La-La Land releasing David Arnold's Independence Day

Mine just arrived! (I was late to the party - don't worry, it didn't take them that long to ship it to me.) I hope to give it a first listen tonight...woo hoo! I hope this score is as good as everyone makes it sound.

Mine just arrived! (I was late to the party - don't worry, it didn't take them that long to ship it to me.) I hope to give it a first listen tonight...woo hoo! I hope this score is as good as everyone makes it sound.

It is Joe! ;) You'll probably get chills of excitement listening to it especially from "Virus Uploaded" to "He Did It".

I hope so!

Okay, listening to the first track. So far, so excellent!

EDIT: Mmmmm, yep, definitely not regretting this purchase. ;)

<Palpatine Voice>

Goooooooood, gooooooooooood!

Wait until you get to tracks on Disc 2.

Whewee, good stuff! The alternate cues will have to wait till tomorrow - gotta get SOME sleep ;) - but I really enjoyed the score "proper." Definitely glad I bought it, although I don't think I'd be able to call it the best score of the 90s as some have. Maybe that'll only come with a few more listenings. ;)

I have yet to put it onto my iPod. I think I've listened to it three times since buying it, and that was straight through as background music for video games. The b00+ is still enough for me.

Don't wanna burn myself out.

I agree with Mark O on this one. It's never a good idea to burn yourself out on a fun exciting score like Independence Day. I've done it before in the past with other scores but now I'm careful about that.

It's gonna take a long time for me to get burned out on this. But I agree, it is something you can do and should watch out for. The fact I hadn't been listening to it much even before the release was announced helps.

• 9 months later...

I just bought this on Amazon. It's really great, not only for the bulk of unreleased material, but also for the extensive liner notes inclusive remarks by David Arnold, and a fantastic lay-out. I mean, isn't this how we want our soundtracks to look like!? :) Btw Neil S. Bulk is co-producer of this anniversary album. Only 5000 units, get it!

1862.jpg

Agreed wholeheartedly - brilliant, brilliant release....as usual, there were a few moaners who cried about the structure of one of the pieces (apparently not quite the film version whinge whinge whinge cry whinge), but on the whole it is an excellent release, and sounds superb. And the liner notes are the icing on the cake. Also - doesn't tend to get much attention - but the thought that went into the packaging and the look of the discs themselves.

Are we in a timewarp?

Sorry I overlooked this thread and made new thread, the admin moved my post here :)

I have yet to get this, due to penny pinching and priorities, and it is much to my shame.

This and Intrada's BSG are top of my want list right now, but I have to wait until the end of the month.

Incidently, does anyone know how well this is sellign?

i don't think MV has ever posted numbers for this release, so your guess is as good as anyone's.

We begin discussion of the actual CD on page 5 :)

Ok, but anyway I myself just bought it a few days ago :)

i don't think MV has ever posted numbers for this release, so your guess is as good as anyone's.

He actually posted about his numbers for Trek V, Batman Returns and Home Alone (great releases, BTW) on the FSM boards, and was surprised at just how quickly they were selling.

If both my grails last until the end of the Month, I'll be REALLY happy.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And it is an absolute MUST BUY, if you ask me.

Agreed! IF you like the OST or even the World Records boot this is definitely a must buy! Hearing all the revised final battle pieces outside of the film is a dream come true. Also at $20 is practically a steal.

Yes this is Arnold's magnum opus presented in a stellar style and definitely worth 20 $ investment. Which reminds me I have to listen to this score today. It has been a while.

I'm really surprised it's still in print, since it's been out for over a year. It's an amazing score and an amazing release. It may be missing a couple alternates from the bootleg, but it has every you'd want, honestly. And as mentioned, the film versions of the battle cues at the end (that were never available anywhere) are worth the purchase alone!

I'm really surprised it's still in print, since it's been out for over a year. It's an amazing score and an amazing release. It may be missing a couple alternates from the bootleg, but it has every you'd want, honestly. And as mentioned, the film versions of the battle cues at the end (that were never available anywhere) are worth the purchase alone!

Ya I'm surprised it's still in print too considering it was a holy grail for a lot of us film score fans. Then again it was limited to 5,000 units so at the same time I'm not really surprised it's still around. Die Hard was limited to 3,500 so a lot less and with that one being more of a holy grail than ID-4 it went much quicker.

Still though as I said through out the years I've seen A LOT of people requesting this score to be released in full form, especially with the revised final battle cues.

To me the revised final battle cues alone what seals the deal on buying this set. Those cues were never with the two boots, the original boot and the World Records boot.

Despite my slightly annoyance of a couple of cues having different takes, this set is practically perfect. Those couple of annoyances are minor and most will over look them. This is just a personal preference for myself though regarding those two cues.

Not only the revised final battle cues but also couple of the alternate cues that were NEVER with any of the two boots at all. Couple of them were rather interesting to hear.

Either way if you love David Arnold and love Independence Day, this is a must buy score.

I agree with all that you said above, although I'm not too familiar with the two cues and their different takes. I was actually lucky enough to get one of the signed copies of this score. ;)

The original release is still pretty widely available, for dirt cheap. That could be a reason why this hasn't yet sold out - just like the reissues of Batman and Batman Returns.

Actually the OST for Independence Day has been OOP for a while. Ya you can download it via mp3 off iTunes and Amazon but the physical CD itself hasn't been around for a few years.

In any case, the La-La Land album is much better. Surprising, because it is a heavy and loud score and those often outstay their welcome on 2CD albums (like Cutthroat Island, for example). But this one, for some reason, works better this way. It might be all more gentle material in the middle that makes the difference. And 20 bucks is a real bargain.

Karol

Funny you say that since I'm listening to Cutthroat Island as I type this. Still on the first disc, but I can't get enough of the sheer overpowering orchestral majesty of this score. A quality it shares with Independence Day is that there's never a dull, skippable track.

• 11 months later...

Hey Trent, I remember you posting something about ID4 on JWFan 2. Are there any changes to/mistakes in you and Jason's original spreadsheet?

Bump!

• 9 months later...
BACK IN STOCK:
INDEPENDENCE DAY
This is the last of it, folks. Grab this expanded edition while we still have it!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10151930356068755

I'd like to have this but I can't justify that overseas shipping cost after already forking out £15 on the OST years ago.

Put that aside. I know that the expanded boot has been out there for years but the revised final film version cues from "Virus Upload" to the end of "He Did It!" is well worth the price of the CD, despite the shipping over seas.

Yea, it's worth it. It still remains included in the top choices out of all the releases that have come out in this golden era we're in