La-La Land releasing David Arnold's Independence Day

I went to see David Arnold with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on Thursday at the Barbican. Someone has craftily captured almost the whole of their performance of Independence Day - some of you will surely enjoy it, as did I. Nicholas Dodd conducts, while you can see the composer seated at the keyboard just to his left. Watch out too for a very big hammer in the percussion section; I wouldn't want to get in the way of that!

I'd like to hear another from the little Wanker who often trails after Kloser on his scores.

• 8 months later...

INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 CD SET - FINAL 50 UNITS

We are down to just 50 units (of the 5000 run) on ID4. Grab it while you still can!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/IndependenceDay.html

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10154122826343755

Well this sure took its time selling out considering it is so revered in film music circles.

INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 CD SET - FINAL 50 UNITS

We are down to just 50 units (of the 5000 run) on ID4. Grab it while you still can!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/IndependenceDay.html

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

How many were pressed? 5000? 10.000?

:rolleyes:

I bought two extra copies.

I bet Fox bought up the remaining few in case people get curious about it when the sequel is released and they're trying to hide the fact that another composer wrote a better score 20 years ago.

I bought two extra copies.

I bet Fox bought up the remaining few in case people get curious about it when the sequel is released and they're trying to hide the fact that another composer wrote a better score 20 years ago.

• 4 years later...

Is there anything on the 1996 OST in terms of mixing/edits/takes that is not on the LLL release? Ta! :)

The Day We Fight Back was slightly microedited for the OST if I remember correctly. It's a slightly shorter version of the original version. This particular edit is not on the LLL set but I don't think there's any unreleased material in that track:

Karol

On 25/07/2020 at 8:30 AM, Jay said:

There's nothing on the OST not on the LLL. The Day We Fight Back is just shortened. 

On 25/07/2020 at 7:43 AM, crocodile said:

The Day We Fight Back was slightly microedited for the OST if I remember correctly. It's a slightly shorter version of the original version. This particular edit is not on the LLL set but I don't think there's any unreleased material in that track:

Bye bye OST, then. Thanks Crocs and Jays! :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry if these couple things have been discussed already, I couldn't find it if it has been....

I've been slowly watching the film and listening to the LLL release, and looking along at @Jay's fun spreadsheet.

A Couple details I have noticed:

There are 3 endings to 7M2 Base Attack / Dogfight

• The assumed Original version, with one long sustained major chord. LLL Disc 1, Track 12b (as well as the OST, and the World Records Bootleg)
  • An alternate version, which has the dun-dundundun-duunnnnn (quarter note, quarter note triplet, whole note) rhythm, but the instruments playing the rhythm are split into a major chord. Only available on the "Other Boot", track 15 Base Attack - Dogfight. 
  • The 3rd version, the film version, which has the rhythm mentioned above, but the instruments playing the rhythm are playing the tonic of the chord, in octaves, rather than forming a chord. Only on LLL Disc 2, Track 12, and heard in the film. This is also the ending on the Live-to-Picture performances (as it should be, since it's the film version). 

In the film, 8M3 The Big Tamale first plays almost entirely without choir, then segues into somewhere around 0:11 of the same cue but with choir this time and plays to the end. 

Film edit:

8M3 The Big Tamale (no choir) 0:00-0:18 / 8M3 The Big Tamale 0:11-END

This means there's a 'no choir' version of 8M3 which remains unreleased, but which can mostly be heard in the film. 

Also unreleased: 

The Darkest Day is similar in that some of the choir is dialed out in the film (rather, it's dialed in for the shot of the destroyer over New York reaching so far it fades into the horizon)

The cue Alien Ship Powers Up is cut in half in the film, its opening replaced with a section of the End Titles, but what's intact ("you really think you can do all that bullshit you just said?") is a version without the choir. 

There are two versions of the cue Rescue (on the LLL as Target Remains / Rescue, it's the softer music for David / Connie and then Hiller taking the chopper to fly away), one where the ending string rhythm that leads to the closing brass fanfare, is muddled a bit in the performance. One of the boots, can't recall which, has the cleaner performance. 

There's also a cue of a basic snare drum pattern for when Hiller arrives at Area 51 with the alien, exciting Dr. Soong...I mean Dr. Okun, and the one thing I wish the LLL had, which was the pounding snare drums that open the cue Victory (titled 'Independence Day' on the various boots)

It's my favorite film score, and the one that made me a fan of film music's magic. 

6 hours ago, NL197 said:

Also unreleased: 

The Darkest Day is similar in that some of the choir is dialed out in the film (rather, it's dialed in for the shot of the destroyer over New York reaching so far it fades into the horizon)

The cue Alien Ship Powers Up is cut in half in the film, its opening replaced with a section of the End Titles, but what's intact ("you really think you can do all that bullshit you just said?") is a version without the choir. 

There are two versions of the cue Rescue (on the LLL as Target Remains / Rescue, it's the softer music for David / Connie and then Hiller taking the chopper to fly away), one where the ending string rhythm that leads to the closing brass fanfare, is muddled a bit in the performance. One of the boots, can't recall which, has the cleaner performance. 

There's also a cue of a basic snare drum pattern for when Hiller arrives at Area 51 with the alien, exciting Dr. Soong...I mean Dr. Okun, and the one thing I wish the LLL had, which was the pounding snare drums that open the cue Victory (titled 'Independence Day' on the various boots)

It's my favorite film score, and the one that made me a fan of film music's magic. 

Thanks so much for the info. I can't believe I didn't notice the choir gone from a lot of The Darkest Day!

I'll pay attention to the rest of that as I go through it. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...