More Trek Music Coming This Year?

Ollie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity about the movie though.

I have a soft spot for the movie. Some of it's so bad, it's good! laugh.gif

I can't complain too much really. It got the character interactions right, and the score of course, but the movie was really lacking everywhere else.

Scotty gets some of his best lines of the whole series.

Pity about the movie though.

I have a soft spot for the movie. Some of it's so bad, it's good! laugh.gif

I can't complain too much really. It got the character interactions right, and the score of course, but the movie was really lacking everywhere else.

Scotty gets some of his best lines of the whole series.

I know this ship like the back of my hand.

There is definitely a lot of music missing from Star Trek V. One of my favorite bits I want to hear is when Uhura picks up Kirk, Spock and McCoy from shore leave and we see the shuttle leaving Yellowstone and flying up into space towards the Enterprise.

I'd rather see a one or two disc set of Ron Jones' scores to the TV series Duck Tales. The album of The Best of Both Worlds is great, especially during Locutus' cliffhanging speech, and the animated Superman disc is also nice, but the episode music to Duck Tales is my last ultimate holy grail of soundtrack music, the free clips of which from Ron Jones only made me more excited for what's out there.

Totally agreed. I love the Ducktales TV series, and the music is one of my all-time favourites. :lol:

Thirded. There's a good selection on Jones' site. Sadly, Roger (Intrada) said Disney won't liscense out the rights of their animated projects to third(?) parties. Unless they do it themselves (unlikely), we're still screwed as Disney hasn't really let us into that vault like we want.

I've always found Trek TV music to be dull wallpaper. With the exception of "The Inner Light" and a couple of Voyager episodes it was largely forgettable.

You think Ron Jones' music for TNG was dull wallpaper? What are you smoking?

The ironic thing is, is that Blum is likely thinking about the orchestral suite on the GNP CD for "The Inner Light", which was arranged for the CD and not in the episode. It was based around the beautiful flute solo heard tow or three times in the peisode, including the very end, and thus I'm betting he can't recall a single lick of any of the actual score in the episode, which was sparce.

I am a great fan of V, but i will warn people: i have studied the score on DVD and while i keep reading about unreleased goodies in epic proportions, it's just not true. The score runs around an hour, expanding on some motifs and having a prominent re-use of the old ENTERPRISE alternate (which barely runs a minute), so while it still is a masterful score by Goldsmith - and coming on the heels of some atrocious stuff he did back in the late 80s - i doubt a new incarnation will bring as much as some lead you to believe (or he did tons of alternates, which i doubt).

You're right, there's not a massive amount of music left off but it there's still roughly 20 or so minutes that I would like to see added.

The sequence where they leave the campfire and approach the Enterprise, Sybok's entrance into Paradise City, The opening sequence before the main titles and the crew briefing Kirk gives before they get underway that features a little comical bit of music as Kirk sits in his new chair and then cuts to the Klingon ship.

And a few other small moments, as you mentioned, where a few motifs are expanded upon.

Doug Fake had mentioned, in a post at Intrada, that he was present at the scoring sessions and Goldsmith had composed a new fanfare/theme but the orchestra was having difficulty with it so I imagine the odds of it being around for inclusion is not possible.

A hypothetical track listing for Star Trek III, based on the OST and The Music Of Star Trek by Jeff Bond:

Star Trek III - the Search For Spock (Complete Cue List)

1. Prologue and Main Title* (6:51)

2. Klingons* (5:45)

3. Spock's Cabin (1:36)

4. The Klingon's Plan* (1:29)

5. The Mind Meld (2:30)

6. Spock endures Pon Farr* (0:48)

7. That Old Black Magic (Johnny Mercer, Harold Arlan) (1:21)

8. Tangerine (Johnny Mercer, Victor Scherzinger) (1:03)

9. I Remember You (Johnny Mercer, Victor Scherzinger) (0:41)

10. Stealing the Enterprise* (8:52)

11. Grissom Destroyed (0:59)

12. Sunset on Genesis (2:40)

13. Spock Endures Pon Farr #2 (3:01)

14. Bird of Prey Decloaks (4:06)

15. A Fighting Chance to Live (4:08)

16. Genesis Destroyed* (2:43)

17. Returning to Vulcan (3:43)

18. The Katra Ritual (4:29)

19. End Title* (6:26)

Album Versions

20. Klingons (Album Version) (5:55)

21. Returning to vulcan (Album Version) (4:49)

Bonus Track

22. The Search For Spock (3:43)

* - Contains T.V. Theme by Alexander Courage

I could do without the source cues, especially since they are barely noticeable in the film. But my main desire is to have the death of the Enterprise & Genesis cues.

I'm pretty sure we'll get everything, as long as it's available.

The ironic thing is, is that Blum is likely thinking about the orchestral suite on the GNP CD for "The Inner Light", which was arranged for the CD and not in the episode. It was based around the beautiful flute solo heard tow or three times in the peisode, including the very end, and thus I'm betting he can't recall a single lick of any of the actual score in the episode, which was sparce.

Can I ask a quick question please?

What are you talking about?

Inner Light = Jay Chattaway

Ron Jones = Season 1 to Season 4 of TNG.

Jay Chattaway = Ron Jone's replacement in Season 4

Season 4 = An Entire Season Before Season 5 which featured the Inner Light Episode

The Inner Light Episode = Who's best scene is with Picard playing solo penny-whistle at the very end, in total silence as the ship flys by

The Penny Whistle Theme = Which wasn't rearranged for the 47-piece Star Trek orchestra until 1996 for the 30th anniversary.

I've always found Trek TV music to be dull wallpaper. With the exception of "The Inner Light" and a couple of Voyager episodes it was largely forgettable.

You think Ron Jones' music for TNG was dull wallpaper? What are you smoking?

I think he misread the quote and attributed it to you.

Yes. Here's the original quote which was quoted four times before Tharp' dropped the original poster.

Blume's analysis is pure Trekkie goodness. Nerd!

I haven't heard the orchestral arrangement of "The Inner Light". I was referring to the music in the episode itself, mainly the flute solo. It was sparce and short, yes, but it was still beautiful and memorable. As I said, I find the vast majority of Trek music forgettable, this was just an exception.