Conflict about who will conduct the Oscar Orchestra

untouchables

This was happening last year, it's concerning the latest Academy awarded musician Micael Giacchino!

this man has done some work in Jurassik Park score Lost World!

Michael Giacchino Getting The Axe As Oscar Conductor?

Trouble a brewin' in the orchestra pit of the Oscars? That's what we're hearing. And now a blogspot has popped up and is airing the internal grievance publicly.

The gist is composer Michael Giacchino ("Ratatouille," "Star Trek," "Up") was offered the gig as conductor/composer for the Academy Award ceremony by Oscar show producers Laurence Mark and Bill Condon, (formerly a position held by Bill Conti who did the job successfully for 21 years) but Giachhino is apparently what they call in the score industry a "hummer" - he can't actually read or write music and this is causing some major issues. And Conti apparently didn't know this before he hired the composer. In fact, he just found out according to this report.

"Yesterday's rehearsal with the orchestra was not good. The orchestra was polite (they all have a lot of money riding on the continuing charade of Mr. Giacchino's orchestral output), but afterwards were discussing the possibility that Mr. Giacchino's conductor Tim Simonec would be needed to come in to add some 'professional help."

Our source is telling us this is a real actual problem happening in the here and now. The report continues.

"When Mr. Giacchino took the job the hope had been that most of the music would be pre-recorded and Mr. Giacchino would get a nod from the host like Mr. Conti had gotten and no one in the audience would be the wiser.

However, when there are five nominees and the conductor has to know the tempos and time signatures for all five themes and do it live, then a degree of competence is required. Especially in front of a billion or whatever people."

So the rumor/word is now that Giacchino just might be replaced at the last minute. Seat of the pants Oscars? Will Simonec take over, period? Word is they're doing their best to have everything fixed and pre-recorded, but some of the professional musicians are out and out amazed (and potentially outraged) that this is happening.

yep this is the new generarion, I don't know why Hollywood still recruit those spongers artists who can't wrire/read music? :lol:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumbass "fell for a BS article" award of the year goes to you Untouchables.

And they awarded this guy with an Oscar?

Oh my, standards have fallen....

You too Steef.

rolleyes.gif

Up is NOT....i repeat NOT an Oscar calibre work!

If your article-reading scrutiny is any indication, I think it's safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.

If you continue to feed a troll it will never go away.

Michael Giacchino is a very good composer and I'm thankful that he has the opportunity to do what he does. Up was well deserving of the Oscar and every other award it's gotten.

professionals like Williams, Morricone, Goldsmith, Mancini, Yared didn't won oscar before 10 years of hard works,.

and this guy who have a "degree in history" win many prizes and want to conduct an orchestra too

i don't believe on those hollywood jury. puppets!

I will leave my country and try my chance in Hollywood, maybe i am a good composer! :lol:

Fake article or not, he wouldn't be the first top-flight composer to not be able to read or write a note of music. There are plenty of other "hummers" in the business.

The article was from 2009. Before those Oscars. It was utter rubbish posted to say Giacchino would not conduct.

He not only conducted, he did an excellent and proficient job.

Greg, we know from many sources, including Giacchino himself that he can read and write music, and in fact he was a pencil paper composer until after the Incredibles where he began writing more and more on the computer, so he can provide virtually complete sketches.

Greg, we know from many sources, including Giacchino himself that he can read and write music, and in fact he was a pencil paper composer until after the Incredibles where he began writing more and more on the computer, so he can provide virtually complete sketches.

At no point have I said he couldn't. And I also know from first hand experience that he is a perfectly competent conductor.

I was merely pointing out that it is not impossible for someone to have the appearance of doing so but be unable to read or write such music. As I originally said, if the article WERE true and and he were indeed a "hummer", it's no big thing - he would not be the only one. A slight shame for me though that he does not use his ability to compose more interesting music.

Greg

Actually,the only one who deserves Oscar and will succeed the veterans is Alan Silvestri...shame on hollywood board who gave award for videogame composer and ignore Silvestri.

I will open a topic about silvestri.

Elfman's composing could only evolve so far...his music is "fun" but you can hear by any new score of his that he's very limited. So it would be a big deal if the article is true and the same applies to Giacchino

Your opinion of course.

As far as I'm concerned he is an A list composer. He has composed music that is better than Williams, Goldsmith, Barry etc etc etc.

If you continue to feed a troll it will never go away.

8e28d158-7daa-446b-b738-67d29898dc0.gif

As for that "article", it's such obvious rubbish. Only those that want to believe it would see it as true.

Elfman is a box of noises!...no more.

how sensitive, intelligent and openminded you sound... I must say.

unless you are trying to post stupid nonsense just for fun, like I do sometimes about Goldsmith, who isn't that bad afterall..

And even if he wasn't, reading music doesn't really have anything to do with keeping tempo.

And even if he wasn't, reading music doesn't really have anything to do with keeping tempo.

Conducting is not keeping tempo.

Still, the variety of skills needed to conduct doesn't include a knowledge of music theory. Maybe to properly rehearse, but I'd assume that since most of the arrangements used in the Oscars are used year after year and mistakes note wise have been corrected.

I will say the Oscars that featured Giacchino as the orchestra conductor were refreshing as he came up with a nice varied selection of music instead of trotting out the same old dull program that everyone else seems to adhere to.

Micael Giacchino!

this man has done some work in Jurassic Park score Lost World!

The videogame, not film, just in case.

I'm not commenting about the rest of your post because it is a load of the best quality manure out there.

What happened? you didnt find anything to attack williams this month, and resorted to the second-third most-liked composer here?

Still, the variety of skills needed to conduct doesn't include a knowledge of music theory. Maybe to properly rehearse, but I'd assume that since most of the arrangements used in the Oscars are used year after year and mistakes note wise have been corrected.

No, music theory is essential to it. I understand what you're saying, that the music is stock and that the musicians are professional enough to keep their own time. True. However, a conductor's psychological importance really can't be overstated. No matter a musician's skill level, he will perform better and with less mistakes if a conductor is there.

Also, isn't there a lot of new music each year? The scores to all the nominated films, for one thing.

No, music theory is essential to it. I understand what you're saying, that the music is stock and that the musicians are professional enough to keep their own time. True. However, a conductor's psychological importance really can't be overstated. No matter a musician's skill level, he will perform better and with less mistakes if a conductor is there.

Also, isn't there a lot of new music each year? The scores to all the nominated films, for one thing.

I don't understand. I'm saying a conductor doesn't need to be educated in music theory, not that an orchestra doesn't need a conductor.

Without extensive knowledge of music theory a conductor really can't do much with orchestral music other than keep the beat. This negates the point of having a conductor at all because professional musicians can keep their own beat.

Without extensive knowledge of music theory a conductor really can't do much with orchestral music other than keep the beat. This negates the point of having a conductor at all because professional musicians can keep their own beat.

I disagree. First off, you need somebody to start the orchestra at the precise second and cut them off as soon as the person is ready to give their speech. And maybe the orchestra members can keep their own beat, but for tempo changes they all probably have a slightly different conception of how the speed should change. And they need somebody to be watching to make sure the tempo is synced with the video segments they have. Then there's the non-technical music stuff. If a melody or important harmony can't be heard, the conductor needs to signal those players to bring it out or others to pull back. None of these require a knowledge of music theory.

Elfman has some good stuff he's just not one of the greats.

He's a B+ composer like Silvestri,Debney,James Newton Howard...

Debney is a C composer, if anything. There is nothing specific about him at all. Good craftsman, but that's it.

Karol