Average composers who surprise you with a single outstanding score.

ChuckM

I'd hardly say The Patriot was Williams on autopilot. His score gave the movie all the emotions necessary.

Some of the underscore in the most boring parts of TPM and AOTC were more autopilot-y.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd add Monsignor to the list.

Hm, I wouldn't. It's not top tier Williams, but I never had the impression that he just wrote something to get it over with, and it has two standout tracks (although I've never been a big fan of the more famous of the two, Gloria).

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I'd hardly say The Patriot was Williams on autopilot. His score gave the movie all the emotions necessary.

You can do that on auto pilot. In fact, I'd argue that an auto pilot score is more likely to go directly for the "obvious" emotions than a more "intricate" score.

I must confess; I was totally shocked that John Powell composed something as great as HTTYD.

Nothing prepared me for it.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

know, right? Me? Liking Zimmer? Who'd of thought?!

20200905_144532.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Jimmy Webb is not really an average composer. He is a brillant songwriter. But I find his score for The Last Unicorn really remarkable, especially because seemed not to be a trained film composer at the time. Pretty much like Alan Menken at writing Arielle. And reflecting bis career he didn't so much scoring.