Anakin's Theme

David Coscina

I put on The Phantom Menace after many many years have passed and what struck me was how amazing Anakin's theme is. This is really a wonderfully composed theme.

in fact there's a lot to like in the entire score of TPM. I don't think it's any better or worse than the subsequent prequel scores in fact.

It is indeed great, the theme and the score.

Apart from being a gorgeous listen, those cameo moments are fantastically chilling. The one complaint I think I'd have for it was that is doesn't really seem to fit the character all too well.

The rest of the score is a powerhouse of action and bombast. It fits perfectly into the Star Wars canon, even though it is really one of its kind in terms of style (at least as far as SW scores are concerned). I see it is a big transition point. It's the middle ground between modern Williams and the Williams that wrote the OT, and because of this it allowed Williams to achieve a more seamless feel as he pulled the SW scores farther and farther from their traditional roots in AotC and RotS (to marvelous effect, IMO).

I like Anakin's theme, but I've actually considered it a big overrated around these parts. I think a lot of people here really love it.

As to the score as a whole, though, I'd say it's utterly brilliant. Different than the original scores, certainly - but they're quite different from each other, too. I'd say it's a very worthy part of the canon.

It's a shame the theme was abandoned for the remaining prequels instead of countinuing its development towards the Imperial March.

TPM was the last great SW score.

I like the theme very much. It is actually perhaps the most connected to the old trilogy in style and progression of all the new themes in the Prequels. And I do not think it is underrated by any means. Not discussing it all the time does not make it underrated.

It's a shame the theme was abandoned for the remaining prequels instead of countinuing its development towards the Imperial March.

That was a surprising creative call but I do not think that in the light of the subsequent films it would have worked very well for the older Anakin. It is too innocent and sweet. I agree that some sort of hints and permutations would have been welcome along the way but from the films you get the idea that Lucas and Williams anchored the theme to Anakin's childhood. One thread of musical continuity was lost that way.

The theme does appear as a reminder of Anakin's childhood in both AotC and RotS.

For me, it is more surprising that the theme is completely absent from the last act of TMP.

For me, it is more surprising that the theme is completely absent from the last act of TMP.

Wasn't some swashbuckling music in the final battle (when they take the ships from the hangar) based on this theme? The track 12 on the original OST, I think.

Karol

TPM was the last great SW score.

Agreed.

I was very dissapointed with AOTC and ROTS scores, how it didnt even attempt to build "Anakin's Theme" towards Vader's "Imperial March".

Anakin's Theme, as well as the score to TPM, was something that Williams really seemed enthused about tackling.

Anakin's theme fits in well with the music from the original trilogy. I think it may be underrated because it never progressed the way Williams intended.

Anakin's theme makes a very prominent appearance during the end of the credits of AOTC on the OST. It and Across The Stars kind of play with each-other for a few seconds, before hints of the Imperial March take over and end it. That's the closest thing to a transition we ever got.

Where does it actually appear in AOTC and ROTS, though?

EDIT: Listening to it again, at the very, very end of that sequence, Williams seems to have merged Across The Stars, Anakin's Theme, and the Imperial March all into one flute sequence, it's quite cool.

Anakin's theme fits in well with the music from the original trilogy. I think it may be underrated because it never progressed the way Williams intended.

Was that Lucas' fault that is never appeared again or was that Williams'?

But yes the theme is great and underrated. I'm not sure if I would agree with TPM is the last great Star Wars score. TPM is definitely the best, but I don't know if Revenge of the Sith is great or not. I'm split on the issue.

When Anakin meets Padme at the beginning of AotC and when Anakin is sitting outside by a fountain after having had a nightmare in RotS.

If you listen carefully, you will hear that "Anakin's Theme" is simply "Darth Vader's Theme" cut up and put back to gether in a different order. While we are on the subject, "Across The Stars" is a descending version of "Luke's Theme".

Yeah, and all four are actually variations on The Emperor's Theme. :P

There are those who would tell you that after TPM fiasco with the music that Williams wasn't as enthused. The music takes a backseat in the other two films.

When Anakin meets Padme at the beginning of AotC and when Anakin is sitting outside by a fountain after having had a nightmare in RotS.

And in the scene when Anakin discusses the nightmare about his mother in AotC. (Although tracked, the theme works very well, as a reminder of his mother, and ties with the nightmare scene in RotS as well).

There are those who would tell you that after TPM fiasco with the music that Williams wasn't as enthused. The music takes a backseat in the other two films.

Absolutely not true. The music is as prominent as in the other films, and both movies have many "just hear the music" moments.

I disagree. AotC and RotS seem to be inspired to me. They do something new with the classic SW style, even more than TPM.

thanks for the Laugh. Inspired. AOTC is terrible, but perhaps you're right as Rots is inspired by Star Wars since all it's best music is from Star Wars.

Speaking of Anakin's theme, AOTC and ROTS needed some kind of theme for Anakin. Not this sappy childish theme from TPM, but something that could be heroic and sad to underscore the rise and fall of the character as it should have been portrayed. Not the Force theme or Imperial March, either. The original SW doesn't even have the Imperial March, so don't get me started on its appearances in the prequel scores. Don't forget that Vader was this sort of grunt character in the original movie anyway. He took orders from that walking corpse Tarkin. He was an instrument, the Emperor's errand boy. A fairly pathetic character indeed (although scary and certainly not a guy you would fuck with). In Empire, though, he assumes command of the Empire, apparently answering only to the Emperor himself. He gives the orders, he flies in the big ass spaceship and he kills his own officers when they fail him. Plus, we find out he's human underneath that suit and that he was once Luke's father, the great Jedi! He truly becomes this epic villain for the ages and the Imperial March is the perfect anthem for his evil deeds and the horror of the Empire under his command. Plus, it sounds cool. He needed cool music since he in fact became truly cool in that movie.

Hearing the Imperial March when Hayden Christensen yells about the sandpeople is hilarious.

The original SW doesn't even have the Imperial March, so don't get me started on its appearances in the prequel scores. command. Plus, it sounds cool. He needed cool music since he in fact became truly cool in that movie.

Yes, but if you accept that the prequels are actually prequels than the Imperial March is a variation on Anakin's theme. There is no Anakin in the original SW. There is a man in the suit with no human feelings whatsoever. The character re-appears in TESB and so does the theme. Although in this malevolent militaristic fashion. The Imperial theme in the original is therefore is just... an Imperial theme. That's how I interpret it. Or, better yet, adjust interpretation to the lack of continuity. :P

Hearing the Imperial March when Hayden Christensen yells about the sandpeople is hilarious.

I'll drink to that. Literally.

Karol

Speaking of Anakin's theme, AOTC and ROTS needed some kind of theme for Anakin. Not this sappy childish theme from TPM, but something that could be heroic and sad to underscore the rise and fall of the character as it should have been portrayed. Not the Force theme or Imperial March, either. The original SW doesn't even have the Imperial March, so don't get me started on its appearances in the prequel scores. Don't forget that Vader was this sort of grunt character in the original movie anyway. He took orders from that walking corpse Tarkin. He was an instrument, the Emperor's errand boy. A fairly pathetic character indeed (although scary and certainly not a guy you would fuck with). In Empire, though, he assumes command of the Empire, apparently answering only to the Emperor himself. He gives the orders, he flies in the big ass spaceship and he kills his own officers when they fail him. Plus, we find out he's human underneath that suit and that he was once Luke's father, the great Jedi! He truly becomes this epic villain for the ages and the Imperial March is the perfect anthem for his evil deeds and the horror of the Empire under his command. Plus, it sounds cool. He needed cool music since he in fact became truly cool in that movie.

... Well, there are many reasons why that scene is hilarious.

I don't think there would have been any point to musical continuity based on character because the characters changed so radically for the prequel trilogy. Neither Jake Lloyd nor Hayden Christensen made any apparent effort to act like David Prowse/James Earl Jones, and the scripts certainly didn't steer them toward being Tarkin's lap dog. (I think it was always clear, though, that Vader would come into his own, while Tarkin was just the villain-of-the-month.) So... what was Williams supposed to do with all that? I'm not sure, although I would have less liked Imperial March and more "Imperial motif," certainly during the finale of AotC. The Imperial March is never able to rise as high in RotS as it does in AotC.

I disagree. AotC and RotS seem to be inspired to me. They do something new with the classic SW style, even more than TPM.

thanks for the Laugh. Inspired. AOTC is terrible, but perhaps you're right as Rots is inspired by Star Wars since all it's best music is from Star Wars.

Well, if you believe that Star Wars is the best of the bunch, couldn't the same be said about all the other sequels as well (episodes V, VI, I, and II)? You always single out Revenge of the Sith in this regard but I don't see how that's much more true of Sith than it is of the others, since they all quote at least the Main Title and the theme for the Force.

Seems unfair to discount like that the other great music that was written for it (not to mention the unique variations on the reused Force theme, in particular).

If you listen carefully, you will hear that "Anakin's Theme" is simply "Darth Vader's Theme" cut up and put back to gether in a different order. While we are on the subject, "Across The Stars" is a descending version of "Luke's Theme".

Yeah, and all four are actually variations on The Emperor's Theme. :D

How can "Darth Vader's Theme" be based on something that J.W. did not compose for another 3 years? :ola:

How can "Darth Vader's Theme" be based on something that J.W. did not compose for another 3 years? :ola:

It is a JWFan inside joke :)

Anakin's Theme, as well as the score to TPM, was something that Williams really seemed enthused about tackling.

And that's one of the greatest tragedies of the whole saga. Anakin's Theme was very cleverly written and woven into the first installment. But after George and Ben went crazy in the editing room, any desire to add a second layer of complexity to the theme vanished from Williams' mind. Across the Stars was a nice substitute, but it's not what we were expecting theme-development-wise, and the bold declaration of The Imperial March with the debut of the clone army put to bed any thought of getting an evolved theme. Because TIM arrived in ROTS in its "modern" form by way of cut and paste, not evolution.

How can "Darth Vader's Theme" be based on something that J.W. did not compose for another 3 years? ;)

It is a JWFan inside joke :)

You never heard the Emperor's theme in Anakin's theme?

You never heard the Emperor's theme in Anakin's theme?

Well yes of course. Everything Williams has written since 1966 is one way or the other a variation on Emperor's theme.

• 11 years later...