TPM Score rerelease?

Sebulba

I tried GM's edit of RotS, but I didn't like it. He went beyond simple editing and messed with the mix so much it sounded completely artificial and overprocessed.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't like the way he artificially separates every cue even if they flowed together properly on the OST

Personally I don't include the DVD rip sections with sound effects but it's good to have such a version to know where all the music goes

I stick to the clean game material and re-edit my cues whenever we get a new section of music

I only used them for the RotS finale ...but I still don't like having to use that source as it sounds crappier than the game files.

when a cue only has a few seconds missing (like Be Careful of your Friend),it's much less jarring to leave out the missing section than including a DVD rip

I also don't like the way he artificially separates every cue even if they flowed together properly on the OST

Like the end credits into four or five parts.

I tried GM's edit of RotS, but I didn't like it. He went beyond simple editing and messed with the mix so much it sounded completely artificial and overprocessed.

Agreed with the both of you. The way how he split cues like "Boys Into Battle", "Scenes and Dreams" and other cues was totally unnecessary. I think his thinking is that cues are no more than a couple minutes in length.

In fact it's just the opposite, a cue can be however long the scene calls for it..whether be 3 minutes to as much as up to (or over) 6 minutes. Ya there maybe a moment or two of silence in between sections but that's how the composer wrote it...just because that silence is there doesn't mean that it's two separate cues.

Agreed with the both of you. The way how he split cues like "Boys Into Battle", "Scenes and Dreams" and other cues was totally unnecessary. I think his thinking is that cues are no more than a couple minutes in length.

In fact it's just the opposite, a cue can be however long the scene calls for it..whether be 3 minutes to as much as up to (or over) 6 minutes. Ya there maybe a moment or two of silence in between sections but that's how the composer wrote it...just because that silence is there doesn't mean that it's two separate cues.

My Episode I, II and III Edits (aside from Intended Order edits) go cue-by-cue but I always search for a logical ending to each cue IE no cutting the Elevator Scene or Boys Into Battle. If I can help it, I never divide a cue.

At the same time, my first TESB album was the Anthology. So the long "Battle of Hoth" track on disc 1 of the Special Edition album is jarring to me. It's a super-track that doesn't need to be so long, regardless of its continuity in the film. With an iPod it doesn't really matter, though I think I found one place to split it into smaller tracks. But on disc 2 of the ROTJ Special Edition soundtrack, it got ridiculous.

Yet my third track of The Temple of Doom is about 20 minutes long. Go figure.

Yet my third track of The Temple of Doom is about 20 minutes long. Go figure.

I split that ending one with 'fast streets of shanghai' and the other starting with 'map'

Somehow i prefer and think that the ostinato buildup makes a great opening.

I enjoy long cue suites as long as the cues flow organically into each other. My edits of ToD, AotC, and RotS all have 15-20 minute single tracks, and I really like the presentations of the Hoth and Endor cues on the SEs.

I dunno ,I'm kind of in between about that issue .Some cues are meant to be together (like the whole Battle over Coruscant ) and some longer ones benefit from being separated ( like the RotJ and ESB long cues)

I like the Indiana Jones box set mostly as it is. Only a few cues should have been joined (the ones that end in a long sustained note that was meant to be joined to the next cue)

I enjoy long cue suites as long as the cues flow organically into each other. My edits of ToD, AotC, and RotS all have 15-20 minute single tracks, and I really like the presentations of the Hoth and Endor cues on the SEs.

For my Prequel sets while each cue may look separate they run into each other like how they do in the film thus making it long style cue suites.

I have mixed feelings about cues and their separation. On the one hand, I inexplicably love getting to hear cues that separately if they were written that way. But then I also love editing them so they flow together as intended, and I also prefer listening to them that way as part of an album listening experience. So I suppose in my perfect world, every cue would be presented separately, and then I could combine them all for myself.

Sometimes it's preferable, other times I can't stand it. The ROTJ SE is ridiculous, but whatever. Sometimes certain tracks don't sound right for one reason or another. I know some people had difficulty merging tracks from TOD on the Indy set because of the pitch or something. The segue into Hyperspace from Losing a Hand on the ESB SE is horrible. Hyperspace always sounded really weird to me there. I find myself constantly changing the volume levels especially when listening to ROTJ SE. Some cues are too soft and others are way too loud. I also prefer having a lot of cues separate, like Final Duel and the snow battle. I've always liked the breaks there. I agree with the opinion that the situation always varies when it comes to joined and split cues. I just hope that if the OT is ever re-done, there are more breaks than on the SE's.

Well, with TOD, pitch was indeed an issue, but that's relatively easy to correct. Then there were slight differences in sound quality that made the edits still noticeable. Still, it was possible to get pretty good results.

Actually, I've always found it pretty easy and obvious which cues to merge and which to leave as separate.

I don't let it depend at all on the length of the track, mostly (and perhaps that's the trick here). Some cues are obviously intended to flow into another cue, and both its ending and the beginning of the other one often don't make much sense (as a self-contained track & a listening experience) when keeping apart; lots of examples on the Indy and Star Wars films, e.g. Over the Himalayas & Slalom; Diamond Deal & Fast Streets.

But some cues, which are merged in the film, are much better when kept apart. I didn't mix Fast Streets of Shanghai into Over the Himalayas for instance, because I find it musically somewhat jarring (the ending of Fast Streets is perfect, and the up tempo beginning of the next cue, which is a perfectly fine opening in itself, ruins that).

For The Phantom Menace, the following cues are definitely meant to be merged together, just like in the film.

Star Wars Main Title

The Arrival

Gas Leak

Droid Fight

Queen Amidala

The Droid Invasion

Ya that's a lot of music right there, almost 10 minutes worth but I like hearing them flow naturally and not separate from each other.

Actually, I've always found it pretty easy and obvious which cues to merge and which to leave as separate.

I don't let it depend at all on the length of the track, mostly (and perhaps that's the trick here). Some cues are obviously intended to flow into another cue, and both its ending and the beginning of the other one often don't make much sense (as a self-contained track & a listening experience) when keeping apart; lots of examples on the Indy and Star Wars films, e.g. Over the Himalayas & Slalom; Diamond Deal & Fast Streets.

But some cues, which are merged in the film, are much better when kept apart. I didn't mix Fast Streets of Shanghai into Over the Himalayas for instance, because I find it musically somewhat jarring (the ending of Fast Streets is perfect, and the up tempo beginning of the next cue, which is a perfectly fine opening in itself, ruins that).

Right. If I was in charge of these things, I'd combine cues that were clearly MEANT to flow one into another... Diamond Deal into Fast Streets and Out Of Fuel into Slalom are perfect examples.

But sometimes even though cues overlap in the film, its just a soft start of one overlaying the fadeout of another and you don't NEED to combine them on CD. Fast Streets into Map is a good example of that, and so is Battle In The Snow into Luke's First Crash, and Luke's First Crash into The Rebels Escape Again

Bluntly put, I hate the 10-20 minute tracks on the Star Wars CDs.

There's no reason for the last track on disc 1 of Star Wars to be as long as it is. I split each alternate Main Title into its own track, separate from "Binary Sunset (alternate)", to be included in an alternate section.

The other long track is "The Battle of Yavin," which definitely needs to be as long as it is presented, because like in the film, it never lets up. Even the long silence towards the last third, when Biggs dies, is not necessarily an invitation to put a track split there, unless you like to listen from there to the end more than the first part. The consumer is ultimately responsible for editing what he/she wants to listen to.

There aren't too many more perfect action sequences in the history of either film scoring or cinema.

And while I don't like the long "Battle of Hoth" as a super track, the SE doesn't present the opportunities to split it up like the Anthology. If I want to hear it split, I listen to the Anthology. Really, it's the same with ROTJ. But I adore the ~15 minute "Carbon Freeze" track in its full glory.

There's no reason for the last track on disc 1 of Star Wars to be as long as it is. I split each alternate Main Title into its own track, separate from "Binary Sunset (alternate)", to be included in an alternate section.

The other long track is "The Battle of Yavin," which definitely needs to be as long as it is presented, because that's how it is in the film. Even the long silence towards the last third, when Biggs dies, is not necessarily an invitation to put a track split there, unless you like to listen from there to the end.

There aren't too many more perfect action sequences in the history of either film scoring or cinema.

Strongly disagree. While Launch From the Fourth Moon was clearly meant to lead directly into X-Wings Draw Fire (and they managed to botch that transition on the CD)..... Use The Force occurs MINUTES and MINUTES later in the film, after a lengthy unscored sequence. Should definitely be its own track.

Strongly disagree. While Launch From the Fourth Moon was clearly meant to lead directly into X-Wings Draw Fire (and they managed to botch that transition on the CD)..... Use The Force occurs MINUTES and MINUTES later in the film, after a lengthy unscored sequence. Should definitely be its own track.

Oh that's why the movie sequence is so much longer than the track on CD.

The consumer is ultimately responsible for editing what he/she wants to listen to.

And to date, I haven't noticed this botch, haven't watched the movie in at least 8 years, and otherwise generally haven't given a crap.

The other long track is "The Battle of Yavin," which definitely needs to be as long as it is presented, because that's how it is in the film. Even the long silence towards the last third, when Biggs dies, is not necessarily an invitation to put a track split there, unless you like to listen from there to the end.

Jay is right about the Battle Of Yavin cues, I made that correction for my edit.

anyway i think most of it depends on what you are more familiar with,

People who grew with the anthology tend to dislike the SE long cues, i on the other hand, how grew with the SEs, find the Anthology lacking (obvious...) but also 'splitted' and disjointed.

On the other hand i dont merge all of the indy box cues, just a few.

I'm not always a fan of excessively long tracks, but it really depends on the track itself. I like The Battle of Yavin the way it is because it's absolutely faithful to the film. The length of the track is exhausting in an exhilirating way, as is the scene in the film, so that when the Death Star goes, it's a brilliant sense of relief and a wonderful emotional climax. I'm not really bothered if it's separate cues or not, the listening experience is more important (although this is somewhat moot with gapless playback).

I did split the Battle of Hoth, though, as the pacing is totally suitable to splitting. Same with some of ROTJ. Then again, I grew up with the LP which follows up the main title with 'This Is No Cave', so it's all relative.

Minus the launching cue replacing the Tractor Beam/detention cell music, the Battle Of Yavin is presented the same way it was on the original Star Wars LP so I have no problem with it.

I haven't edited anything from the original trilogy. I'm fine with the job Mike Matessino and Nick Redmen did on the CDs.

But, I'm sure that Matessino wouldn't sequence the CDs the same way if he were to do them today as he did in 1997

From the main page:

SONY TO RELEASE EXPANDED PREQUEL SCORES

Thursday, 01 April 2010

PRESS RELEASE:

SONY CLASSICAL TO OFFER EXPANDED ALBUMS ON ITUNES - Launching with Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace

NEW YORK, Apr. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- In partnership with Apple Computers, Sony Classical will be launching a new line of downloadable albums. "The Signature Line", available in the high-resolution iTunes Plus format, will offer exciting extra material previously not available on conventional Compact Discs. The premiere release will be a brand new re-edited and remastered release of Sony's hit album, Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace.

"This is an exciting release for all music and Star Wars fans" said Phil Lirpa, Junior Vice President at Lucasfilm. "This new edition of 'The Phantom Menace' score would only fit on three Compact Discs, which isn't feasible to release in stores, but with Apple's iTunes we can get all of this music out there for everyone to enjoy and to remain in the catalog."

The album has been produced by John Williams.

To commemorate the launch of this new line, Sony Classical will be issuing 1500 limited edition three disc Compact Disc sets signed by composer John Williams. Available exclusively from starwars.com, this true "Signature Line" album will retail for $99.99 and will be available the same day as the iTunes album, Tuesday, April 20.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

RCA Red Seal, Sony Classical, deutsche harmonia mundi, Masterworks Broadway and Masterworks Jazz are labels of Sony Masterworks. For email updates and information regarding RCA Red Seal, Sony Classical, deutsche harmonia mundi, Masterworks Broadway and Masterworks Jazz artists, promotions, tours and repertoire, please visit www.sonymasterworks.com.

SOURCE Sony Classical

www.sonymasterworks.com

When I go to the site, I can't find this information anywhere.

What's April Fools got to do with it? This site has never stooped so low that it would put up deliberately false information just because it's a certain date.

Seeing as the original poster made this only post, I'd say it could be a possibility or just a case of spam and run.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down...

I would have preferred a Rick Roll honestly...

Seeing as the original poster made this only post, I'd say it could be a possibility or just a case of spam and run.

I'm beginning to think that too.

So was this entire thread started to set up the April Fool's Day hoax?

But the link is legitimate. I doubt Ricard would've made an entire blog site just to pass off a prank.

What? No no! I found the link and wanted to know if you guys knew anything. That's all! :(

But the link is legitimate. I doubt Ricard would've made an entire blog site just to pass off a prank.

Who's Ricard? And the blog has been updated!!! The news is confirmed!!! Yahooooooooo!!! :)

http://johnwilliamsstarwars.blogspot.com/2010/04/prequel-scores-confirmed.html

What? No no! I found the link and wanted to know if you guys knew anything. That's all! :(

Who's Ricard? And the blog has been updated!!! The news is confirmed!!! Yahooooooooo!!! :)

http://johnwilliamsstarwars.blogspot.com/2010/04/prequel-scores-confirmed.html

'my source' is a youtube video link.

I bet its some rickroll. :D

I do not believe this one bit. An elaborate April Fool's trick.

If it's not, I expect to see this on the front page tomorrow, but there's nothing on SONY's site, so it's most likely a hoax. SONY will probably not be doing it.

In any case, the entire TPM score WOULD fit on two CDs. We're not missing that much of it regardless, and to make it iTunes-only would be foolish.

And yes, that video 'source' is indeed a rickroll.

It's possible that Sebulba is a doppelganger for Ricard or another of our esteemed noble leaders. If it was meant to steamroll anticipation of the April Fool's Day fake announcement, that would make sense.

But if he just came across a bootleg tracklisting of a fanmade edit, which is what his link ultimately pointed to, and asked a sincere question, then Ricard just fed off of that hype to create the joke.

I would have rather seen a fake announcement come out of left field, like Hook or Family Plot, over something which has inspired a 5 page thread already.