Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

Yep, seems like it'll be in line with previous Nolan teasers and keep actual footage to a minimum. Not surprising considering the amount of post-production yet to happen. Thanks for the report! Enjoy that other movie. ;)

Just saw the Interstellar teaser in the theater.... Doesn't show hardly anything from the actual film, it's mostly stock footage of rockets and shuttles taking off narrated by McConaughey. It was interesting.

I get why the teaser doesn't have much actual footage -- due to Nolan keeping everything (as usual) close to the chest, as well as virtually no visual effects work completed. But they could've teased the concept a bit better... because the impression I'm getting is that Interstellar looks like an Ron Howard film. I'm serious.

And curious to see Spielberg's name left off the producing credits.

... because the impression I'm getting is that Interstellar looks like an Ron Howard film. I'm serious.

Another Apollo 13?

BTW, how does a Ron Howard film look like? I wouldn't recognize it.

... because the impression I'm getting is that Interstellar looks like an Ron Howard film. I'm serious.

Another Apollo 13?

It's the juxtaposition of certain images. A shot of cornfields. A panning shot of a bookcase on a rainy day. McConaughey's honeyed Southern narration. A shot of McConaughey driving away in a truck. And a medium shot of a couple (in the same area) holding hands as a space shuttle launches into the sky. I don't know what Paramount and WB are trying to do here... it honestly feels like a follow-up to Apollo 13.

I expected stock footage of starfields and nebulas to be edited in with the montage. I wasn't expecting the whole plot or key scenes shown, but I expected something a little less vague.

Remember that there are actual physicists involved in this, some of Carl Sagan's pals. It will very much be a paen to human space exploration and an attempt to kick us in the ass and get us back up there in a serious way. It will have that Ron Howard, gung-ho science attitude, whatever else it has.

It's always the case with his films.

Karol

In comparison, the Interstellar teaser is painfully vague. It's at the point where I'm like, "I'm not interested." The previous teasers properly teased me and got me wanting to see the whole film. His Batman films and Inception did a much better job of keeping up the intrigue.

Another Apollo 13?

It's the juxtaposition of certain images. A shot of cornfields. A panning shot of a bookcase on a rainy day. McConaughey's honeyed Southern narration. A shot of McConaughey driving away in a truck. And a medium shot of a couple (in the same area) holding hands as a space shuttle launches into the sky. I don't know what Paramount and WB are trying to do here... it honestly feels like a follow-up to Apollo 13.

I expected stock footage of starfields and nebulas to be edited in with the montage. I wasn't expecting the whole plot or key scenes shown, but I expected something a little less vague.

A follow up to Apollo 13? I've seen that movie at least 500 times... there are no cornfields, bookcases, rainy days, southern accents, or trucks. I feel like every realistic space movie post-1995 has been labelled that, because that's the first association most people make with realistic space movies.

And it's really not all that vague. The narration makes it pretty clear what the film is about at its core.

I think TDK teaser, with the single bat logo and the sound bites, was far more vague.

Incredibly cheesy narration.

They should have got someone like Sam Shepherd to do it.

It wouldn't sound good, even if they had Jessica Chastain or Anne Hathaway doing the narration.

Was great to see in the theater. And it was even better to have so many people ask me if I knew about it. I've been waiting much of my life for a film like this.

Like what? A film for which people would ask you if you knew about it?

Was great to see in the theater. And it was even better to have so many people ask me if I knew about it. I've been waiting much of my life for a film like this.

Oh you. No, a film that combines some of the more wild elements of physics and astronomy within a heartfelt, deeply human context.

I've been waiting much of my life for a film like this.

You've been waiting your whole life for CONTACT 2.0? You have my pity.

2001 2.0. As close as possible, anyway.

Oh you. No, a film that combines some of the more wild elements of physics and astronomy within a heartfelt, deeply human context.

This is Chris Nolan we're talking about, not Terence Malick or Steven Spielberg.

Well... I've seen enough of the origins of the final screenplay to be confident that this film will not lack that element. Nolan can finally really stretch his legs.

Not to mention that I don't find his films nearly as sterile as many do.

Trailer looks quite good. Looking forward to it.

Looks good to me. Also the music seems like a new sound for Zimmer. Of course, I can't say based off a 2 minute trailer, but I like it. Really fond of the Nolan/Zimmer collab.

Not new, you can clearly hear its origins from "The Thin Red Line". But it sounds refreshing compared to his latest stuff.

The thing is, like Stefan, I no longer trust trailers. They offer so much promise, and the product often ends up being pretty different from what we were teased with. Case in point, MoS. Even TDKR never quite lived up to the scope the trailers seemed to show off.

But still, colour me excited.

That stands out because of the restrained, often aloof and indeed sterile nature of his films.

How? If the music is literally trying to do everything to pull in the viewer? It's always by the score that one can find a director's true intentions, Steef. And look at Michael Caine as the warm loving substitute father, rarely have I seen Spielberg offer that much saccharine to the audience. And what about the overly sympathetic commissioner Gordon adding comic relief to the Batman films? All sterile and emotionally remote? Huh? The only character that is cold is Batman himself in TDK. (Not so in Batman Begins or TDKR) That's it!

Alex

Not going to watch this trailer. I'm not exactly hopeful, but there is a small smidgen of hope that Nolan might yet surprise me and turn in a proper hard sci-fi movie which I could really use.

Nolan? Sterile? Listen to the score accentuating and exaggerating every scene or moment in his films ... Even Spielberg would find that too much.

Yes, his films are oddly cold and asexual, very aspie. Sentimental at times too, but that's no substitute for genuine warmth, humanism and sensuality.

Trailer looks quite good. Looking forward to it.

Looks good to me. Also the music seems like a new sound for Zimmer. Of course, I can't say based off a 2 minute trailer, but I like it. Really fond of the Nolan/Zimmer collab.

Not new, you can clearly hear its origins from "The Thin Red Line".

Reminds me of the harmonies in this MoS cue.

I hear similarities to the last two minutes or so of Terraforming from that score, as well as the nigh-transcendent middle section of Science and Religion from A&D.

Which was exactly what I was hoping for.

I hear similarities to the last two minutes or so of Terraforming from that score, as well as the nigh-transcendent middle section of Science and Religion from A&D.

Which was exactly what I was hoping for.

It also has a kind of nice Last Samurai-vibe going for it too.

Mhmm. It's simple stuff, but Hans is one of the few who can take really straightforward building blocks and create something not at all cloying or generic, but powerful and with real identity.

:peepwall: