Spartacus Anniversary Edition

Joe Brausam

If you watch the DVD he doesn't come across as smug as those words appear to make him out to be. He's very sincere and humble in his praise.

It's just a project he really wanted to do.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were a giant film score fan that made it big with your own label, wouldn't you want to release your favorite score in the best and most ultimate way possible? Townson did it, you wouldn't call him "full of himself" if he did this for Star Wars or something.

To be fair, Rich wasn't talking about the entire presentation or concept, just the words he chose to use in the liner notes

Well it obviously means a lot to Townson, I'm sure some people here feel that way about Star Wars or some other JW score... especially if you knew Williams.

My Love Theme And Variations booklet is terribly cut. All crooked and there's still some white leftover which should have been cut off.

My Love Theme And Variations booklet is terribly cut. All crooked and there's still some white leftover which should have been cut off.

Did you email them for a replacement, or is it not a big deal to you?

I have Spartacus!!!

Ahem.

:|

Cue CD3 track 20. 'I Am Spartacus'. ;)

Naturally.

Listening to disc 2 of the variations album now.

Some real nice stuff here.

Some less so. Debney's just had a bizarre mood shift about 3 minutes in. ;)

"Gladiators Fight to the Death (Druba Fight)" is one of the most spectacular, hectic pieces of action scoring I've ever heard. Love everything about this score. I worked out an iTunes playlist to combine the mono with stereo, and it plays quite seamlessly (except that a couple album edits are retained this way, but I'm not fretting over details). I also jettisoned the Overture and Entr'acte, as they're just redundant edits. The original Overture sounds interesting, but the sound quality might be too poor to integrate it with the rest of the score.

I really love the cover by Nathan Barr and Lisbeth Scott. So sweet sounding.

I worked out an iTunes playlist to combine the mono with stereo, and it plays quite seamlessly (except that a couple album edits are retained this way, but I'm not fretting over details).

I'd be interested in that tracklist if you wouldn't mind posting it.

John Neufeld And Marty Krystall -- Spartacus Love Theme :|

What's the Williams interview like?

And I didn't mean to directly follow up your post and switch gears to JW. I'm genuinely curious how that session plays out.

Haven't watched it yet.

I worked out an iTunes playlist to combine the mono with stereo, and it plays quite seamlessly (except that a couple album edits are retained this way, but I'm not fretting over details).

Sure. Give me a few minutes to type it up with notes.

Main Title (d1t2)

The Mines (d1t3)

The Caravan (d1t4)

Varinia's Theme (d2t5)

Training the Gladiators (d2t6)

Painting (d2t7)

Spartacus' Cell (d2t8)

Kitchen (d2t9)

Training the Gladiators #2 (d2t10)

Kitchen #2 (d2t11)

Crassus (d2t12)

Source Music #2 (d2t13)

Source Music #1 (d2t14)

First Pair (d1t5)

Gladiators Fight to the Death (d1t6) *omits first 40 seconds or so, which are just percussion - full version is "Draba Fight," d2t16

Kill (d2t17)

Brooding (d1t7)

Revolt (t2t19)

The Breakout (d2t20)

Slaves Escape (d2t21)

Crassus Home (d2t22)

Deserted School (d2t23)

On to Vesuvius: Forward, Gladiators/First Meeting (d1t8)

Oysters and Snails (Film Version) (d1t9)

Hopeful Preparations/Vesuvius Camp (d1t10)

New Recruits (d2t27)

Glabrus March (d2t28)

Vesuvius Montage (d1t11)

Poem (d2t30)

Blue Shadows and Purple Hills (d1t12)

Headed for Freedom (d1t13) ** trimmed down by 30 seconds - full version is "Glabrus Defeated," d2t32

Glabrus Disgraced (d2t33)

Homeward Bound: On to the Sea/Beside the Pool (d1t14) ** combination of "On to the Sea," "Luceria Camp" and "Beside the Pool" - it's all in chronological order, just joined unnecessarily (not that I mind)

Dusty March (d3t5)

Metapontum Triumph (d1t15)

Roman Baths (d3t7)

Arrival at the Beach (d3t8)

Festival (d1t16)

Sound the Trumpet (d3t10)

Crassus Legions (d3t11)

Back from the Sea (d3t12)

Crassus' Camp (d3t13)

Expectant Parents (d1t17)

Prelude to Battle: Quiet Interlude/The Final Conflict (d1t18) ** trimmed down by 20 seconds - full versions are "Camp at Night" (d3t14) and "Maneuvers" (d3t16) - also, "Expectant Parents" falls between these two cues

Formations (d1t19)

The Battle (d3t18)

Desolation Elegy (d3t19)

I Am Spartacus (d3t20)

Recognition and Crucifixion March (d3t21)

Night Crucifixion (d3t22)

Varinia and Crassus (d3t23)

Fear of Death (d3t24)

Spartacus Defies Crassus (d3t25)

The Last Fight (d3t26)

Goodbye, My Life, My Love - End Title (d1t20)

Spartacus Love Theme (d1t21)

Apologies if there are any errors.

What's the Williams interview like?

I mentioned some of it my initial review.

Williams has high praise for North, which is no surprise. He also expresses his gratitude to Varese for releasing this set.

He also spends time talking about North and his influence and status among modern composers.

Sure. Give me a few minutes to type it up with notes.

Cool. Thanks. :)

Got through about half of it. It is quite seamless as you said.

Not sure just how I'm going to organize everything in Winamp yet.

This listen through (my third) SOURCE MUSIC #1 has really jumped out at me.

You wouldn't think much of it with a track title like that, but I think it gives the love theme a run for it's money.

So delicately beautiful. In the book, Goldsmith comments: "Nobody wrote wallpaper like Alex!"

I quite agree.

• 8 months later...

Well here we are, 9 months later. I'm curious to ask those of you who bought this:

How often do you find your self listening to any of this music lately?

Did you end up liking the set more or less than you were expecting to?

How many times have you listened to the love theme variations discs?

Overall, are you happy with your purchase? Do you feel like you might have gotten caught up in the hype a bit, or does the set completely live up to the hype?

Do you think the price is justified based on the content provided?

I was actually just thinking the other day that I really need to go through this set.

I've listened to complete score in stereo a few times, and I think most of the other material once. Never watched the DVD or went through the book. I'd say for the packaging and everything provided, it's worth the $100, it's just a matter if you're that into the music.

Yeah, I'd say so. I wish I'd listen to it more, but I can say that for pretty much all of my music. My collection is ever-expanding, so I don't spend nearly as much time on a particular score like most other members here do.

Are you thinking about getting it? Listen to the samples, or the original OST, before you take the plunge.

The first thing I did when I received the set was watch the DVD.

I've played the hell out of this set, it makes it's way into my rotation quite a bit. Yes I've listened to all the discs, I will admit the love theme set doesn't get s much play but that has more to do with the original score getting more play.

I think the pricing was justified and I do not regret paying for it. This is one of the best assembled and packaged releases of film music to come along. This was one of my true holy grails.

Mark, do you mostly listen to the complete mono score, the non-complete stereo score, or did you make a custom itunes playlist of stereo wherever possible and then mono otherwise?

It depends on my mood, sometimes I'll play the stereo version or the mono. I have both albums set up separately in iTunes as the stereo score and then the mono version.

I haven't had a chance to sit and look at the possibility of combining and itunes album with both mono and stereo.

Given that I'm running out of room on my iPod, I may need to look at doing some of this, to include albums like FSM's 100 Rifles that features both mono and stereo versions of the scores.

I don't regret the purchase at all.

I play this score a LOT at least once or twice a week. Even if not all the way through the I listen to my favorite cues (tough, because I love all of them) since musically the majority of cues work VERY well as self contained pieces of music.

I listen to the mono score more, just because it has more material. If I'm only interested in listening to one or two specific favorites I'll turn on the stereo album. They are on separate playlists.

The alternates disc gets a little play, the music is good and I really like some of the preliminary recordings presented with the piano/percussion. The version of "Desolation Elegy" on this disc works so well that it could even be a performable piece of concert music for voice/piano/percussion.

The Love Theme discs are really great and there is a lot of variety in the music, don't buy into the idea that they're all jazz and thus all sound the same. Jazz always sounds different, and there are some "classical" style renditions as well. It's interesting to hear what each performer brings to this music.

The book I've read once, like any other book, but it's very informative and well written.

It's really a wonderful set that to me was worth every penny. And the best part? All I heard from this score prior to the set was the main title. And here I am singing praise for the whole thing - the best kind of blind buy!

I've listened to complete score in stereo a few times

Heck, send those exclusive recording sessions you have to Robert townson, he would be pleased to own it, and probably release it.

:P

Heck, send those exclusive recording sessions you have to Robert townson, he would be pleased to own it, and probably release it.

I daresay he would feel it's be up to him, and would consider it his responsibility.

This should have been released as 3 disc set with price tag around 35 dollars. This music should be more acessible. This was a indulget release to say the least

I'm happy with the release it got, it deserved it. Townson had the right to do whatever he wanted for this score.

That being said, I agree that someday there should be a "budget" release of this score. But I doubt it'll happen until the box sells through, and at 5000 units I don't see that happening any time soon.

I don't know what he was thinking with that. If he had a $30-40 set then 5000 units would have been a nice choice. But for that box? Something like 2000 would have sufficed.

Well, maybe he was thinking he'd like it to be in print for 20 years so that new generations of film score fans could discover the score and continue to enjoy it.

Yea. Personally I would have done the elaborate $110 box at 2000 units, then paid for an unlimited release of a 2CD complete score

Kinda different, that at least has enough content included to justify the price.

Listened to the first disc for three times, and the rest for once.

It's a collectors' item, for add into collection, but not for listen. It's Alex North after all.

But Dragonslayer and Spartacus are on two completely separate ends of the spectrum. Granted Spartacus has some dissonant and modernistic passages, but the heart of it comes from traditional symphonic music and even jazz. All very accessible. I mean if you don't enjoy this style of writing it's one thing, but this score is much loved for a reason, it's great music that people can easily connect with. For every cue that may not be to your liking you also have things like "Vesuvius Camp", "Blue Mountains and Purple Hills", "Goodbye My Life, My Love", "Metapontum Triumph", "Forest Meeting"...the list can go on endlessly! This is North in his most accessible mode. What he wrote not only in this score but in others was extremely influential music, just look at how many composers today cite North as a favorite. He was a consummate musician and even his most difficult works, like Dragonslayer, have great merit both from a musical standpoint and from the standpoint of how they accompany the film. Listen to the music, don't just idly try to sit through it. You'll find it to be rewarding, I'm sure.

Never mind, I always have the chance to listen since I already placed order in the first day it release. I just found that it is hard to go into the mood of the music. Gorgeous? Yes. Emotional? to me, no.

I've listened to the set a lot and I'm quite pleased with it.

My favorite cover of the love theme is by Nathan Barr and Lisabeth Scott.

Dragonslayer is an excellent score.

I applaud the studio for allowing North to write that kind of score, even though they did mess with it a tad within the film.