La-La Land releasing David Arnold's Independence Day

Do you guys notice that from "Virus Uploaded" to "He Did It" sounds a bit different when compared to the rest of the score? Almost like those pieces were recorded in a different studio.

It's quite possible if the scenes were re-scored.

It's the same way with The Mummy Returns. The last part of the film was scored in L.A. if I'm not mistaken.

Do you guys notice that from "Virus Uploaded" to "He Did It" sounds a bit different when compared to the rest of the score? Almost like those pieces were recorded in a different studio.

It's quite possible if the scenes were re-scored.

It's the same way with The Mummy Returns. The last part of the film was scored in L.A. if I'm not mistaken.

Ya I knew about The Mummy Returns, and Jay said last night to me via Gmail messenger that the score seemed it was recorded in six different studios according to the liner notes. So it would make sense that those cues sounding different.

And here I thought it was because one cue used all these notes and rhythms, and other cues used totally different ones.

What? That post doesn't make sense.

While this set isn't 100% perfect it's pretty damn close! An interesting thing to note...for "Target Remains / Rescue", from 3:39 onward is NOT the film version of the cue, it's an alternate. Even the alternate on Disc 2 for that cue is an alternate. The film version for that portion is on the World Records boot though.

I just compared the LLL track "Target Remains / Rescue" to the World Records track "Nuke Attack / Reunions" and they sound the same to me. What exactly did you think is different about them?

I'll answer it again anyways so others would see it. :lol: About 3:45ish on the LLL set when the french horn comes in, it's completely different then compared to the film version. As I said though for that part the World Records boot has the film version. I think that's practically the only difference in the cue. It's a small minor gripe...but it's something I would want the film version for not an alternate.

Yay! My physical copy for this score is on its way to me along with Robocop. Looking forward to reading the liner notes for ID-4. :beerchug:

By the way I don't remember if it was here or on FSM with someone wondering (other than Jay) why "The Big Tamale" was different compared to LLL's and the film. I just watched the scene, in the film it plays out the same musically but the first part of the cue does not have the choir over dub. HOWEVER, they actually loop the second half of the cue that HAS the choir over dub. I think what's presented on the LLL set is the true original Arnold version.

So thanks to some new discoveries by Trent, I've updated the spreadsheet. It turns out there is stuff on BOTH bootlegs not on the LLL set. Check it out:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ttnycTsrLSKhCzvEcVLJMFA&output=html

I'd understand it if it were a powerpoint!

You mean like this one?

article-0-09562375000005DC-283_964x699.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be political. It's just the most convoluted powerpoint slide in the history of man, which is giving it epic funny status on the web these days.

Yea, that show's a cluster when it comes to the family tree.

Wow, I had forgotten that Ridge was Massimo's son. I'm glad I don't have the time anymore to follow soaps.

Ashley Jones is very pretty, but Jennifer Finnigan was my favorite actress to play Bridget, from 2000 to 2004.

Bridget-Forrestor-Jennifer-Finnigan-the-bold-and-the-beautiful-4989804-471-600.jpg

Finnigan won a few Daytime Emmy Awards too, particularly memorable was for her performance when she goes berserk at Deacon for sleeping with Brooke. That old plotline has re-surfaced because of Hope Logan (played now by another pretty actress) miraculously growing up from "Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome".

What in the hell do the latest posts have anything to deal about concerning the score for ID-4? ;)

Oh please tell me this isn't lingering resentment against the teachers rapping your knuckles for coloring outside the lines.

MV responded to some fan questions on FSM boards:

How was this project born ? - was it arnold suggesting it, a fan or was it your dream-project that you always wanted to do ?
It was a dream project for all involved including Mr. Arnold, who suggested doing it way back in 07 when we were doing Godzilla.

was the music difficult to locate?
When in doubt, go to the mixer. smile.gif We all have Dennis Sands to thank for this puppy.

Was the music hard to work with or was it piece of cake?
That's a Mike question. I know some of the tracks (especially the climax) was a real pain. All those edits -- UGH! I think he did a masterful job assembling it.

how long has this cd been underway ?
About 1 year. It was the very first project we inked with Sony Special Products.

was there other versions of this score before the final version was decided (in terms of how the music was arranged)
Not really. What you see is pretty much the second draft -- the first being an untweaked version.

and what have the feedback been so far ?
Stellar.

AND the most important question - how would LALA have handed the news if Arnold had not leaked it on Twitter.
I wrote in another post that we originally conceived of having a countdown clock to 4/20/10 Noon PST. No hints. No clues. No pre-announcements. About 1 month before the announcement we were just going to put the countdown clock on our site that would end precisely at Noon PST on 4/20. We figured it was apropos considering the two releases we had coming out that day.

But, alas, it did not come to be. (Damn TWITTER!)

Countdown clock would've been a great gimmick, but I bet fans would've guessed it based on that.

I listened to it. There's a few great cues towards the end of the film that aren't on the boot right?

Yes, that's correct. The revised versions for "Virus Uploaded" to "He Did It" were not included with either of the boots.

Also for LLL's set there's a spot in "Target Remains / Rescue" that they used the alternate for instead of the film which can be found on the World Records boot. Also for "Mutha Ship" there's a section at the beginning of that particular cue, they again used an alternate but the film version can be found on the very first boot of the score.

Other than that this set is practically perfect it, it's the definitive edition of the score and I'm glad to finally have those revised pieces.

Edit:

Okay the cues that weren't either boots are the following...

Destroyers Disengage (Film Version with Choir)

First Sighting

Just In Case (first 43 seconds or so of Track 1 for Disc 2)

Virus Uploaded (revised film version)

Hide! (revised film version)

Russell's Packin' (revised film version)

He Did It (revised film version)

Those are just the main cues. The alternates on Disc 2 some of them weren't with any of the boots either, namely these ones...

Cancelled Leave (Alternate)

Commence Lift-Off (Alternate)

Target Remains / Rescue (Alternate)

Dad's A Genius (Alternate)

Attacker Fires Up (Original Version: No Choir)

End Credits (Segment: No Choir)

Countdown clock would've been a great gimmick, but I bet fans would've guessed it based on that.

I would like to have seen a chess board replaying an actual game, with a piece moving every day or so, up until the moment of announcement, when we find the king in checkmate. That would've been slightly less obvious.

Mine arrived yesterday and I can say that one of my soundtrack-related dreams finally came true. I had postponed buying the original edition for couple of years, hoping they eventually release complete edition and so they did.

Yes, pretty much every release that has clues are guessed correctly by someone. But you really do not know if it is going to be that particular guess until it's released.

I'll be honest, and I mentioned it previously, when LaLaland posted they had a new deal with Sony I figured ID4 would be released sometime soon.

But if you put a clock, no Twitter from Arnold and no knowledge of it coming, it makes the countdown exciting because you're guessing and hoping that it is going to be something you want.

Hey, do we know about how many units are left? I'm considering buying this, and I'd rather not deliberate for so long that it sells out.

MV posted at FSM that it was selling 25% better than Poseidon. Personally I wouldn't wait. I know other stores have copies but I don't like to mess around with popular limited edition titles.

MV posted it to the FSM message boards shortly after announcing the title. You can find it there, I believe in a thread he started (posts under "La La Land Records")

You should officially buy the CD Mark :)

I was surprised you didn't bundle it with your LLL order for Poseidon Adventure, especially since it was $5 off if you did

I opened mine and read the liner notes and ripped it, but haven't listened to it yet.

You ripped the liner notes?! Now it's worthless!

j/k :P

some people have two booklets, so they could do it :)

KM I agree with Jason you should buy the actual complete score for ID-4, it's worth owning. You should do it before they sell out.