The Goonies by Dave Grusin

Jay

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if they'll do Andy's organ playing live or if that will come from the film's audio mix

• 2 weeks later...

The track listing for the new single-LP edition of The Goonies has been revealed

Side A

1. “Fratelli Chase”

2. “Cellar And Sloth”

3. “The Goondocks (Goonies Theme)”

4. “The ‘It,’ Fifty Dollar Bills And A Stiff”

5. “Pee Break And Kissing Tunnel”

6. “Skull And Signature”

7. “Plumbing”

8. “Restaurant Trash”

9. “Boulders, Bats And A Blender”

Side B

1. “They’re Here And Skull Cave Chase”

2. “Playing The Bones”

3. “Mikey’s Vision”

4. “Triple Stones And A Ball”

5. “Wishing Well And The Fratellis Find Coin”

6. “Mama & Sloth”

7. “One Eyed Willie”

8. “No Firme And Pirate Ship”

Assuming all tracks are identical to the 2011 CD versions and not edited down, that should run 21:35 for Side A and 22:00 for Side B for a new 43:35, completely non-chronological presentation!

I guess this would be pretty similar to what Grusin would have done in 1985 if he had been granted a score album release.

Actually, it's a bit odd that the End titles aren't included, especially considering they were on the song album!

I remember, back in 1985, listening to the end credits from the OST over and over again, as well as a rerecording of Fratelli's Chase from a Dave Grusin compilation. And of course to my own recording of the film's sound in the theater. I was in love with that score. Such an LP presentation would have been wonderful to own back then. Pure Bliss. But now......???????

Now we can re-create this playlist digitally if we feel like spending 43 minutes in this world instead of 71, I guess

Back in the day, far enough away that it was still when I would download such things, there was a boot of the score that was also (iirc) out of chronological order.  Was that an aborted Grusin OST?  Or just some schmo’s creative programming?

I love this score and have the original Club release - assuming these tracks aren’t edited differently, I might program this and give it a listen.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Back in the day, far enough away that it was still when I would download such things, there was a boot of the score that was also (iirc) out of chronological order.  Was that an aborted Grusin OST?

No

Or just some schmo’s creative programming?

Yea

I love this score and have the original Club release - assuming these tracks aren’t edited differently, I might program this and give it a listen.

Yea I'll be giving it a listen as well

While this is just some rando's reordering of music we already had, I love OST presentations and definition wanna give this a shot.  One of my favorite scores.

It's not a random person's re-ordering; Grusin himself chose the track selection

On 07/04/2021 at 1:59 PM, Jay said:

THE GOONIES – David Grusin (Picture Disc) – *RELEASE DATE: JUNE 12TH*
In celebration of the 35th anniversary of The Goonies, the beloved soundtrack by Dave Grusin will be released on an LP picture disc for the first time ever! The special release features the album cover on side A and the infamous One-Eyed Willie on side B. The track listing to this abbreviated single-disc version of the original score was personally selected and assembled by Grusin himself. 

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750/1667141383478140/

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not a random person's re-ordering; Grusin himself chose the track selection

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750/1667141383478140/

D'oh, sorry, misread the post above yours about the "shmoe."

• 1 year later...

From 3:38 in this video to 3:48, there is a drum beat followed by a short note that fades away before switching back to the rest of the track. I see these cues are edited heavily in the film, but does anyone know where this little section comes from? I would like to make a film edit of it and might have to resort to the film rip to make it work but wanted to check here to see if anyone knew where it was.

• 11 months later...

Is there a difference between the OST track Theme from the Goonies vs the End Titles track on the expanded album? The runtime is different but if you line up the audio it syncs up perfectly. Just wondering if there's any differences.

Such a great, classic, iconic film score cue!

Amazing to think it would never exist if Donner (/Spielberg?) didn't ask Grusin to write a new main title cue based on the "Plumbing" cue when they didn't like his original main title idea

Yeah, that commercial!

I was like, "I know that music!," but couldn't put my finger on the movie. I knew it was from the '80s.

Then, like a bolt of lightning:

"GOONIES!"

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Such a great, classic, iconic film score cue!

Amazing to think it would never exist if Donner (/Spielberg?) didn't ask Grusin to write a new main title cue based on the "Plumbing" cue when they didn't like his original main title idea

Had no idea it was based on Plumbing! I can totally hear the similarities now. Speaking of which, does anyone have the restored version of the original chase music against the film opening? I saw MM edited it together but I’m not an FSM subscriber so I can’t see it. Also wondering why Joseph Williams song “Red Hot” has never been released and if it was used in the film at all. I believe it’s used somewhere in the house in the beginning but of course since the song isn’t available there’s no way to know 100%.

Interesting. Long before the CD came out, I noticed just from watching the film that the music during the plumbing scene was a call back to the main title music (I never knew the main title cue was a replacement until I got the Best Of Adventure CD)