversary Edition

Joe Brausam

Wow...I'm really out of it. I knew there was some kind of Spartacus release going on, but only today did I see just how massive the release it. I can't believe I'm going to miss it.

It would be on of the most expensive sets I've ever bought...I don't remember how much the Blue box and MGM box cost, but I think they were more, and the Goldsmith at Fox set was five bucks more.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I had rented the OST from the library one time but I don't see it in itunes. I guess I was too put off by Dragonslayer (I only like the End Credits) and the 2001 rejected score (I only like the cue that sounds like the Dragonslayer End Credits) to further investigate Alex North's music .I also have a big "main titles" compilation I downloaded from somewhere and played it only once

So I don't really know this apart from a few cues from compilations

Anyway been waiting for this forever. Just wish it was entirely stereo What's the story with that, didn't they have access to the original tape?

They rotted in some mildew ridden studio basement. I guess I'd be pissed off if this was a holy grail I waited all my life to be released.

Wow, the members at FSM complain an unhealthy amount of times about every single release.

To be absolutely fair, some of them do have a point. If you're only interested in part of the set (like only the full mono score, or only the stereo presentation), $100++ is a lot to pay. Hopefully there are lots of collectors out there, because it seems to be a bit outside some budgets (especially since resellers buy at full price).

But with the announcement a month in advance, Townson is at least giving people some notice, and at 5000, I doubt it's going to sell out anytime in the next few months.

And 5000 x $109 = $545,000. Many parties were involved with the making of this release over many years, so the money will go around, justifying the cost.

I'm not sure if this is something I really want, or I think I want because so many other people really want.

I'm not sure if this is something I really want, or I think I want because so many other people really want.

:( My thoughts exactly. I'm sure I would enjoy it. But it's not a score I've already fallen for. Still thinking about it.

It doesn't hurt that it also has the distinguishing honor of being the most elaborate soundtrack release in history.

(You can just feel the greed glands swelling.)

I don't know about FSM, there's just too much whining.

I'm sorry (well not really sorry) the set costs what it does but it doesn't give one a right to act as if Varese is doing the worst act imaginable.

A CD is a luxury not a necessity. The hints were there that this was going to be something special. 6 CDs, a 98 min DVD, a book and the costs of assembling this make the price tag fair.

Someone complained about having a family and mortgage, well sorry bud. If you are going to have a family then they take priority. I've been down that road myself.

This is a special occasion and Robert Townson, as well as Varese, should be proud of what they have accomplished.

As far as the stereo mixes go, the "other" version has atrocious sound. Varese states that they assembled disc one using the surviving stereo elements. I believe that answers the questions.

The mono issue doesn't bother me. Sure, it would be nice to have the whole thing in stereo, but good mono is fine.

Which label did you end up going with? When I checked Intrada all I did was search "Spartacus" and it was the first thing that popped up. This is the most expensive CD order I've ever place as well... and I just got Spartacus. Second place would go to The Fury.

Since the price was indeed the same at Intrada (didn't compare the shipping costs), I stuck with SAE. Along with Spartacus I ordered The Edge, Mr. Atlas, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and (the following all used & cheap) Angie, Dinosaur, Rebecca (McNeely rec.), A Streetcar Named Desire (Goldsmith rec.) and Bat 21. I didn't even realise until now that this won't ship until August... but I have another SAE order on the way (including the two Treks), so I won't get bored.

Funny how I never hesitated at Spartacus' extreme price tag when for the same reason I never picked up the Blue Box.

At least with the Superman Blue Box you're getting what you paid for. You're paying for several complete scores and music from the animated series along with a few other stuff.

Funny how I never hesitated at Spartacus' extreme price tag when for the same reason I never picked up the Blue Box.

I said the same thing over at FSM.

At least with the Superman Blue Box you're getting what you paid for. You're paying for several complete scores and music from the animated series along with a few other stuff.

Are you saying you're not getting your money's worth with this set? 6 CDs, a DVD, and a 168-page book? That's not worth $100?

Yea Spartacus is $110 for 1 score. The Blue Box is $120 for 5 scores = $24/score.

That's a very clinical way of looking at it. I mean, if you want to talk pointless details, this Spartacus set is probably equivalent to the Blue Box in terms of total minutes of music and video footage per dollar. But so what? Anyone buying this set probably has more than a passing interest in Spartacus. It's a celebration of the score and of Alex North's entire career.

Well, the blu box is 8 CDs that we'll say are 75 minutes each for a total of 600 minutes.

The Spartacus set is 362 minutes (audio) + 96 minutes (video) = 458 minutes. Not to mention 71 minutes out of those 362 are identical to minutes already included, only in stereo.

I don't get why Koray, who likes John Williams and the superman score, wouldn't buy the blue box for all that.... where he is instantly buying Spartacus despite NEVER having heard it before (from what I remember reading)

I'm getting what I paid for with Spartacus. It's been years since I watched the movie, but I wanted to have the score ever since I first saw it over 10 years ago. I'd love to have the first third of Superman in good sound, but I don't care too much for the rest, and I haven't heard a single note of the other scores. Plus I don't like the movie, so I guess the book would be of limited appeal to me.

Frankly both sets are worth it, regardless of how many scores have been included.

You're getting a great deal of music with both. The Superman set has quite a bit of repetitive material in it throughout all 4 scores and the TV series.

And in defense of Koray I would have bought Spartacus even if I had never heard a note of it.

I just can't believe some of the complaining at FSM. If I were in a position where I couldn't afford it I wouldn't take it out on Varese. There are plenty of things in this world I want but can't afford but I'm not going around accusing companies of ripping off their loyal customers.

It's altogether likely and possible that the surviving sources of the Spartacus music were in very bad shape, and required a lot of expensive time to clean up. That counts for four discs of material.

Then there are two discs of brand new recordings by other composers who were inspired by North's score. I'm pretty sure that the recording studios weren't cheap and that the musicians were paid for their efforts.

And finally there's the DVD.

I bought the Superman Blue Box, but do you think I would have bought Superman II, III, IV, and all the cartoon music if they had been standalone extras? Of course not. I wouldn't be interested in Ken Thorne and Alexander Courage's recycling efforts of Williams' original material if it hadn't been bundled in such a lavish set.

The real fans of Spartacus the score will be as enthusiastic about this as the JW enthusiasts were for The Blue Box.

And in defense of Koray I would have bought Spartacus even if I had never heard a note of it.

Why would anyone who wasn't a millionaire spend $109 on a score they've NEVER heard? I don't get it.

These limited releases are never really that much of a risk, unless somebody needs cash fast. Koray can always cancel the order before August, and even if he goes through with it he can always sell it. He may have to lower the prices a bit, but if he can wait until it goes OOP, then he will have no problem getting rid of it without loosing any money and, depending how ruthless he is ( :( ), make a profit.

Why would anyone who wasn't a millionaire spend $109 on a score they've NEVER heard? I don't get it.

I liked the samples, and it's an enticing set that's a part of film music history. What's not to get? The only score I'm interested in that's in The Blue Box is Williams' score, which I already own. I did say not too long ago that when it reaches the low quantity alert that I'd snatch it up.

I'd say around 75% of my collection has been bought blind. With the exception of Superman, and a few of his 60's scores, every Williams score I have was bought before I saw the film.

Once I know a composer's music, I will buy his/her music before I see the film or hear samplings of the score. To me Spartacus is a must have in one's library/collection or whatever you want to call it. Plus I can afford it.

I know that, but you already know Spartacus's score. This is not a blind buy for you.

For someone who DOESN'T know the score, I'm surprised the price tag isn't enough to make them want to download and listen first before plunking down $110.

Well, there's a first for everything! Robert Townson responds.

Dispelling Myths, Addressing Misinformation

and Offering Insight on my new production

of Alex North’s SPARTACUS

In response to some questions we’ve received regarding the enormity of SPARTACUS, I thought it might be helpful to provide a little background. I also wanted to address some of the misinformation that is spreading on certain message boards.

Regarding the notion that this set would have or could have or been a fraction of its current price were it not for the two discs of Spartacus Love Theme variations … it’s just not true. This 2-CD set within the boxed set was discounted to just $10.00, as part of the box. Take the love themes away and we’re still looking at a $99.98 list. We cut all of the pricing as low as we possibly could. We were very mindful of current economic times and didn’t want to price SPARTACUS out of reach of too many music fans who really wanted it. Certainly even $20.00 can seem expensive to some people, but the enormous costs of studio and label licensing, Union fees, restoration, mastering, and packaging (which is itself so expensive), the music of SPARTACUS meant that even the restored score by itself would have been expensive. The elements needed a lot of work! After all, it’s taken 50 years for this to happen!! People who wanted a $10 or $20 Spartacus have had one of those for five decades! But when even a new pair of jeans or a nice shirt can pretty easily set you back $100 or more, I was very comfortable with where our pricing ended up on this.

As to the love themes themselves, I explain my thought process behind this part of the project in their own set of liner notes. What I will say here is that I designed each of the two CDs as a standalone listening experience. I would recommend listening to each disc on a separate day. That said, I think many will be struck by the wide range of styles and, in particular, be surprised by how distant the notion that you are listening to the same piece of music over and over again becomes. Within the variety of interpretations I find more inherent musical variety than I find in the majority of regular albums where each new track is an altogether different piece. Overcoming the feeling of repetition was the challenge this concept faced from the very beginning. That was the hurdle we had of overcome. There is a reason why nothing like this has been tried before. But the reason the set of love theme variations ended up as not just one but two discs is very simple. When that first disc was full I was astounded by what it offered. It exceeded my hopes in every way. Each of the musicians I invited to be part of it gave the project everything they had. And there was still more to come! I can’t imagine this SPARTACUS set without some of the final few recordings that came in. Alexandre Desplat’s performance on 12 flutes! Dave Grusin at the piano! Joel McNeely’s variation for flute and piano … I am so excited for people to explore these magical performances and hear the Spartacus Love Theme so ingeniously interpreted by such an exemplary group of musicians. I consider these discs an absolutely priceless bonus that was only possible due to the generosity of the composers themselves, and an integral part of presenting Alex North’s SPARTACUS. There is a remarkable history to this melody and it has been being explored by legendary musicians for the entire duration of its 50 years. I just couldn’t ignore this extremely unique part of the SPARTACUS story.

As to the documentary, again it grew beyond what I planned simply because of what everyone had to say! My idea was to produce a 10- or 20-minute featurette along the lines of the score features that appear on some film DVDs. It seemed odd that no similar piece had ever been produced to accompany a soundtrack release. That was the plan — and it went out the window on the very first day of filming. The documentary includes 25 minutes of John Williams alone discussing his friendship with Alex North and a detailed discussion of the SPARTACUS score. How utterly fascinating to hear such a musical legend discuss enthusiastically and in depth his own appreciation for the father of modern film music. And everyone had unique stories to tell and insights to offer. We just couldn’t have left this on the cutting room floor. I even had to turn away other composers who had agreed to be part of the project just to keep this film from becoming a 2-DVD set! For that matter, I could still be recording love themes! And we absorbed all of the extra costs of expanding the documentary without raising the list price at all.

I can’t wait for the people who have ordered this set to receive it and discover everything it offers and all of the things that are simply impossible to convey in any announcement.

So, yes, it’s big. But it’s big because of the score. It couldn’t have been anything else.

It’s SPARTACUS!

Anyone else not buying this?

:lol:

It's clear Townson put a lot of love into this (not that I had doubts) and I'm sure this boxset will be really a one-of-a-kind item. After reading his words, my heart sank even more that I can't afford this now.

Well, let's hope it will be around enough time to let me save some cash! :lol:

Good of him to come out with some notes on the release. He doesn't owe it to anyone at all, but I'm sure if he would do this sort of thing more his CDs would sell even more. And he succeeds in making the John Williams segment and the 2CD interpretations even more enticing than they already were damnit! Too bad I can't afford this. Hopefully it'll stick around for a long time.

Well after finally seeing Robert Townson in that video montage posted on the site, I've come to realize he's just a really big film score nerd who made it big. Perhaps one day, Neil S. Bulk can deliver us the Star Wars we deserve! :lol:

I'm not going to complain one bit about the release, but I would have liked a cheaper option with just the 2 disc mono complete score for us more frugal or financially strapped buyers. I have no problems with Townson's defense, however.

Yeah, 25 minutes! I wonder why he didn't provide an arrangement, probably some humble reason like he didn't want to ruin it :lol:

At 25 minutes, Williams probably manages to cover as much stuff as others might in 5 minutes. :P

Frankly he doesn't owe anyone an explanation, I'm excited to sit down and watch Williams' segment.

Indeed. That will be a real treat.

After reading Mr. Townson's comments, I'm more interested in buying this. It's not a question of affording it. It's the question of guilt I'd get from slamming that much money on myself in one drop on something I can't really share with anybody else...

...looks up at The Blue Box on one shelf, and a pile of 37+ albums waiting to be opened, ripped, and listened to...

What the hell.

After reading Mr. Townson's comments, I'm more interested in buying this. It's not a question of affording it. It's the question of guilt I'd get from slamming that much money on myself in one drop on something I can't really share with anybody else...

...looks up at The Blue Box on one shelf, and a pile of 37+ albums waiting to be opened, ripped, and listened to...

What the hell.

ROTFLMAO

For me this is a score in the same league as the Star Wars scores, empire strikes back even. I'll happily pay $109.

I've missed out on so many limited editions due to limited funds... Predator, Die Hard, The 'Burbs, Project X, Hanover Street, The Goonies, Commando... but not this, I'm buying this even if I have to print the money myself and slot it into the computer and demand the drive accept!

While Townson certainly doesn't owe an explanation, I think he's made the right judgement in clarifying some things about the set. Considering the ease with which regular scores appear on CD, restoring the 50 year old material must've taken some work, and it's got to be paid for. Very reasonable.

He pointed out something similar when the Goldsmith box came out, that removing all the cues people already had would'nt have removed much from the cost.

It still didn't work.

I love how new posters start popping up on FSM claiming that all these elements exist.

I admit I wasn't expecting the price to be $109.00. I was expecting to spend $69.95 at the most, but looking at what's included I can't argue with the pricing.

I understand if someone can't afford it but to bitch to the extent that some have is just ridiculous. By their rational, I should take arms against anything that is priced out of my financial means, common sense be damned.

People complain Varese doesn't provide liner notes so we get a 163 page book for Spartacus and now they complain.

You wanted Spartacus, you got Spartacus. Remember the old saying, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

What the hell.

Famous last words.

On the night I travel back in time you will be shot by terrorists. Please do whatever is necessary to prevent this terrible tragedy from occurring. Your friend.

What about all that talk about screwing up future events? The space-time continuum?

Well, I figured, what the hell?

I admit I wasn't expecting the price to be $109.00. I was expecting to spend $69.95 at the most, but looking at what's included I can't argue with the pricing.

Besides, if you can't afford it right away, is it really that burdensome to set aside an extra $25 each month until you can?

ROTFLMAO

That's one I hadn't seen yet.

I'm excited to see the 25 minute John Williams interview. Hopefully someone will put it on the youtubes

• 5 weeks later...