La-La Land releasing David Arnold's Independence Day

Countdown clock would've been a great gimmick, but I bet fans would've guessed it based on that.

I would like to have seen a chess board replaying an actual game, with a piece moving every day or so, up until the moment of announcement, when we find the king in checkmate. That would've been slightly less obvious.

Yeah, that would've been neat. And Mark, I agree, even if you didn't know for sure, having the countdown finally reveal what you suspect would've been cool. Too bad Arnold leaked it. It would've been a genius marketing stunt.

This score is fantastic! I can't remember Arnold's Godzilla from when I saw the film. Was it anything like his ID4 work?

Some people compared ID4 to Williams, but to me, it sounds more like a really good Horner score, especially some moments in the End Credits and in the Day We Fight Back.

I think when people compare it to Williams, they mean the overall tone of the score. Thematic, brassy with a memorable main theme.

Not that Horner wasn't capable of doing the same.

As far as comparisons to Godzilla go, yes it is similar in structure; percussion, choir, lotta brass. But it does sound different for the most part.

David Arnold was briefly the next JW .Too bad he hasn't written anything memorable since then (I don't like the Bond scores)

Yes, ID4 is big and orchestral so naturally it would be compared with JW.

Hornerisms:

"End Title" (at 5:55) sounds like the Star Trek III scene where the Enterprise returns to Spacedock ("Klingons" @ 4:14)

"Hide/Russel's Packin' (The Day We Fight Back)" (at 4:33) sounds like the the very famous Aliens cue, "Bishop's Countdown" (1:07)

I'm listening now. Very thick and overbearing. Lots of "ta! ta-ta-ta ta! ta-ta-ta ta!" snare rhythms and all that... but I mean... it's still pretty good.

Mine has arrived!!!!!!

Me too.

There's a lot of thematic depth that I think you'll get to appreciate once you listen to it more, Henry. And nothing wrong with lots of bombast in a score like this. ;)

Getting to the finale. I'm starting to like this more.

I'm glad to read that from you Henry. ;) What do you think of the revised final battle pieces? :)

I think once you start listening to it more and more you'll start enjoying it even more. :) It's easily one of my top 10 scores.

And nothing wrong with lots of bombast in a score like this. ;)

Amen! The score really shines in the final reel of the film. Although, I've always loved "Evacuation" too.

Just imagine in a few years from now... Independence Day 2: Music Composed by Harald Kloser and Thomas Wanker.

Oh god...they may pull a Horner and for the most part copy Arnold's original score.

I'm listening now. Very thick and overbearing. Lots of "ta! ta-ta-ta ta! ta-ta-ta ta!" snare rhythms and all that... but I mean... it's still pretty good.

that's what i meant with need of polishing.

*runs away before the fanboys come* :P

If it weren't for the Goldsmith /Williams shot fired by FSM at the begining of the year and the impending release of Spartacus, LaLaLand's ID4 would be the release of the year.

What a fantastic 2 disc set.

The sound is outstanding, the artwork is terrific and I'm hearing things within the music I never heard on any of three previous versions of the score I had. To finally hear the actual version of the finale battle is a dream come true.

There's not a damn thing wrong with this score. It may just be one of the best of the 90's, if not the best.

If it weren't for the Goldsmith /Williams shot fired by FSM at the begining of the year and the impending release of Spartacus, LaLaLand's ID4 would be the release of the year.

The what?

What a fantastic 2 disc set.

The sound is outstanding, the artwork is terrific and I'm hearing things within the music I never heard on any of three previous versions of the score I had. To finally hear the actual version of the finale battle is a dream come true.

There's not a damn thing wrong with this score. It may just be one of the best of the 90's, if not the best.

Some John Williams scores are better, but yea, EASILY a top 5 (top 3 maybe) 90's score for me

Definitely release of the year for me, but I agree with all your points. While it's not overall quite a grail release, having the complete final battle is amazing, and it's also made me pay attention to the action material elsewhere.

Based on this score alone, Arnold can match Williams when he wants to.

Just imagine in a few years from now... Independence Day 2: Music Composed by Harald Kloser and Thomas Wanker.

God I hope not. Kloser's and Arnold's styles couldn't be much more different.

Unfortunately, three movies together may've convinced Emmerich that Kloser can do a more than barely functional job.

C'mon Jason, think of the 2 release from FSM to start the year.

Oh I thought you were referring to amd upcoming Williams FSM CD, not Black Sunday.

And which Goldsmith CD do you mean - the only one FSM has done recently is Island In The Stream. Is that a "release of the year" candidate for you?

Frankly ID4 2 is a bad bad bad bad bad bad idea.

C'mon Jason, think of the 2 release from FSM to start the year.

Oh I thought you were referring to amd upcoming Williams FSM CD, not Black Sunday.

And which Goldsmith CD do you mean - the only one FSM has done recently is Island In The Stream. Is that a "release of the year" candidate for you?

Hell yes, that's been a wish for many film score fans as well.

I agree with Mark O, that Independence Day is easily the best score of the 90's. To me it even tops any Williams score released that year.

To me it even tops any Williams score released that year.

So it was better than Sleepers? :P

Never heard the score doubt I ever will. Never even saw the film. I also agree with Mark O, that ID-4 is the greatest Limited Edition release for this year.

David Arnold was briefly the next JW .Too bad he hasn't written anything memorable since then (I don't like the Bond scores)

I'm hoping his Voyage of the Dawn Treader has some fantastic stuff.

It has the potential to be a swashbuckling masterpiece IMO.

After two rather generic MV-inspired scores from HGW, and being reminded of Arnold's true talents, I'm suddenly looking forward to Dawn Treader immensely.

Based on this score alone, Arnold can match Williams when he wants to.

That's the point.

A)As of nowadays, it seems he is not trying to be the best living composer.

B)Basing that statement in only one score? You maybe can add Stargate and godzilla to the lot. Still sounds rather one-hit-wonder to top williams when he wanted...

And definately this is not the best score of the 90's.

Something from Williams or goldsmith is. Choose what you like best.

JW's 90s work was exceptional, but I think ID4 easily ranks among those. I don't care for Goldsmith as much as many here.

And honestly I'm a little tired of people here saying that I *must* consider a Williams/Goldsmith score the best of any period. It's true that these guys had understanding of an orchestra that beats most, but that's not everything.

Many of my favourite scores from the 90s onwards are emotionally and cinematically outstanding, and maybe just have the odd area of weakness where perhaps the composer wasn't as skilled as the older folks. I'd rather have that than an entire score that technically is amazing but emotionally doesn't hit the marks due to the period when the film was made, or the period in which the composer learnt their craft.

I'm looking forward to the next Narnia, I hope Arnold rediscovers this form. I too would easily put ID4 as one of the absolute best of the 90s.

I just finished reading through the booklet.

This bit about the next Narnia has gotten me even more excited for it:

Arnold looks back at the experience as a grueling but positive one. "It was really hard work, but it was great to be able to write like that. That's why I'm looking forward the THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER in a way. It's another movie that is broad enough to support some thematic writing, to have that kind of excitement again.

I too would easily put ID4 as one of the absolute best of the 90s.

Word.

My high school band performed a show for marching band circa 1997 in which we played the main titles to both Independence Day and Twister. I rank both among the greatest scores of that decade.

It reminds me of a practice we had one fall morning during my senior year, and this large round black cloud slowly advanced over the football field. I mentioned to the girl beside me that it was one of the ID4 city ships. Giggles all around. Good times.

I just finished reading through the booklet.

This bit about the next Narnia has gotten me even more excited for it:

Arnold looks back at the experience as a grueling but positive one. "It was really hard work, but it was great to be able to write like that. That's why I'm looking forward the THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER in a way. It's another movie that is broad enough to support some thematic writing, to have that kind of excitement again.

Yeah that quote from Arnold got me excited about possibly buying my first Narnia score.

Yeah that quote from Arnold got me excited about possibly buying my first Narnia score.

The first half of HGW's first one is quite nice, the second half not so much. I didn't even bother with the second one.

There is a quote in the liner notes, where Arnold admits that ID4 was heavily temped with Apollo 13.

Harry did the first two Narnia films because they were directed by Andrew Adamson. The fist one has good parts, as does the second, except it sounds more like Kingdom Of Heaven. Based on the samples for Prince Of Persia, it'll probably be his best in awhile.

As for ID4 being the best score of the 90s, not even close.

There is a quote in the liner notes, where Arnold admits that ID4 was heavily temped with Apollo 13.

Yep I forgot to mention that. Of course it was obvious with the opening cue, but he didn't lean heavily on it for the rest of the score.

JW's 90s work was exceptional, but I think ID4 easily ranks among those. I don't care for Goldsmith as much as many here.

And honestly I'm a little tired of people here saying that I *must* consider a Williams/Goldsmith score the best of any period. It's true that these guys had understanding of an orchestra that beats most, but that's not everything.

Many of my favourite scores from the 90s onwards are emotionally and cinematically outstanding, and maybe just have the odd area of weakness where perhaps the composer wasn't as skilled as the older folks. I'd rather have that than an entire score that technically is amazing but emotionally doesn't hit the marks due to the period when the film was made, or the period in which the composer learnt their craft.

ID4 maybe is one of the best scores of the decade, but not THE best.

Lets face it, the film was a big hit, but nothing that was really remembered in the subsequent years, much less nowadays, i think it was looked down outside the US for its blattant, almost cheesy, patriotism. It works in the US, but not for the rest of us (well it worked for me and other young people of that time but adults see it differently). The movie was still a success overseas. But things like Jurassic Park or Schindler's list are still on people's minds.

We're talking about the music not the movie, which by the way outdid each of the prequels and IJ in overseas gross. So somebody outside of the USA must have liked it. :)

JP doesn't fair so well now when people talk about it, although I still think it's an oustanding achievement and still a fun film.

Say what you will, but ID4 is on a selective list of scores I can listen to all the way thru without skipping cues.

The first half of HGW's first one is quite nice, the second half not so much. I didn't even bother with the second one.

I was disappointed by the second, particularly that entire cues were reused from the first for a number of pivotal moments.

Jurassic Park still holds up very well for me. I still think the effects are amazing and in most cases absolutely believable. Best looking dinosaur/monster film made to date.

We're talking about the music not the movie, which by the way outdid each of the prequels and IJ in overseas gross. So somebody outside of the USA must have liked it. :)

JP doesn't fair so well now when people talk about it, although I still think it's an oustanding achievement and still a fun film.

Say what you will, but ID4 is on a selective list of scores I can listen to all the way thru without skipping cues.

Like the prequels its a movie many people go to see, enjoy it, but in restrospective, they analise it and dont like it very much.

When i hear people speak about JP, they have rather fond memories of seing live dinosaurs. Nobody now (and then) said it was a masterpiece. But is has something that stuck with people.

I dont think i have heard (here) people talking about id4 outside 1996-1997.

And the score is cool and brassy and makes you enjoy the film much more. But it's not one of those scores that trascends time and space (although they think so in the liner notes). Always saying that recognisable themes do not say a score is good or not... but this movie has no kind of tara, parade of the charioteers, jaws, indy, superman, star wars, JP, star trek, back to the future, out of africa, john dunbar, fellowship, circle of life, now we are free... kinda theme.

I feel sometimes when i try to make a point...it seems that i just try to diminish and diminish the score and effort. It is still a very enjoyable piece of work, but i think it is a little overrated in part of our filmscore world.

Shame you do skip cues. :/

Never seen the film all the way through (always makes me want to pop in Mars Attacks instead), but I love the score. None of Williams' or Goldsmith's scores from that period stick with me as much as ID4.