TPM Score rerelease?

Sebulba

About videogames material, some AOTC unreleased music that appears Star Wars videogames are from the aborted release AOTC Ultimate Edition. At least Star Wars Battlefront II, Renegade and Elite Squadron, Galaxies (and Expansions) and also The Force Unleashed.

yes yes, keep coming with all these true but somehow unconfirmed facts.. just what we need.

also, did you know, that all the unreleased music from ROTS is pressed on the other side of the CD, beneath the label? just scratch the the label off and put it in the CD player -TRUST ME!!

now excuse me I have to leave and continue my experiment, how much damage the original HP3 Master Tapes, which I happen to have at home, (not that hard to obtain, just call the filmcompany and ask for it) react if exposed to direct sunlight. flameblob.gif

Best reply to any post of the year so far....

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About videogames material, some AOTC unreleased music that appears Star Wars videogames are from the aborted release AOTC Ultimate Edition. At least Star Wars Battlefront II, Renegade and Elite Squadron, Galaxies (and Expansions) and also The Force Unleashed.

yes yes, keep coming with all these true but somehow unconfirmed facts.. just what we need.

also, did you know, that all the unreleased music from ROTS is pressed on the other side of the CD, beneath the label? just scratch the the label off and put it in the CD player -TRUST ME!!

now excuse me I have to leave and continue my experiment, how much damage the original HP3 Master Tapes, which I happen to have at home, (not that hard to obtain, just call the filmcompany and ask for it) react if exposed to direct sunlight. :)

Ha!

Well, there was a report in 2002 that an AotC Ultimate Edition was planned and assembled, then canceled. It would have been straight from the film stems just like the TPM UE.

I'm pretty sure all the recorded music for TPM is out already...

I don't know, I have a feeling that we're still missing a piece or two from the original Battle of Naboo puzzle.

AOTC also needs to be remastered or something to eliminate all the hiss and give the music some oomph. It sounds like shite.

Shawn Murphy should hang his head in shame over that one. Possibly the worst CD mix I've ever head.

Well, there was a report in 2002 that an AotC Ultimate Edition was planned and assembled, then canceled. It would have been straight from the film stems just like the TPM UE.

I trust the source who originally reported that back in 2002-2003 but thank god they did cancel it.

Agreed with both of you. Since the new AOTC material that has surfaced from the games, it's their film version counter parts so it seems only logical that report from 2002-2003 was real. All though at this point I would have taken any form of 2-CD set for AOTC to get the unreleased music.

I'm still not holding my breath though about this re-release for The Phantom Menace. I'll wait to see if it actually happens and to see if it's the real full intended score or not.

I trust the source who originally reported that back in 2002-2003 but thank god they did cancel it.

How is having the material in a severely chopped up and incomplete form worse than not having it at all? I mean, I don't support the UE approach to creating a so-called complete soundtrack any more than the next guy, but it's better than nothing. The TPM UE still provided a bunch of great music in superb sound quality, despite all its flaws.

If its not going to be done right to begin with then I might as well skip buying the disc and just pop in the DVD and turn down the front channels and just listen to the rear ones since it will be almost the same exact thing.

This isn't a case of the masters being lost, Lucasfilm released the original trilogy correctly, minus some sound issues which don't ruin the listening experience because the music is all there. Why couldn't the same be done for the prequels?

Well the "correct" as you say versions of the OT came out in 1997, which was 20/17/14 years after the OT (77, 80, 83).

Since the PT came out 99/02/05, we can expect good versions of the PT in 2019 :)

I agree that it absolutely should have been done for the prequels - it would have made WAY more sense. But again, why is it actually better to not release any more material at all than to release it in a botched format, Mark? Clearly, not releasing the AOTC UE hasn't made them any more inclined to create a legitimate complete release.

Weren't there even speculations in the Film Score Community like with the special labels and such that the Ultimate Edition for The Phantom Menace was just a bit too early?

Well the "correct" as you say versions of the OT came out in 1997, which was 20/17/14 years after the OT (77, 80, 83).

Since the PT came out 99/02/05, we can expect good versions of the PT in 2019 :)

cheer up.

in 2015 we will get the star wars prequel anthology to easy the pain until the release of the Prequel trilogy Special editions... ;)

If its not going to be done right to begin with then I might as well skip buying the disc and just pop in the DVD and turn down the front channels and just listen to the rear ones since it will be almost the same exact thing.

That's not true at all. The UE may have been chopped up but the sound quality was superb. For the unreleased music it made available, it was far from a wasted release.

This isn't a case of the masters being lost, Lucasfilm released the original trilogy correctly, minus some sound issues which don't ruin the listening experience because the music is all there. Why couldn't the same be done for the prequels?

The mysteries of Lucas' business logic. Releasing the prequels could hardly be cheaper, especially if distributed digitally.

Well, this thread has at least made me revisit TPM many times in the last few hours. And while a complete and proper edition is one my absolute holy grails, I must say the original TPM cd release is quite simply a wonderful listening experience. One of the best albums JW has ever assembled, IMHO.

In my view it is a wonderful album and provides a great listening experience, with all the major "moods" and orchestral colours present. DOn't get me wrong, I too long for a proper and complete release of the score (as the unreleased music is equaly wonderful), but I just can't criticize the OST

How about that it's too short, it's missing some of the best cues in the score, and has several sections (Arrival at Coruscant) and tracks twice on the album (DotF and Anakin's Theme).There's a bunch of quiet cues from the beginning of the score instead of score highlights proper.

But in terms of listening experience, it all flows incredibly well, in my view. I don't think you could've made a much better release in just one cd (well, I do agree about the Arrival at Coruscant bit)

I think it makes the score seem boring and does not do justice to the complete score.

A bit like RotS where I was very disappointed in my first few listens of the OST ,until we got more material from it. I bet those still bashing RotS are the ones who didn't bother to make an expanded score

AOTC also needs to be remastered or something to eliminate all the hiss and give the music some oomph. It sounds like shite.

Shawn Murphy should hang his head in shame over that one. Possibly the worst CD mix I've ever head.

A.I.

In my view it is a wonderful album and provides a great listening experience, with all the major "moods" and orchestral colours present. DOn't get me wrong, I too long for a proper and complete release of the score (as the unreleased music is equaly wonderful), but I just can't criticize the OST

I find it a horribly confused and unsatisfactory album.

I'll give an example. The track Anakin Defeats Sebulba. I'm not sure if all the segments of this track are meant to flow all together, but as a single track, it's almost like a concert suite and IMHO, one of JW's all time best tracks. BTW, does anyone know where in the film this track was suposed to be used. I guess not in the Gungan Battle, as it features Anakin's theme.

I have to agree with Merkel, if you manage to not think about what's missing, it's a very good listen and I've always enjoyed for what it is. I got so used to "The Sith Spacecraft and Droid Battle" that I was a bit dissapointed when I realised they're two different cues, I thought that track worked really well. Also "The Droid Invasion" is like a small suite of the Trade Federation" theme. I'm not saying it's not missing great stuff thoug.

I'll give an example. The track Anakin Defeats Sebulba. I'm not sure if all the segments of this track are meant to flow all together, but as a single track, it's almost like a concert suite and IMHO, one of JW's all time best tracks. BTW, does anyone know where in the film this track was suposed to be used. I guess not in the Gungan Battle, as it features Anakin's theme.

I believe it should underscore lap 3 of the pod race.

Releasing the prequels could hardly be cheaper, especially if distributed digitally.

But if they were distributed digitally, people could share the files with each other! [/sarcasm]

I agree that it absolutely should have been done for the prequels - it would have made WAY more sense. But again, why is it actually better to not release any more material at all than to release it in a botched format, Mark? Clearly, not releasing the AOTC UE hasn't made them any more inclined to create a legitimate complete release.

It's a sloppy way to present a score and with all the jarring edits, looping and tracking, I'd rather have nothing at all.

Weren't there even speculations in the Film Score Community like with the special labels and such that the Ultimate Edition for The Phantom Menace was just a bit too early?

Several producers did mention it was a bad idea from a business standpoint to put it out so quickly and I believe the sales were poor.

"Panaka and the Queen's Protectors" is an awesome track as well.

I have to believe AOTC is the best of the prequel CDs in terms of the content. I'm always most satisfied after listening to that one. Maybe because AOTC is the best of the prequel scores. *ducks*

It's a sloppy way to present a score and with all the jarring edits, looping and tracking, I'd rather have nothing at all.

I'd rather take that music on the UE and make a 95% complete score edit myself with all the available material than nothing at all

Depends if your hobby is only buying c.d.'s and always listening to them "as is" and does not include getting as much unreleased music as possible from certain composers

I only do this for JW stuff though .Depends how badly you want the music.If you want the AotC music badly you would buy a UE and make an edit from there and it would be better than nothing

Yes, it is a sloppy way to present a score. Exceedingly so. Embarrassingly so. But again I ask you - why does that mean you want no one to have an AOTC UE? It'd certainly be understandable not to buy it - although I personally would - but why be glad that no one got to experience it?

Didn't the ROTS soundtrack do pretty well? Why the hell does The Dark Knight get a two disc set like a couple months later and here we are 5 years on scrounging for 15 second clips of unreleased music from video games...

(In response to KM)

But you shouldn't have to do that, and this is what Lucasfilm has repeatedly failed to grasp.

I can think of few releases, from any of the specialty labels that required as much reassembling, editing and incorporation of boot tracks as music releases from Lucasfilm have.

Didn't the ROTS soundtrack do pretty well? Why the hell does The Dark Knight get a two disc set like a couple months later and here we are 5 years on scrounging for 15 second clips of unreleased music from video games...

Dark Knight is a MV score that the masses go crazy for. Plus it has composers who don't seem allergic to their music being properly released.

I find it a horribly confused and unsatisfactory album.

I'm with Marian and KM on this. It's a mess chronologically, and doesn't come even close to being a fair representation of the complete score.

But again I ask you - why does that mean you want no one to have an AOTC UE? It'd certainly be understandable not to buy it - although I personally would - but why be glad that no one got to experience it?

Where are you getting this idea? All I said was thank god they didn't release it. I would hope after TPM that John Williams fans would have some common sense and avoid a disaster release like that.

Apparently I was wrong.

We don't represent the 100% of fans, I've come across UE type edits for The Empire Strikes Back, so obviously some crazy fans out there like the UE concept.

We don't represent the 100% of fans, I've come across UE type edits for The Empire Strikes Back, so obviously some crazy fans out there like the UE concept.

I suppose these are Star Wars fans over music fans.

I know there were rumors too that a reason the AotC UE was scrapped was due to the negative film score fan reaction to the TPM one.

yes, I was against sending that petition bashing it at the time (even If signed it).

We know Lucasfilm isn't able to release anything properly so better grab all the music you can and make the best with it.A AotC UE would yeld about 45 minutes of new music. Since the OST is almost edit free we can use it as a basis to add the new music and make an acceptable expanded score

Actually there was someone who used to troll here that complained about the SE's not sounding like they were in the films and other annoying things.

Where are you getting this idea? All I said was thank god they didn't release it.

What's the difference between being glad they didn't release it and being glad no one got to buy it? One entails the other. :lol:

I would hope after TPM that John Williams fans would have some common sense and avoid a disaster release like that.

Or they could have some common sense and buy what music is available, even though its format is far from perfect. I'm realistic enough to realize that I, as one person, can have very little impact on a label's overall profits, so it's not as if I can accomplish much by not buying a flawed release just to protest its flaws. That being the case, I may as well buy what music I can, even though I'd be wishing it were released properly.

Ever since I completed my intended edition for The Phantom Menace, I really haven't listened to the Ultimate Edition really at all. I mean I have tried on a few occasions but just had to turn it off because of the horrible edits.

Because Hans Zimmer is gawd.

And John Williams is a grumpy old Scrooge McDuck, sitting on a buttload of money, throwing his nephew Donald a dime from time to time so he doesn't starve to death - with a snort, because every dime is connected to a personal story.

Why doesn't Zimmer get the power over Williams' releases, and vice versa?

Or they could have some common sense and buy what music is available, even though its format is far from perfect. I'm realistic enough to realize that I, as one person, can have very little impact on a label's overall profits, so it's not as if I can accomplish much by not buying a flawed release just to protest its flaws. That being the case, I may as well buy what music I can, even though I'd be wishing it were released properly.

there was a time ,before the internet and all those releases ,where I'd tape unreleased JW music off VHS tapes to hear it. I'm sure I'm not the only one . Computers just make it easier to assemble. So I'm just geared to grab any music I can even if the release is not perfect. Why on earth would I NOT buy an AotC UE just to silently "protest".

Anyways, any score that's part of your favourite composer or series of all time is worth taking time to add unreleased music to existing albums,make more complete edits...and any bit helps

That's exactly what I'm saying. UE-style presentation is deeply flawed, but it's better than nothing. Although I didn't attempt to tape the music from the video, I do very clearly remember sitting at my boombox with the TPM OST, a piece of paper, and a pencil, noting track times in an attempt to figure out exactly what went where. Of course, I didn't realize at the time that the music in the film is hacked up just as much as the music on the OST - there's just more of it.