The Goonies by Dave Grusin

Jay

All boots were not even close to complete.

The first boots were simply the 18 minute "Best Of Adventure" suite, chopped up into individual tracks, with the "Cinemagic" re-recording of Fratelli Chase and excerpts from "The Adventures Of Don Juan" thrown in as well.

Later boots added dvd-rips of some additional cues to the above stuff. But they were still incomplete, as a lot of Grusin's score was dropped from the final cut of the film (and said boot didn't include cues that had sound effects you couldn't get around). Some of these boots seemed fairly long because they were padded out with the OST songs, dialogue from the film, and repeated versions of cues sometimes with different edits. But they were never complete, and never contained any actual recording session leaks. The End Credits is the only piece of the original film score that's ever been heard outside the film (it was on the song OST)

The new Varese CD is 79+ minutes and is completely complete (with the exception of the James Bond Theme re-recording)

This is it: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/775/thegooniescomplete2cdba.jpg

It was ripped from the laserdisc of the movie if I remember rightly, and the sound quality was really very good, excellent even - there were no sound effects or dialogue. I lost it when my old hard drive packed in.

As someone who adores the the score, I felt it had everything, every highlight that I wanted.

Yup, that's the infamous boot which I created the thread about last year, that Marc created the new ban on talking about boots as a result. Despite what the label of that artwork says, its not complete at all. Its dvd rips combined with the suite chopped up. Tracks 2 and 8 are identical. Track 29 is the full suite which is already heard chopped up in prior tracks. Every other track on disc 2 is dialogue from the movie. Etc. This new CD will sound very different and better than that boot

Yea, which is why I got so excited when I first came across it that I created the thread to talk about it. Silly me, thinking that we'd be able to discuss DVD rips on a web site that was started as being a resource for tracking down Phantom Menace music in video games without a new ban on bootleg discussions being created and my thread completely deleted.

No. The website was started as being a resource for news and information on TPM score. The unreleased music guides and files were an added bonus. And what's the point in bringing up your deleted thread issue again and again? -- Ricard

Yea, which is why I got so excited when I first came across it that I created the thread to talk about it. Silly me, thinking that we'd be able to discuss DVD rips on a web site that was started as being a resource for tracking down Phantom Menace music in video games

Well, that was back before the website got all "respectable", I suppose. I agree that scaredy cat rules suck, though.

Yeah, keep questioning the rules. It's a nice way to comply with them. -- Ricard

Nice :D

A bit rude of Grusin to talk about the process as if he was working on a Spielberg directed movie, though. His memory of collaborating with Donner almost seem like an afterthought, which I think is a tiny bit disrespectful.

I dunno I'm judging this score by the foot warmer that just rambles on and on .Maybe I'm wrong about it but by the time I make up my mind it'll be sold out anyways

I was wrong about Innerspace

The release was a surprise to Grusin?

Does he mean the release itself, or just how well it was done?

It's somewhat funny that he would be suprised by the actual release since he's going to Ubeda this year and coducting a suite from The Goonies. But maybe Robert Townson kept it a secret and Grusin wasn't involved at all in the production, or the notes could have been wriiten at the begining of the project

Nice :blink:

A bit rude of Grusin to talk about the process as if he was working on a Spielberg directed movie, though. His memory of collaborating with Donner almost seem like an afterthought, which I think is a tiny bit disrespectful.

Well it's no secret that Spielberg has been hands on in post production. On Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith mentions working with Spielberg mostly and on BTTF Speileberg had reservations about Silvestri scoring the film.

I have the Data Bondfile as a original recording from the Goonies sessions...

the quality is quite good but I think not so good as I can use in the final edit !

But in the movie this piece is played in a walkman... :blink:

...it runs 26 seconds

Chris

and on BTTF Speileberg had reservations about Silvestri scoring the film.

To be fair, he only had reservations until he heard the score :D
Spielberg: THAT's what your score should sound like.

Zemeckis: Uhm... that IS the score.

Spielberg: Oh...

:blink:

Waiting for a score release when you've already paid for it, and have a 20 minute foot warmer (and a hundred other scores) to hold you until then is a lot different than, say, waiting 30 hours for paramedics that never come.

Speak for yourself. For some of us, film music is our lifeblood, our very breath.

Waiting for a score release when you've already paid for it, and have a 20 minute foot warmer (and a hundred other scores) to hold you until then is a lot different than, say, waiting 30 hours for paramedics that never come.

Speak for yourself. For some of us, film music is our lifeblood, our very breath.

No, I was speaking for the fellow who waited 30 hours for paramedics that never came, so he died anyways.

To those who might keel over because they can't wait two weeks to receive a film score, that's something I'd like to watch.

Well let's see, I've waited 34 years for Black Sunday, 28 years for Star Trek II, 30 years for Airplane!, 31 years for Prophecy....

I'm still kicking.

Well let's see, I've waited 34 years for Black Sunday, 28 years for Star Trek II, 30 years for Airplane!, 31 years for Prophecy....

I'm still kicking.

Everything comes to he who waits, Mark! I waited 26 years for "Something Wicked This Way Comes", and "Twilight:The Movie". It is now 25 years and counting for "Star Trek III", and 19 years for "Star Trek V". ho hum...

I dunno I'm judging this score by the foot warmer that just rambles on and on .Maybe I'm wrong about it but by the time I make up my mind it'll be sold out anyways

I was wrong about Innerspace

Its a poorly put together boot, with a lot of repetitive tracks because they literally took the same parts of the suite and edited them slightly differently and called them different things, etc.

None of the actual recording sessions of the original film score have ever leaked, so this entire CD (apart from the end titles, which was on the OST) is completely brand new

The release was a surprise to Grusin?

Does he mean the release itself, or just how well it was done?

It's somewhat funny that he would be suprised by the actual release since he's going to Ubeda this year and coducting a suite from The Goonies. But maybe Robert Townson kept it a secret and Grusin wasn't involved at all in the production, or the notes could have been wriiten at the begining of the project

That image could be a complete fake!

I have the Data Bondfile as a original recording from the Goonies sessions...

the quality is quite good but I think not so good as I can use in the final edit !

But in the movie this piece is played in a walkman... :D

...it runs 26 seconds

Chris

That is very likely NOT the actual Grusin recording. Its probably an edit of the Bond theme from an actual James Bond movie.

Plus you [Mark O] were born in 1968, which was already T+8 years for Spartacus. This year makes 50. Does it win?

Try being born in 1962, and see how long the wait is!

Trying to make myself 19 years older than I really am would be illegal. Looking older than 30, I rarely need carded, so what's the point?

There is far too little Dave Grusin music out there. Personally, and although I have listened to his scores on film/d.v.d., I only posess "The Firm" on c.d. Well done, Varese!

P.p.s. Sorry, dudes, me, again! If you like Grusin's scores, then check out his stuff on GRP Records. "One Of A Kind" is brilliant.

I definitely agree with all of the above. I've been a big fan of Grusin's jazz stuff contributions (GRP All-Star Big Band, Two for the Road, Homage to Duke, DG presents West Side Story ...) for many years and I rejoice in this new release (which I of course ordered immediately). :D Can't wait to receive it!

I need to decide if I should get this. I like the music, but like BTTF I don't consider it to be a holy grail (partially because I'm not incredibly familiar with the score). The samples sound pretty good (especially that chase sequence), I wonder how long I have?

Now I know how Mark feels all the time. A great release every week. I'm planning on getting the upcoming Poltergeist and Spartacus releases, plus all the new scores coming out. I'm swamped!

I'm with you, indy4, it's like BTTF for me. Something I enjoy from time to time, but overrated.

Just an interesting thought which occured to me - how come Donner didn't hire JW to score The Goonies, based on their great collaboration on Superman? And surely also Spielberg as a part of the team would've recommended JW ... Was it maybe a scheduling conflict? Do we know anything about it? ;)

Well Williams never scored a film where Spielberg was the producer and not directing. I think it was just a matter of certain composer's schedules/availability and Spielberg's desire to work with other composers, but save Williams for the films he directed.

Well that's just speculation, it could be that Williams was offered the job of scoring those films but turned them down.

I'm glad that Spielberg used other composers because we got some very good film scores out of those films.

Well Williams never scored a film where Spielberg was the producer and not directing. I think it was just a matter of certain composer's schedules/availability and Spielberg's desire to work with other composers, but save Williams for the films he directed.

I know what you mean, but the exception to the rule would be Memoirs of a Geisha

Aren't you forgetting "Memoirs Of A Geisha"?

Look at the two posts above your post. ;)

But we're talking about the 80's thru 90's when Spielberg produced films had great composers working on them. Obviously that all went to hell with Transformers.

Quite right. Apologies all round. You are quite right, though, Mark: what the FRACK is happening to Hollywood?! Will the big crowd-pleasers being made today be remembered in 5, 10, 20 year's time? Heck, with all the in-and-out-then-straight-to-dvd release, will they be remembered next week?

I know what you mean, but the exception to the rule would be Memoirs of a Geisha

Wasn't Spielberg originally slated to direct Memoirs though?

But we're talking about the 80's thru 90's when Spielberg produced films had great composers working on them. Obviously that all went to hell with Transformers.

Jablonsky is a great composer who happens to write very poor music.

Wasn't Spielberg originally slated to direct Memoirs though?

He was at one point. Of course we know Williams wanted to score this after reading the book. so it didn't matter who the director was....well Michael Bay might have changed that. ;)

Jablonsky is a great composer who happens to write very poor music.

Eh..?

Good question. Or Jerry Goldsmith for that matter? They had a successful go of it with the Omen.

As i recall from some ancient interview, Goldsmith was slated to do it (as he was at one point for LADYHAWKE), but had to back out for LEGEND, i think. On LADYHAWKE, a drive through the country with Alan Parsons Project playing on the tapedeck led to musical reconsidering, which is far more tragic than missing out on GOONIES.