First soundtrack to include Web slang in the track names?

ChuckM

I find some of the track names in John Powell's Green Zone to be rather humorous. They included "Googles" (as a verb) and "WTF." lol

1. Opening Book

2. 1st WMD Raid

3. Traffic Jam

4. Meeting Raid

5. Helicopter / Freddy Runs

6. Questions

7. Miller Googles

8. Truth / Magellan / Attack

9. Mobilize / Find Al Rawi

10. Evac Preps Part 1

11. Evac Preps Part 2

12. Attack and Chase

13. WTF

14. Chaos / Email

Anyone else listened to it yet? It strikes me as very Bourne-ish (pretty much what I was expecting), but even less thematic. I'm not hugely impressed yet, but then most Powell scores seem to take a while to grow on me.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was surprised to see the name 'Miller Googles'. What an exhilirating scene that must be.

I gave a passing listen the other day, and in a way I enjoyed it as something in the background, but not really anything more than that.

Like I've said before, it works as standalone action pieces, but nothing thematic that I can pick up on.

Intelligent thematic action scoring died with Jerry Goldsmith!

Williams is still alive, isn't he?

My point stands!

Are you implying that John Williams is.....stupid?

No. Stefan's arguement is that Goldsmith arguably wrote better "action" music than Williams, and I am forced to agree with him, even though Williams will always be my favourite composer.

Goldsmith was able to create very effective high energy, masculine, powerful action cues that usually included some really nice counterpoint writing and interplay between parts (brass especially). As well as some mind blowing chromaticism (Planet of the Apes, Total Recall, etc.).

Williams probably didn't always match Goldsmith in terms of energy in his action writing, but the craftsmanship goes way beyond Goldsmith in my opinion. :P

I'd tend to agree that Goldsmith's action writing was better in some circumstances.

There's one cue in PoA that's always bothered me - the bit in The Werewolf Scene where Lupin is in the final stages of transforming and the music is reduced to these metal things clanging and those drums rumbling away. If that bit was meant to sound random/chaotic, it didn't work for me. Just sounds like a mess.

I think their approaches to writing action differ a lot because of what they're asked to score. Goldsmith got a lot of stuff that I doubt Williams would want to touch (like RAMBO), and because of the relationships John struck up, it meant that some of the huge projects around (the Star Wars, the Indys) were off limits to everyone else. I don't really like to favour one over the other, as both had moments when they were absolutely at the top of the game. But both generally submitted scores that 90% were appropriate for the films concerned and enhanced the films themselves.

That said, 'The Battle of Yavin' is probably the best action track in the history of the world, although who knows what someone like Jerry would've done had he got a scene that good to score.