The 2010 Academy Awards show thread

King Mark

Ok first off I'm so sick of hearing Mo'Nique pretty much say anything . I hope I don't have to suffer through another one of her acceptance speeches

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any idea. But I thought that maybe with the popularity of Hulu and such, they might this time. I don't know if they have in the past, though.

I'm sick of the Hurt Locker, I'm glad the frenchie producer has been banned.

I don't want Merryl Streep to win

I don't want Mo'Nique to win

I don't want Up in the Air to win anything

I'd rather see Avatar win best score than Up

My favourite film of the year is Avatar (tied with Star Trek)

My favourite film of the year story wise is District 9

I don't mind if Inglorious Bastards wins I liked that too

I don't care about that film Jeff Bridges is in I'll never see it.

Ah, but Mark, don't you know by now? If it's a movie by an aging actor, a movie that you (and the rest of us) will NEVER care to see, then you can bet your life savings on it winning just about every single #*#&@&@ Oscar that can be thrown at it.

I, too, shudder at the thought of Monique (I refuse to put the apostraphe in) getting up there and doing a "Maya Angelou" on us, saying the most asinine things with a hefty black delivery to make it sound impressive and meaningful.

And, since I just typed that, you can also bet your life savings on her winning too.

Which is why I haven't watched the Oscars in over 10 years. The stuff that they beat off over....

I want Up to win for best score, but I would be happy if Avatar won.

I hope Avatar wins best SFX and best achievement in art direction. I'd be fine if it won sound, sound editing, and maybe cinematography. But if it wins best director or best picture...

I hope Avatar wins best SFX and best achievement in art direction. I'd be fine if it won sound, sound editing, and maybe cinematography. But if it wins best director or best picture...

Given the academy's history, they will ignore AVATAR in the SFX category, but award it for best screenplay. :)

I recently saw the HURT LOCKER, which was not a bad film by any means, but why it's roaming around in ten OSCAR categories i don't have any idea. I wish INGLORIOUS BASTERDS all the luck it can muster.

I'm 100% sure Up will win Best Score. :) The 'Married Life' segment alone is more attractive to the judges than anything in the other scores.

My bet is that most of the technical categories (VFX, Cinematography, Art Direction) will go to Avatar and Hurt Locker will end up winning Best Picture.

I think The Hurt Locker is very overrated. I hope it doesn't win any major awards.

I'm genuinely unsure about music, which I think is split 3 ways, and the acceptance speeches would go something like this:

Horner: "Jim, you're the most amazing filmmaker in the world- thank you for taking me to Pandora and allowing me to reuse all my old stuff again"

Beltrami: "<some emotional crap on the importance of telling war stories>"

Giacchino: Will be his usual modest self, as I think he's the only one of the three who for all sorts of reasons really deserves to be there.

But I'm more looking forward to an evening in the chatroom (I've got tomorrow morning off, so I'll be there till the end...). That, and watching the whole thing in Sky HD :)

I'd say Avatar as best movie and Quintin as best director

Ditto. Even though I'm quite sure The Hurt Locker will end up as the winner in both categories.

As for the Best Music category, I'm really crossing my fingers for Giacchino. Go Mike!

I don't want Merryl Streep to win

I don't want Mo'Nique to win

I don't want Up in the Air to win anything

I'd rather see Avatar win best score than Up

My favourite film of the year is Avatar (tied with Star Trek)

My favourite film of the year story wise is District 9

I don't mind if Inglorious Bastards wins I liked that too

I don't care about that film Jeff Bridges is in I'll never see it.

I guess we can agree about Basterds...

Avatar winning best picture may be a somehwat likely possibility, but that doesn't make the idea any less ridiculous.

Let's face it, it ain't really what you would call a vintage year for 'Oscar worthy' movies, so given the lack of any solid competition, I'll be quite happy for Avatar to pick up the BP award.

I want Avatar to win BP or Up.

I think its a joke that a Star Trek and District 9 are even nominated for Best Visual Effects. This year of any year Avatar should be given a Special Achievement Award in Visual Effects.

I want Meryl Streep to win

I want Up to win Best Cartoon(animated Feature) and best score.

Don't care wins best Actor, maybe Christopher Plummer cause hes really old and will have fewer chances.

Monique is a shoo in.

Drop the Best Makeup, it should be a special achievement award.

Alex Baldwin should do the show shirtless so I can see his hairy chest. YUM

I only care about the score, and even that I don't really care that much. The Oscars are just bullshit, it's like I was reading the other day, they didn't give Al Pacino the Oscar for Godfather II in 1974 so to make up for it they gave him one in 1992 for doing a Yosemite Sam impression. That's the kind of stuff they do.

Back to the score, Up is the best score from the nominees, so I hope it wins but I really think it's going to Horner, although that may depend on how they have decided to split the pie, if Avatar is overlooked in many categories is more possible they could use the score as a consolation price. Anyway my two favorite scores weren't nominated.

If I cared more about the Oscars, I'd shoot myself if Horner got Best Score instead of Giacchino. As it is, I'd probably settle for banging my head into a brick wall for a few hours.

Unfortunately so.

Or Avatar will, demonstrating to new filmmakers that a bloated budget and being James Cameron is all you need. Peh.

that's a very unfair and not well thought out statement. Cameron's film might have cost alot, but there were more expensive films this year than Avatar, it is not the biggest budgeted film, and every dollar shows up on the screen. His actors always give good performances and GOD forbid he actually tries to entertain people, an act some filmmakers should remember to try and do.

The Oscars are just bullshit, it's like I was reading the other day, they didn't give Al Pacino the Oscar for Godfather II in 1974 so to make up for it they gave him one in 1992 for doing a Yosemite Sam impression. That's the kind of stuff they do.

Nice reference to Cracked.com <_<

Diego have you actually seen Harry and Tonto? I really doubt you have. Art Carney was awesome, he deserved the award.

It's a road film that is all but forgotten. Carney won in a powerhouse year for actors.

A Beautiful Mind winning best picture was the biggest travesty, in recent memory.

Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love is worse. Mainly because it was so obvious that it happened because of the Weinsteins bribing campaigning for it with the Academy. It's impossible to take them seriously when they're that political about it.

Unfortunately so.

Or Avatar will, demonstrating to new filmmakers that a bloated budget and being James Cameron is all you need. Peh.

that's a very unfair and not well thought out statement. Cameron's film might have cost alot, but there were more expensive films this year than Avatar, it is not the biggest budgeted film, and every dollar shows up on the screen. His actors always give good performances and GOD forbid he actually tries to entertain people, an act some filmmakers should remember to try and do.

You are correct that it has some good performances and is, despite an unoriginal story and some awful dialogue, quite entertaining.

So how does that make it a best picture candidate?

that's a very unfair and not well thought out statement. Cameron's film might have cost alot, but there were more expensive films this year than Avatar, it is not the biggest budgeted film

I can't imagine a movie getting a much higher budget. Certainly not aware of any specifics this year.

My point was that it's essentially a huge visual action spectacle. Some friends from work agreed with me that if Avatar had been shot like a regular movie, there would be very little to write home about it. The best film of the year in my view is one that excels all round. Avatar doesn't.

I saw the Hurt Locker. Ok so it was a good movie, but Best Picture material ?

Glad someone else shares my view that it's not even close to the best film of the year.

Same here. Thought it was very good, but definitely not the best film of the year.

Best Score is the only category I feel strongly about tonight. This is Michael's year!

it doesn't mean I don't care for their music (I'd love to have that Avatar 3 c.d. promo) , I just don't root for other composers in award shows

JW is the only one I feel upset if he loses

that's a very unfair and not well thought out statement. Cameron's film might have cost alot, but there were more expensive films this year than Avatar, it is not the biggest budgeted film

I can't imagine a movie getting a much higher budget. Certainly not aware of any specifics this year.

My point was that it's essentially a huge visual action spectacle. Some friends from work agreed with me that if Avatar had been shot like a regular movie, there would be very little to write home about it. The best film of the year in my view is one that excels all round. Avatar doesn't.

HP and the Half Blood Prince had a higher budget. I thought Transformers 2 had a higher budget but I was mistaken.

Again you make a comment that isn't well thought out. If Star Wars had been shot like a regular movie there would be very little to write home about. If Who Framed Roger Rabbit were filmed like a regular movie there would be little to talk about. If Schindler's List had been shot like a regular movie there would be little to write home about. If Forrest Gump had been shot like a regular movie there would be little to talk about.

Avatar wasn't shot like any other movie, it doesn't dimish the impact.

I've watched Avatar in 2D and it was still a damn good yarn in the most traditional cinematic vein; indeed I just don't buy into the whole "the story is unoriginal and predictable" argument - I think that viewpoint is just a trendy load of bollocks. I still question its eligibility as a BP winner though - as in I don't think it is good enough, regardless of the format in which it is seen - the movie doesn't feel like BP material to me. But as I said earlier, its got no serious competiton, so I doubt anyone will feel robbed if it wins and so I say good luck to it.