Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

We just weren't in the mood for a heavy thinking movie at the time. Watched something light instead, and just haven't come back to it.

Let the Right One In is great and an amazingly-shot film. Evocative, and some impressive shots -- including a climatic one underwater -- just really make this film. And the score was beautiful too.

Her wasn't that impressive, but maybe that was due to Hoytema having to use digital on that one.

And I think Iglesias delivered a cracking score. Really enjoyed hearing his extended suite/concerto for orchestra and oboe based on this music.

Karol

Agreed. Brilliant film. Excellent cast. Wish they'd do a sequel with the same talent.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be like a cross between Spielberg and Malick.

Cool poster.

Spielberg and Kubrick, actually. 2001 has been name dropped as an inspiration.

Hm. Definitely not tonally, but there are obviously some similarities. Most notably...

the fact that the third act is set mostly in the "beyond"

One on the one hand, I'm pumped for Nolan homaging Spielberg properly -Abrams take in my opinion was dreadful.

Abrams, in an interview with Spielberg sitting right next to him, has said that Super 8 was not meant or intended as an "homage to Spielberg", but rather just a representation of a time in his life.

And I think Iglesias delivered a cracking score. Really enjoyed hearing his extended suite/concerto for orchestra and oboe based on this music.

WHAAAAAT?!!!

Link?

It was in concert last year. Tinker Tailor Oboe Spy was the title - three movements, probably over 20 minutes long. I haven't got a recording and, sadly, none seems to be available online. Trust me, I've been looking for it.

Karol

One on the one hand, I'm pumped for Nolan homaging Spielberg properly -Abrams take in my opinion was dreadful.

Abrams, in an interview with Spielberg sitting right next to him, has said that Super 8 was not meant or intended as an "homage to Spielberg", but rather just a representation of a time in his life.

A time of his life when he was a well-fed kid watching tons of Hollywood movies without ever really understanding them (the Spielberg ones at least). Facsimile directors who write and direct like robots!

Exactly!

Spielberg/Kubrick or not, it definitely looks Malickian. Do we know if the Nolanster is a fan? Crocs?

Alex

Okay, I think it's safe to say he's a fan. In fact, it's pretty clear that to them (Nolan and Fincher) Malick is up there with the immortals.

Alex

I think those "influences" might be a reason why some people really have a problem with Nolan - that kind of exalted, sombre, "profound" and contemplative must feel pretentious to many. I get that.

But it doesn't have the same effect on me.

Because I have better taste. ;)

Karol

He re-wrote the script, you know. As to how much, remains to be seen.

He better did, his brother isn't the best of screenwriters (on his own).

Karol

It makes you think of.... EXPOSITION!

And wordy at that.

It makes me think of ... Bond.

:rimshot:

But sometimes there are very faint touches of Kubrick.

41-the-box1_zps7baa2d71.png

full_frontal_monolith_zpsdf603330.jpg

:rimshot:

Alex

Sex and the City 3 by Ingmar Bergman? Star Wars Episode 8 by Andrei Tarkovsky? Fast and Furious 9 by Sergei Parajanov?

Karol

I think with this one some people will complain whether there's too much exposition or not, given the whole blackholey spacetimey thing.

I just dislike so much when characters explain things they already know...

Oh that's interesting, didn't know that. Was that the hangar set, by any chance? There is a slightly Kubrickian feel to it.

tswlmpienewood.jpg

Karol

Live And Let Die falls into the severe guilty pleasure for me, but it's never boring.

Exactly, I can't say that of most other Bonds!

And I gotta say Jane Seymour looks fantastic.

She does! But it's also interesting for Yapphet Kotto because he comes across as a very contemporary villain. His acting feels more natural than other Bond villains of that era and therefore it struck me as more real and threatening.

or_e577166312224262384181_zps699e22f4.jp

All Time High gets me all chilled and goosebumpy just because of Barry's absolutely luxuriously luscious strings. Which is why I prefer the instrumental version.

Hmm, it too is one of my least favorite Bond songs, guest2.

And while Kotto felt natural and normal, it was actually his right-hand man who was the over-the-top villain.

Live-and-Let-Die-50-Years-Of-Bond_zpscb7

Well it's My Little Octopussy isn't it ;)

But yeah, it's the music I'm an absolute sucker for there, the ambience of it; not so much the lyric (or vocal). That cue is my single favourite Barry strings piece. Plus it gets the ladies all relaxed, ahem.