The Goonies by Dave Grusin

Jay

Apprently some people are starting to get shipping notifications from Varese! I haven't received mine yet sadly

I ordered my two copies of The Goonies from MovieMusic with two or three other scores, but while Batman Returns came last week, I might not see the rest of the shipment for two more weeks.

I may or may not get a shipping confirmation from Varese, it usually goes that way. But hopefully that means I'll have it someday next week.

FSM Online subscribers should be able to hear a cue from the new Goonies CD when the next issue goes live, presumably sometime next week.

Neil

So after we already have the CD? :blink:

Or are you trying to tell us that you did a Score Restore for an unused cue?

When things like one cue being dropped because space limitations, i wonder, why labels dont put a secret promotional code inside the CD and make it a password to download the missing music as a bonus 'enhaced CD' feature?

This time is just a short Bond re-recording...but another day it could be that small-short great fanfare that you love. Williams has several of those...

Well...this is a shame. This was bound to happen when I send things to two different addresses!

I managed to combine my college address and my home address into one, non-existant address.I wonder what's going to happen to my CD now. :blink:

The Fratelli Chase cue is odd. I mean don't get me wrong, it SOUNDS GREAT and is AMAZING to FINALLY have the film recording of it!!!

Happily, it contains music that played under the scene with Mouth and his dad fixing the sink.... and the part with Data's Theme.... SO GREAT. LOVE IT! But then the music just... stops! After the last note of Data's Theme is held..... its just silence, and then we're onto the next track.

Where's all the music that played for the rest of the Main Titles?? I guess it was just repeated from the earlier part? Who knew. Makes for an odd listening experience on CD though...

I still need to figure out if I should get this.

It's not a question of whether I should get this for me. It is, as always, a question of money. :rolleyes:

The CD is great. It's amazing that I can just picture the entire movie as I'm listening, I've seen it so many times. There is a lot of unused music too, which was the most interesting to hear. The Octopus cue was fun!

My favorite tracks after first listen:

Fifty Dollar Bills and a Stiff (super-fun version of Data's Theme)

Boulders, Bats, and a Blender

Wishing Well

Triple Stones and a Ball

Playing The Bones

Galleon

Walk The Plank (What a cool march!)

Sloth & Chunk (It's all Don Juan and Superman and sounds great!)

Pirate Ship (wonderful finale)

Yup. Originally after the scene with Data there was a shot of Mama Fratelli turning on the car radio, and a Joseph Williams song was going to play for the rest of the Main Titles.

Boy am I glad they decided not to do that! The Fratelli Chase music playing for the rest of the SUV chase is so iconic! You'd never guess it wasn't written for those scenes.

:D

Yea the bootleg sucks in every regard. Blech.

I'm listening to the CD for the second time right now. Liking it even more than the first time. First time through I think I was overwhelmed by all the music. This time I'm enjoying every track

For some reason I thought that all the good bits were in that re-recorded suite and people wanted this just to get the original Fratelli Chase

Me neither ;)

But, Mark O said that he only gets shipping confirmations half the time, and he always gets the CDs. It's a lot easier to be patient for the physical CD in the ah, modern technological age :D

Me neither :(

But, Mark O said that he only gets shipping confirmations half the time, and he always gets the CDs. It's a lot easier to be patient for the physical CD in the ah, modern technological age :P

Oh I see, I thought you already had the CD.

I actually ordered 2 copies - one direct from Varese and one from moviemusic.com - but neither has arrived yet.

As long as I get an order confirmation I don't worry about these things. I know some of you are probably tired of hearing it but I've waited 25 years so another few weeks won't hurt.

I ordered two copies from MovieMusic, and when I thanked Peter Kelly for adding Nate and Hayes to my order last week, he said that my order would ship in "a few weeks" as they waited for The Goonies to show up. Patience is required in this hobby.

I know, I've been waiting to order Prophecy but I wanted to see what other releases FSM might have.

So I finally caved in and did some "shopping" at SAE so I could make my order worthwhile.

Sigh.... I miss the days of being able to physically browse the soundtrack section and actually finding worthwhile purchases instead of clicking to shopping cart.

I don't even know if mine's shipped or not; I've gotten no shipping email and if I log into Varese's site, my order status just says "In Process". Grrrrr

Also forgot to mention, but Neil & Mr. Matessino put together a video syncing the alternate Fratelli Chase with the opening sequence of the film; It's available right here if you're an FSM Online subscriber. I am a subscriber but I can't pull it up, there's some problem with my account. Grrrrrrrr.

I've gotten no shipping email and if I log into Varese's site, my order status just says "In Process". Grrrrr

I got a shipping notice, but my order status still says "in process". The order status of the two titles I ordered before The Goonies also still say "in process".

My order from the very first Varese CD club batch shows it's still in progress along with 5 other orders from the past 10 years. :P

I've received all of them with exception of the current one.

Yea, exactly. For all I know mine actually has shipped and will be on my doorstep when I get home today *shrug*

I've listened to the CD three times today and didn't know the score underwent extensive editing. I like the way the music is presented on the CD though. Everything is there, maybe not in the way it's in the movie, but it's there. I also like the picture of Willie in the booklet.

That's weird that people from other countries got their disc first before those who live here in the United States. I guess they're sending them out in the order they received them.

Those of you who bought 2 copies, are you planning on selling or trading the extra? (Not judging, just wondering) Do you think the 5,000 won't be enough to satisfy demand and that it'll skyrocket in value, like Predator?

The FSM guys fixed my account problems, and I was able to view Neil and Mike's Score Restore files.

Wow! The way the original version of the Fratelli Chase (track 31 on the new Varese CD) syncs up with the film is really quite impressive. I like that he wrote music to carry through the Andy and Mouth scenes too even though he knew it wouldn't be used - makes the music flow well when listening on its own. I loved the string hits when the cars drive by Rosalina too! And the mickey-mousing in the Data scene!

The only thing I don't get is that he clearly wrote the original cue to cover all the way until they stop just before kicking it into 4WD and heading onto the beach... which is where the Joe Williams song would have played. It's clear the shot of Mama Fratelli turning on the radio would have happened here, as Francis is putting the SUV into 4WD.

However, the revised Fratelli Chase (track 1) ends earlier, right after the Data scene. Why didn't he score the the with Chunk, and the SUV approaching the beach when he revised it? Where they going to move the shot of her putting the tape in up earlier, in the middle of the Data scene?

Mine still hasn't arrived. Still no shipping email, still says "in process" on the website :P

You're absolutely right Trent.

I just really can't wait to read the liner notes! :P

EDIT: A member of the FSM board said they saw this on Varese's website, but I can't find it:

Due to a production bottleneck the new CD-Club releases will be available as of March 22, 2010. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

I honestly have no idea how I managed to do that either! Hopefully they'll work it out somehow. I did update my account to feature my real address though, so hopefully this won't happen again.

EDIT: A member of the FSM board said they saw this on Varese's website, but I can't find it:

Due to a production bottleneck the new CD-Club releases will be available as of March 22, 2010. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

It's not on the Varèse Sarabande website, but the Colosseum website. So this applies only to people who ordered the Club CDs in Europe.