The 2010 Academy Awards show thread

King Mark

Did anyone actually record the entire show? Specifically the END CREDITS? I'm desperate to find out the name of the male stage usher!! :) :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...did anyone notice that for the first time since 1988

"The Oscar goes to..."

was replaced with

"And the winner is..."

To paraphrase Steve Martin a few years back "I think it's really nice that they no longer say 'And the winner is...'. God forbid anyone should think of this as a competition".

Davros you can not like Avatar but you cannot say it was poorly acted because that is one thing that isn't true.

IMHO it was poorly acted. A few people were OK but by and large, most were very wooden. Again, IMHO. Your mileage may vary. :D

So...did anyone notice that for the first time since 1988

"The Oscar goes to..."

was replaced with

"And the winner is..."

I didn't notice that until near the end, I think maybe just Best Picture is when I noticed. And then I just figured it was Tom Hanks just going "against order". But apparently not.

Not once during or after Avatar did I ever think, Wow, the acting in this is really great. It certainly wasn't horrible, but Sam Worthington was pretty robotic and none of the other actors stuck out as unusually good.

I think the actors in Avatar put a lot of heart into their characters, which goes along way towards a good, agreeable performance. And then you have Stephen Lang's Colonel Quaritch, who is a helluva lot of fun and I think the best kick ass panto villain in years.

CLEAR!

I root for Quaritch too, but I kinda suspect you're half meant to anyway. I think Worthington does a good job when he's in his avatar, but he doesn't have much to work with outside of that.

Sigourney was great as always.

I thought she was bafflingly awful. Obviously acting her way through every scene.

Saldana deserved an Oscar nom, though!

Obviously acting her way through every scene.

As opposed to not acting?

"Acting obviously"? Whatever the phrase is to suggest someone is not believable or in some way reminds you that it's not real because of some sort of unnatural performance.

Hey, it's hard to act against green-screen. Day Lewis is very actorly, but usually his roles and films are to match. God help us if There Will Be Blood or Gangs of New York were going for natuarlism. His performance in In the Name of the Father wasn't overly actorly, fitting the film.

Orson Wells? If anything I'd say it was John Huston. And I don't get Captain Hook at all...either way, I adore both performances, and both films.

Saldana deserved an Oscar nom, though!

I thought the same. I'd have had no illusions about her winning (being up against Sandra and Meryl), but she did an outstanding job. Performance-wise, she was the heart of the film.

- Uni