Rare John Williams items.

Naïve Old Fart

That's an interesting video too bad it was left off the DVD. It's too bad they couldn't release DVD's showing the entire recording sessions for the Prequels. I'd buy them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spacecamp Japanaese c.d.

Thomas and the King c.d.

Heidi c.d.

Pops Brittania

And guess the FSM towering Inferno can be considered a rarity

It is in my house! I never want to be without it.

Jane Eyre on vinyl, and the Japanese TOD.

Also several under-fingernail DNA scrapings from which I eventually intend to clone a more flexible maestro who will agree to convince George to release the full prequel scores.

Is that the original vinyl, or the TER re-release in 1982? Good luck with the cloning!

I also have the Varese "The River", and the Varese "Brainstorm". Is the latter rare? Does anyone have "Heidi" on vinyl, complete with Michael Redgrave naration? What about "The Story Of E.T." with Michael Jackson narration?

I also have the Varese "The River", and the Varese "Brainstorm". Is the latter rare? Does anyone have "Heidi" on vinyl, complete with Michael Redgrave naration? What about "The Story Of E.T." with Michael Jackson narration?

Horner's Brainstorm on Varese used to be pretty rare yes, however Amazon appear to have some copies for reasonable prices, so perhaps it was recently re-pressed.

I have that Michael Jackson ET LP, it's never been played though as my turntable hasn't worked for years!

i could swear I had seen that video before...

Maybe in the doccumentary empire of dreams??

No it's not featured in that, from memory JW was painfully under-recognised in that doc.

It was a web-doc so you've probably come across it that way, it was also included on that rare DVD compilation that was distributed by Movie Boulevard a couple of years back.

- Tim

• 1 year later...

Doug, there were three diferent releases of that one. If memory serves (I'm not at home to check it), the one you posted is the US release, with b&w covers.

There was a promo with color covers, and an UK release, on a special case and a Jurassic Park poster.

Oh I have the one with the poster case which has both the Theme from JP and the End Credits (the same as on the OST which runs little over 3 minutes and contains the Island Fanfare) on it. Bought it a few years ago for 5 €. It is missing the poster though and looks like someone has used the front cover as a writing tablet since it has some very deep pencil scratches on it. So much for collector value. :P

Doug, there were three diferent releases of that one. If memory serves (I'm not at home to check it), the one you posted is the US release, with b&w covers.

There was a promo with color covers, and an UK release, on a special case and a Jurassic Park poster.

The Jurassic Park ost was also released in a slimline CD case version, with a slightly different cover. Content was the same though.

Ah, I wasn't aware of there being three different releases!! Mine definitely has b&w covers (well, grayscale, really), is identified as a "Promotional CD Single - Not For Sale", and contains only one track, "Theme from JURASSIC PARK" (3:27). The catalog number is MCA5P-2738, as seen in the lower right-hand corner of the front cover, on both spines, and on the CD's label.

Interesting...

I own the pencil (well, the only one that still exists) with which Williams wrote the score to Star Wars, as well as a letter from him explaining the pencil's origins. Someday I'll see that it's placed in a museum, but in the meantime, it's sitting next to me giving me a massive inferiority complex.

I own the pencil (well, the only one that still exists) with which Williams wrote the score to Star Wars, as well as a letter from him explaining the pencil's origins. Someday I'll see that it's placed in a museum, but in the meantime, it's sitting next to me giving me a massive inferiority complex.

:thumbup:

:D How did you get it?

The Jurassic Park ost was also released in a slimline CD case version, with a slightly different cover. Content was the same though.

Didn't knew about the slimline release, but I have a picture CD of the OST. That last one was also available as LP, which is cooler than the CD.

I remember seeing that one... Didn't you post an image of that at FSM?

I own THE Sharpie that JW used to compose his autograph on the Blue Box. Actually, there are two of them since I was prepared in case I lost one. Now I'm unsure which is actually the one, but I keep both. This is my rarest item.

xnw6qt.jpg

For me, I have a letter JW wrote to me back in 1987. Since that's one of a kind, that's rare. On the CD front, I have the dometic CD release of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Not the Japanese, but the U.S. Polydor release. It was really hard to find way back when I got it. The track titles aren't even listed on the back; there is a picture of Pankot Palace and the movie credits superimposed over it. I don't recall seeing it on eBay; am curious as to what its value is.

ET, I'm glad you know that box is signed so importantly, because the photo doesn't really showcase the signature as much as your I-just-woke-up mug. The light puts everything in the foreground in shadow.

• 5 years later...

These days there seem to be few rare JW releases, thanks ti the stellar work of the specialty labels.

At present I would say the rarest items in my JW collection are:

Dracula (V/S)

Earthquake (V/S)

The Paper Chase/ Conrack/Poseidon Adventure

The Towering Inferno (until LLL's release happens)

The Eiger Sanction (V/S)

Honourable mention: Goodbye, Mr. Chips seems to have sky-rocketed in value since it went OOP a few years back (I have 3 copies).

Not sure which one would be the most valuable money-wise, probably Inferno?

I have the original vinyls of the Star Wars trilogy signed, and also an autographed picture with him.  Plus a few signed Boston Pops programs from past Film Nights.

Here’s my rarities list:

Schindler’s List 24K gold CD

Superman blue box 1st printing

Hedwig’s Theme promo CD single

Summon The Heroes promo CD single

CE3K Audio Fidelity 24K gold SACD

Tintin FYC CD

Dracula CD

The Eiger Sanction CD

The Book Thief FYC CD

Lincoln FYC CD

War Horse FYC CD