Family Plot coming soon?

pixie_twinkle

I just got this reply from Screen Archives Entertainment regarding a defective disc. At the end of my e-mail I jokingly asked if Family Plot could be an upcoming release. Here's the response!

"We are sorry about your defective cd. Have you tried multiple players? There is no need to return it back to us. If you do not mind would please request a replacement in the notes field of your next order and our shipping department will include one with your order.

Family Plot coming soon - "

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some rumblings but they are just rumors.

Ed could be joking or serious, he's dropped hints before, with the Rozsa box set, before Lukas said anything.

A few years ago Islands In The Stream, Black Sunday, The Blue Max, Prophecy and Players would have been spread out over a year.

Now they are just a weekly thing. :lol:

Considering it's always "Archibald"* that's answering mails at SAE, it won't do much good!

;)

*Actual name removed by FSM, the shadow government of JWFan.

If 2010 is the year we finally get all the 70's and 80's unreleased scores to see a release, I hope 2011 is when we start seeing expanded 90's and 2000's scores come out regularly. Stuff like Independence Day, Jurassic Park, Hook, Willow, SW prequels, Harry Potters, etc

If 2010 is the year we finally get all the 70's and 80's unreleased scores to see a release, I hope 2011 is when we start seeing expanded 90's and 2000's scores come out regularly. Stuff like Independence Day, Jurassic Park, Hook, Willow, SW prequels, Harry Potters, etc

Glad I'm not the only one who hopes that, although my wallet won't if they come out as regularly as this.

OK, seriously, is Family Plot really that good? Or is it "just" such a Holy Grail only for the fact it's unreleased. I haven't seen the movie and I have only heard the main theme, but just on the basis of this little piece of music I cannot say I look forward to this release. Not at all.

I'll be honest and say it's a nice score, nothing I would rank among Williams' top 20. The fact that it's for Hitchcock's last film adds some important value, much like Sugarland Express for Spielberg's first with Williams.

I'm sure hearing it in stereo (if available) will add more appreciation, but it's far from Williams' best work.

well poor man, that is classified information.

i hope he is not fired...

great news, though ;)

I removed his name from the original post so hopefully his job is safe! ;)

He's been there long enough so if he did drop a hint it probably won't hurt. I just wouldn't go posting it on every message board that he did tell you that.

Advice noted.

Even so... Woooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I can't imagine anyone not being excited about the possibility of this release. It's Hitchcock's final film, and it's a truly magical Williams score. It's mischievous and playful from start to finish. If anyone here hasn't seen the film I highly recommend it. It's hardly Hitchcock's best, but it's a lot of fun and you really should hear that score in context (so far the only way we can hear it!)

OK, seriously, is Family Plot really that good? Or is it "just" such a Holy Grail only for the fact it's unreleased.

From what I can remember, no, it's not really that good.

I'll still get it of course.

OK, seriously, is Family Plot really that good? Or is it "just" such a Holy Grail only for the fact it's unreleased. I haven't seen the movie and I have only heard the main theme, but just on the basis of this little piece of music I cannot say I look forward to this release. Not at all.

The main theme is quite nice, but having seen one or two Hitchcock films, I can't imagine a Williams score for one of them being something I'd like.

Williams + low key + mysterious != me.enjoyment ;) (I've been doing a lot of programming at work this week...)

OK, seriously, is Family Plot really that good? Or is it "just" such a Holy Grail only for the fact it's unreleased.

Fanboy!

The main theme is quite nice, but having seen one or two Hitchcock films, I can't imagine a Williams score for one of them being something I'd like.

Williams + low key + mysterious != me.enjoyment :P (I've been doing a lot of programming at work this week...)

Fanboy!

Actually Williams' music works very well with Family Plot as it's quite an atypical Hitchcock film. It's more of a comedy than a thriller, with a little mystery thrown in for good measure.

It's more a grail to me than Black Sunday. I've wanted it ever since I heard the "Main theme" re-recording on a Hitchcock compilation. I even taped the audio of the first 5 minutes of the film to hear that seance cue

I think it's more of a Holy Grail than all Goldsmith scores that got recent releases ,Goonies,Back to the Future...whatever.

Even in the 90's it was considered a top Williams score to have on c.d. one day .

that's not true. there's many Williams score I don't think expanded releases are nessesary .I don't care if Sugerland Express is ever released

the ones I keep complaining about are the same ones that never get released (Family Plot is one of them)

Can't wait. My top major unreleased highlights of JW's career includes the Family Plot score. I love the choral stuff for Madame Blanche, the villain theme and the main theme in all its various incarnations.

It's more a grail to me than Black Sunday. I've wanted it ever since I heard the "Main theme" re-recording on a Hitchcock compilation. I even taped the audio of the first 5 minutes of the film to hear that seance cue

There is a Hitchcock compilation CD with the original End Credits/End Titles from Family Plot, performed by the Universal Studio Orchestra conducted by Williams:

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents... Signatures in Suspense" HIP-O Records (Universal) HIPD-64661 (1999)

It's a really great compilation CD, featuring several performances conducted by Herrmann, Elmer Bernstein, Addison, Tiomkin etc

I have that track..it's the wrong tempo I think .And yes it lacks the choir piece

Ed could be joking or serious, he's dropped hints before, with the Rozsa box set, before Lukas said anything.

It doesn't read like a joke to me. Seems like he just plain answered the question

Henry, tell them to release the score immediately so we can be rid of this torment and rest our weary heads on our pillows each night and sleep the peaceful sleep of the angels!

This is fantastic news! Nothing I'd really rely on, but I think it's pretty strong evidence that FP is coming!

This score, and the fact that it is unreleased, is the reason I joined this board. It is unlike any other Williams score, it's a delight. It is my ultimate Holy Grail.

I have staunch faith in the indestructable fanboy-wrath ignited by minor presentation anomlies in any complete release. Thus, heated discussions about pitches off by 0,01% or 10 seconds of unreleased filler will stay with us and help to let those cold winter evenings fly by.

I have staunch faith in the indestructable fanboy-wrath ignited by minor presentation anomlies in any complete release. Thus, heated discussions about pitches off by 0,01% or 10 seconds of unreleased filler will stay with us and help to let those cold winter evenings fly by.

:P

There is a Hitchcock compilation CD with the original End Credits/End Titles from Family Plot, performed by the Universal Studio Orchestra conducted by Williams:

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents... Signatures in Suspense" HIP-O Records (Universal) HIPD-64661 (1999)

As King Mark alluded to above, the Family Plot track on the HIP-O CD is off-speed (too slow) by ~4.4%.

Here's the thread where it was discussed previously: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8349&st=0&p=200635

I first heard the Family Plot theme on the Silva "John Williams: 40 Years" set. Then I heard a better version by the Utah Symphony for that Varese album.

BRING IT! IN STEREO!

As King Mark alluded to above, the Family Plot track on the HIP-O CD is off-speed (too slow) by ~4.4%.

Here's the thread where it was discussed previously: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8349&st=0&p=200635

yeah even I can detect a 4.4% speed decrease

The question of "will we get it" is almost irrevelant. I have scores of scores by Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Barry, JNH, et. al., that I have played maybe twice, tops, but I would never get rid of them, as they go to form pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that is the composer's overall output. IMO, "Family Plot" is a most welcome addition to my J.W. collection, and will go toward the filling of the final few gaps of missing J.W. scores. Personally, I like "Family Plot", especially the main and end titles, the harpsichord motif that is heard to introduce Karen Black's character, and the music that underscores the conversation that William Devane has with Ed Lauter (hope they include the extended version, as an alternate cue?). Once again, you pays yer money, and you takes yer choice. I know what I'm gonna do.

I first heard the Family Plot theme on the Silva "John Williams: 40 Years" set. Then I heard a better version by the Utah Symphony for that Varese album.

BRING IT! IN STEREO!

I'm with you there; the Utah Symphony version royally kicks the box-set's version's ass into touch!

yeah even I can detect a 4.4% speed decrease

It can always be corrected in Audacity (although I'm not sure how "digi" the results would sound)