Movies without Film Scores or Music

DU Lou

It occured to me last night that I can only think of 2 films with music say beyond the opening or closing title sequences. No film score, no pop music, barely any source music either. The first film I know for a fact since I watched it last night and thats "The China Syndrome." It had only one song in the opening title sequence and nothing at the end. Silence. The second that came to my mind i only saw once a few years ago so I am not as certain about but I think "The Blair Witch Project" has no score either.

Any others??

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Birds has no underscore, although Bernard Herrmann was employed as an adviser for the sound effects. (they probably wanted his take on how to make the best, scariest, use of bird screeking)

Stefancos- who cannot think of any other.

Actually; The Blair Witch Project HAS music. It's composed in such a manner that it's unnoticable AS music, but especially during the final scenes it truly hightens the creepy atmosphere of the film.

I love The Blair Witch Project.

I remember wanting to watch that with my girlfriend, but I turned it of since it gave her a headache. We watched Moulin Rouge instead, which I also love and is very close to my heart.

Bye,

Roald

When I remember correctly, "Little Odessa" with Tim Roth, Maximilian Schell and Edward Furlong has very few music... only in some select scenes, and there it's used to great effect.

Lou,

Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon, starring Al Pacino, is another film with no underscore. I also have in my mind one of Spencer Tracy's later films that has no music, but I cannot remember which one. Any takers?

By the way, Blair Witch Project made me feel a bit seasick so I had to stop the video a couple of times to make sure I did not replicate the following popular emoticon:

:)

Damien

One that sprung to my mind immediately is one of my favourite movies THE HILL (1965) with Sean Connery. The entire film is scoreless and the power of it infact comes from the excellent cinematography and just the sounds of military boots clomping, steel prison doors slamming, officers keys changling and the echoes of Staff Sergeant shouts down the wings. A masterpiece of film making if you ask me. Very few films would stand so proudly without a score thesedays.

thehill2.jpg

"It gets hot on that hill Roberts....hot"

Lou,

Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon, starring Al Pacino, is another film with no underscore.

Also "12 Angry Men" Has no score... thats a great movie i think

I think we're on to something here... In addition to these two Sidney Lumet movies, also his "Network" and "Fail Safe" has no underscore, and, if I'm not mistaken- except for the theme of the news show in the forme, no music at all.

But it's not because he's opposed to it or something- The Excellent "Murder on the Orient Express" has a great score by Richard Rodney Bennet, including the famous train waltz.

Actually, the score is over twice as long as that. (36 minutes)

Stefancos- who has the dvd with isolated score.  :thumbup:

Okay okay i was wrong....sometimes it can happen ! :folder:

• 2 weeks later...

Frankenstein has no score either but it needs one.

Bride of Frankenstein has one and the effects are night and day.

Wages of Fear is one of the most susenseful films ever made as well as one of the most influential films of all time, especially within the action/suspense genre. it had no score, and it was quite a wise decision. i have always been a believer in film scores and i think that in a broad sense that the film score is an important element to Film. to deny that is to not understand the Film medium if you ask me. music came before spoken dialogue. but there are many many films that don't have scores and function beautifully without them. and Wages of Fear proves that point without a shadow of a doubt.

Ted

How come IMDB says Original Music by Bernhard Kaun then?

It's been quite a while since I've seen "Wages of Fear," but I do remember after all these years the sardonic effect of the dance music in the jawdropping finale. If there really was no score, as you say, the director didn't mind a little cheating, since the source music is integrated into the crosscutting images in such a way, it is the virtually as if it had been underscored. Definitely worth renting again to check it out.

But it's not because he's opposed to it or something-  The Excellent "Murder on the Orient Express" has a great score by Richard Rodney Bennet, including the famous train waltz.

And then there's the much-maligned Lumet film "The Wiz." For some reason, there's all hese songs thrown in there. I don't get it.

Just kidding. That's one of my favorite movie musicals of all time. Great use of color, great songs, better than the stage play. Lumet deserved more credit for that film.