More Trek Music Coming This Year?

Ollie

For those who follow FSM and the Rozsa box threads, Lukas dropped a hint that FSM Box 5, with 16 discs, is supposed to be released this summer. Also, Ron Jones had posted his Facebook account that a box set of his TNG music was in the works from FSM.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=65076&forumID=1&archive=0

Also this little tidbit from Jeff Bond that slipped by everyone:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/09/tmp30-the-music-of-star-trek-the-motion-picture/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Trek, and Ron Jones is OK by me, but I'm not sure I'm fan enough to plunk down the $$$ for 15 discs of Ron Jones TNG music. I kinda hope it isn't that.

I didn't pick up on the Jeff Bond one, though I only skimmed.

This one was a comment posted on SAE's facebook page last week, and SAE's subsequent reply. This is another one that people seem to have missed!

" Besides the Black Hole, how about Star Trek III?"

SAE: "can do - will do - it is in the works!"

I'd rather see a one or two disc set of Ron Jones' scores to the TV series Duck Tales. The album of The Best of Both Worlds is great, especially during Locutus' cliffhanging speech, and the animated Superman disc is also nice, but the episode music to Duck Tales is my last ultimate holy grail of soundtrack music, the free clips of which from Ron Jones only made me more excited for what's out there.

Trek TV scores? I might buy a single release I was interested in, but not a 3-digit cost, double digit disc set. When I saw the thread title I was hoping it was for another full film score release or Vol. 2 of Giacchino Trek.

Cool about Star Trek III...I might buy that. (Partly just to assuage my guilt for not purchasing the complete TWOK before it went out of print... :))

The TWOK CD is unlimited.

Neil

If FSM's next box set is in fact the Ron Jones Star Trek TNG set, I will for sure pick it up. I loved the episodes he scored can't wait to actually hear em' away from the show.

Regarding Star Trek 3's complete score, nice to see that SAE has confirmed it's in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets out this year. That too I'd buy in an instant.

Oh and Joe (Datameister), ya Star Trek 2's complete score is unlimited. If you don't have it yet, definitely pick it up it's worth it!

Yeah, I'm just trying to decide if I can justify the expense right now...I'm already going to pick up the Lost season 5 soundtrack later this year, and I've bought several CDs recently as it is...without any steady source of income at the moment, it's hard to buy too much stuff. But yes, it is a fantastic score - probably Horner's best - and the folks at FSM have my gratitude and respect for giving it the release it deserves.

This one was a comment posted on SAE's facebook page last week, and SAE's subsequent reply. This is another one that people seem to have missed!

I'm getting THIS ONE FOR SURE !!!

The Trek II CD is fantastic, BTW. FSM/SAE/Retrograde did a fantastic job.

The other one I'm after is that Star Trek (2009) vol. 2. A grossly underrepresented score.

Yeah, I'm just trying to decide if I can justify the expense right now...I'm already going to pick up the Lost season 5 soundtrack later this year, and I've bought several CDs recently as it is...without any steady source of income at the moment, it's hard to buy too much stuff. But yes, it is a fantastic score - probably Horner's best - and the folks at FSM have my gratitude and respect for giving it the release it deserves.

Ah okay understandable, PM coming your way!

Edit: Hmm, shows that you can't receive any more PM's...your box maybe full again.

Trek TV scores? I might buy a single release I was interested in, but not a 3-digit cost, double digit disc set. When I saw the thread title I was hoping it was for another full film score release or Vol. 2 of Giacchino Trek.

I really with Vol. 2 was here. I'll be awaiting it impatiently.

Ah okay understandable, PM coming your way!

Edit: Hmm, shows that you can't receive any more PM's...your box maybe full again.

Yeah, it keeps filling up...don't worry about me, though. :) Thanks anyway!

I'd rather see a one or two disc set of Ron Jones' scores to the TV series Duck Tales. The album of The Best of Both Worlds is great, especially during Locutus' cliffhanging speech, and the animated Superman disc is also nice, but the episode music to Duck Tales is my last ultimate holy grail of soundtrack music, the free clips of which from Ron Jones only made me more excited for what's out there.

Totally agreed. I love the Ducktales TV series, and the music is one of my all-time favourites. :)

Lukas appears to be a big fan of Ron Jones, he even mentioned awhile back that he was present at some of the Family Guy recording sessions and apparently interrupted/ruined the take that spoofed TNG's Best Of Both Worlds part one finale by laughing.

I love Ron Jones' music for the TNG but I would hope a box set would encompass the best of all the Trek TV shows.

I didn't catch the Facebook post by SAE about III, but I'm not surprised. I keep repeating myself and even Doug Fake had commented at last year's FSM gathering that quite a bit of stuff we've wanted is coming, we just have to be patient.

Releasing III only makes sense after releasing II.

I imagine that in the near future, we'll look back on this time of not having complete Star Trek scores as a silly memory.

I've always found Trek TV music to be dull wallpaper. With the exception of "The Inner Light" and a couple of Voyager episodes it was largely forgettable.

I agree. There really is not enough good stuff to fill that many discs. But if it happens, I want it.

I've always found Trek TV music to be dull wallpaper. With the exception of "The Inner Light" and a couple of Voyager episodes it was largely forgettable.

In the TNG era, maybe, but TOS has some incredible music from the likes of Courage, Fried, Kaplan and Fielding.

Releasing III only makes sense after releasing II.

I imagine that in the near future, we'll look back on this time of not having complete Star Trek scores as a silly memory.

I'm going to have to give my FSM/SAE/Retrograde Trek II CD a spin tonight. Just to get it out of my system. cool.gif

I agree about TOS, Charlie. It's rather sad that they had to do SO much tracking, but the material is very good. In a very dated sort of way, of course - Courage's opening fanfare is about the only piece of melodic material that still seems truly timeless, but that's okay. Part of the appeal is the cute 60s sound.

Some of it isn't so "cute" at all, e.g. "The Menagerie," "The Doomsday Machine." Good stuff. I can't imagine the masters for that old music are in very good shape though.

You think Ron Jones' music for TNG was dull wallpaper? What are you smoking?

I've always liked Ron Jones' TNG scores.

If memory served, it was because he wasn't willing to be musical wallpaper that he ended up leaving the show to Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway.

The Best Of Both Worlds was great, BTW.

Well, Henry, I don't mean that all TOS music was literally cutesy - a fair amount of it was certainly weird, distressful, dramatic, etc. But when heard through early-21st-century ears - or at least mine - that music has a certain cute datedness to it. I don't say that to put down the music - I just think it has a certain sound to it.

- Datameister, who hasn't paid great attention to the music of TNG, but who has found it to be dull wallpaper as well

You think Ron Jones' music for TNG was dull wallpaper? What are you smoking?

Haha, obviously not the good stuff. I watched the shows in a weird order; started with all 7 seasons of Voyager where thanks to Rick Berman the music was mixed lower than a whisper and was ordered to be uninteresting. Then I watched all of TNG and noticed some good music but was used to not noticing the music at all and just didn't hear it after a while. I just started DS9 (about 10 episodes in) and it's suffering from the same wallpaper syndrome.

Next time I watch TNG I'll make myself listen. I'm missing out by the sound of it.

The only Trek score I'm bothered about being expanded is The Final Frontier.

There was some great cues ommitted from the OST, and the sound mix is awful.

Really? Maybe mine's dodgy then.

The sound in the Main/End Titles warbles from left to right/right to left quite a lot. This is really evident if you compare The Final Frontier to something like The Mummy, or Air Force One etc because their sound qualities are absolutely excellent, the perfect mix! :)

The only problem with Star Trek V's album is the small amount of Goldsmith's score and that atrocious song.

I found one of the quotes on their Facebook page: "expanded of course - it's in the works - sometme soon".

The only problem with Star Trek V's album is the small amount of Goldsmith's score and that atrocious song.

The sound mix is indeed a bit on the flat side....it sounds just too bright and punchy, with almost no real bass or room ambience.

I am a great fan of V, but i will warn people: i have studied the score on DVD and while i keep reading about unreleased goodies in epic proportions, it's just not true. The score runs around an hour, expanding on some motifs and having a prominent re-use of the old ENTERPRISE alternate (which barely runs a minute), so while it still is a masterful score by Goldsmith - and coming on the heels of some atrocious stuff he did back in the late 80s - i doubt a new incarnation will bring as much as some lead you to believe (or he did tons of alternates, which i doubt).

As for the film: Why do they put seatbelts in the cinemas this summer? (To keep people from leaving)...i'm still amused by the idea. :)

I don't know, I think there's quite a bit of good music from the first half, up to when Sybok takes over the Enterprise, that didn't make the CD. Not to mention the second half of Free Minds.

I found one of the quotes on their Facebook page: "expanded of course - it's in the works - sometme soon".

Yep. I saw that too.

I don't know, I think there's quite a bit of good music from the first half, up to when Sybok takes over the Enterprise, that didn't make the CD. Not to mention the second half of Free Minds.

There is some GREAT material missing from Star Trek V. I love the sequence where Sybok takes over Paradise City, and the pre-credit musc (You're a VULCAN?).

Pity about the movie though.

What's wrong with the song?

It's just there. It's not offensive, it's not terrible, it's just...there. Out of place for Star Trek, yes. But it's not cannibalistic death metal hip hop.

Pity about the movie though.

I have a soft spot for the movie. Some of it's so bad, it's good! laugh.gif

I can't complain too much really. It got the character interactions right, and the score of course, but the movie was really lacking everywhere else.