Question for a marimba player

filmmusic

Hello. i'm not sure if anyone here plays the marimba but i have some questions.

i was asked to write a trio which includes a marimba.

i was thinking of using the bowing technique in the 2nd movement.

so i want the player to have 2 bows , one in each hand.

- is it possible to play 2 notes simultaneously that way, one in white keys and one in black? i say this becasue the one hand should be in front of the instrument and the other should be behind the instrument.

- also is it possible to play a melody (always bowing) that would include notes in white and black keys? (e.g. Do -Mib- Sol - Fa#) and if it is, how fast could it be the most (e.g. 8ths in adagio? )

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not a percussionist...

It is probably best to have the part performed by two percussionists, if possible. On several occasions, I've seen many fine percussionists play two notes together with ease. However, when you start to get into moving passages, you start to run into issues of note-length. Now, a performer would probably be able to perform it at your tempo of "Adagio". Depending upon the passage and desired musical interpretation, the player may have a tendency to shorten his note lengths because of the 1) stretch of his body to play on "both sides" and 2) the slightly awkward body motion of having to perform complex rhythms, if present. In this instance, an eighth-note triplet is considered a complex rhythm.

Your passages will just flow better. Just place yourself in the position of the performer. Would it be comfortable to be in that position that long? etc.

Just use good compositional judgement, and I'm sure that you'll write something playable and enjoyable for all. wink.gif

You can indeed bow a white key and a black key at the same time, but it is difficult. You also need to be very careful about going too fast. Sound production on marimba (or vibraphone or whatnot) with a bow is a lot slower and more subtle than with mallets, which means the notes need to be a lot longer in order to be heard. I suppose you could write a sixteenth-note passage at 120 BPM, and experienced percussionists could perhaps play it, but I don't think you'd hear anything.

(Granted, I have more experience with bowing vibraphones than marimbas, so it could be that the sound comes more readily on the marimba.)

A few additional comments:

First I would advise against writing any important melodic material bowed. More than likely it won't come off as you intend. Just realize you're dealing with an effect that has essentially no attack and will die away pretty quickly. That combined with having to carefully move and place the bow for each note which becomes much more difficult if your moving back and forth from natural keys to the sharp/flat keys will create significant gaps between sounds and make it exceptionally difficult and in some instances impossible to make a smooth melodic line.

Here's a great piece to give you an idea of the speed with which you can move around with two bows, Mourning Dove Sonnet by Christopher Deane:

Granted it's being played on a vibraphone where the sound sustains for much much longer but the concept is basically the same.

(Granted, I have more experience with bowing vibraphones than marimbas, so it could be that the sound comes more readily on the marimba.)

I've found that marimbas speak a little slower than vibes but not significantly so. The real difference is with the resonance which can die all but immediately in the middle range on up.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

Here's a great piece to give you an idea of the speed with which you can move around with two bows, Mourning Dove Sonnet by Christopher Deane:

Granted it's being played on a vibraphone where the sound sustains for much much longer but the concept is basically the same.

that was great! i hadn't imagined that someone could hold in the same hand both a mallet AND a bow!