Celebrating 30 Years of Empire

Jacob

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's to The Empire striking back for another 30 years.

blogmillipede3-705694.jpg

Hate to break it to you mate, but they were defeated a mere three years later.

Yeah, right.

I suppose the next thing you're going to tell me is that they were brought down by a race of technologically inferior teddy bears. ;)

I still prefer the idea of the troops being a bunch of joes in the service of the Empire as opposed to clones of some guy that a Jedi ordered on the waterworld. I also find it hilarious just how needlessly complicated Lucas made that whole scenario. They aren't Jangos anyway since what stormtroopers we hear in the old movies have different, better voices. This movie has one of the best stormtrooper moments, when that guy nudges Lando in the freezing chamber (after Vader says they're going to test it on Han). Also look at their stance before they walk off with Vader. Perfect direction.

All I can say about The Empire Strikes Back......best Star Wars movie ever and "The Battle Of Hoth", best 14 and half minutes of music ever written.

I can't be quite so confident in either statement for myself, Trent, but I can say with utmost confidence that they are both incredibly strong contenders. Unbelievably good stuff.

Gosh, I can remember the last time I saw this movie in a theater.....oh yeah, it was Thursday night in Hollywood. ;)

Neil

2cpq1ia.jpg

As for the snow battle...yeah, most of us will rightfully agree it's completely amazing as most of JW's work from that era. For my money, the Adventure On Earth from E.T. is the greatest thing he's ever composed. I'd probably even rank The Last Battle from Star Wars ahead of the snow battle. However, it's a moot discussion. It's like when we had those polls a while back where Williams' greatest themes were all competing against each other or whatever that was all about. Either way, we win.

Gosh, I can remember the last time I saw this movie in a theater.....oh yeah, it was Thursday night in Hollywood. ;)

Neil

Ah, but which version? :)

TESB is my fondest memory of watching any film at the cinema . I went to see it about 15 times when it was released and transfixed by every minute of it

I'm surprised Neil didn't walk out, even though it was free. :P

I remember going to see all three SEs in '97, my only memories of the OT in the theater.

I only saw the 97' Special Editions in theaters. Empire originally came out a year before I was born and I'm sure my family saw the original version of Return Of The Jedi in theaters but I was too young to remember it. I'm happy to say that I have seen all six Star Wars films in theaters.

You crazy kids and your Special Editions. :P

Saw each of the OT during their initial releases. And a couple of the re-releases (pre-Special Edition, they used to bring movies back for "return engagements" before home video got huge).

Incredible memories.

OK, you kids continue.

I still prefer the idea of the troops being a bunch of joes in the service of the Empire as opposed to clones of some guy that a Jedi ordered on the waterworld. I also find it hilarious just how needlessly complicated Lucas made that whole scenario. They aren't Jangos anyway since what stormtroopers we hear in the old movies have different, better voices. This movie has one of the best stormtrooper moments, when that guy nudges Lando in the freezing chamber (after Vader says they're going to test it on Han). Also look at their stance before they walk off with Vader. Perfect direction.

That would work, but didn't Lucas go all revisionist on the classic trilogy, and give the stormtroopers and Boba Fett the voice of Jango?

I would think that over time, the Jango clones would degrade. And since the Empire controlled thousands of planets, there would be millions and millions of able-bodied human males in the right age bracket to enlist or be conscripted into the Imperial military and eventually become stormtroopers. Either way fosters pride in the Empire and keeps them away from seditious activities, unless we are supposed to believe that the Empire sent potential trooper recruits to labor camps. Clones created an army of stormtroopers for the Republic/Empire out of thin air for use in the Clone War, but would not sustain it for decades.

... didn't Lucas go all revisionist on the classic trilogy, and give the stormtroopers and Boba Fett the voice of Jango?

Boba, yes. Troopers, no (not yet at least).

I saw Star Wars and Jedi in theaters in '97.

All the prequels (Phantom Menace about 5 times).

Ironically I've never seen Empire on the big screen. :lol:

I saw all three SE's in theaters in '97 and was not disappointed. Despite a couple of hokey additions, the special editions improved the sound and image quality, and gave youngins like me who weren't alive in 1977 (I was born around the time ROTJ came out) a chance to see the films on the big screen. [Warning: controversial statement coming] To be honest, I like the SE ending of ROTJ better. In fact, I like the most recent revision the best (with the new Coruscant and Hayden Christensen - yes, I went there) because, for better or worse, it unites all six films and gives some continuity if you watch the films in chronological order. The original ending was cool, too.

[end of controversy]

Yay ESB! You rock!

I saw all three SE's in theaters in '97 and was not disappointed. Despite a couple of hokey additions, the special editions improved the sound and image quality, and gave youngins like me who weren't alive in 1977 (I was born around the time ROTJ came out) a chance to see the films on the big screen. [Warning: controversial statement coming] To be honest, I like the SE ending of ROTJ better. In fact, I like the most recent revision the best (with the new Coruscant and Hayden Christensen - yes, I went there) because, for better or worse, it unites all six films and gives some continuity if you watch the films in chronological order. The original ending was cool, too.

[end of controversy]

Yay ESB! You rock!

I am in the same boat...but with the ROTJ ending for Hayden Christensen...you deserve this icon...

:lol:

... didn't Lucas go all revisionist on the classic trilogy, and give the stormtroopers and Boba Fett the voice of Jango?

Ok good. I haven't seen any version of the classic trilogy modified after 1997. I own the SE's on full frame VHS and have theatrical versions on DVD that I strap to my ankles...

But there's something legendary about Jeremy Bulloch's voice for the character in Empire -- the way he interacts with Vader on the Executor and on Cloud City -- that would make me not want to watch a version without it.

Ok good. I haven't seen any version of the classic trilogy modified after 1997. I own the SE's on full frame VHS and have theatrical versions on DVD that I strap to my ankles...

But there's something legendary about Jeremy Bulloch's voice for the character in Empire -- the way he interacts with Vader on the Executor and on Cloud City -- that would make me not want to watch a version without it.

If I remember correctly it's not actually Jeremy Bulloch's voice, but I absolutely agree. Fett's original voice is so perfect for the character that I think added a lot to his popularity. The new one, well, sucks.

If I remember correctly it's not actually Jeremy Bulloch's voice, but I absolutely agree. Fett's original voice is so perfect for the character that I think added a lot to his popularity. The new one, well, sucks.

You are correct. I didn't read far enough into the Wikipedia article on Boba Fett. Jason Wingreen -- Harry Snowden on All in the Family -- voiced Boba Fett for the versions of TESB before he was replaced Temuera Morrison's voice for Jango.

I like temuera morrison's voice.

There's nothing wrong with his voice, but there was also nothing wrong with the original voice of Boba Fett.

I mean, if whiny tenor Hayden Christiansen can be hooked to a voice box to gain the wonderful basso of James Earl Jones, why can't Boba Fett have a similar talk box? Why would his in-helmet voice need to be the same as out-of-the-helmet Temuera Morrison?

But there's something legendary about [Harry Snowden]'s voice for the character in Empire -- the way he interacts with Vader on the Executor and on Cloud City -- that would make me not want to watch a version without it.

I'm generally positive or indifferent regarding the SEs, but Fett's original voice is definitely one element I wish remained untouched. It just doesn't feel right.

I like temuera morrison's voice.

There's nothing wrong with his voice, but there was also nothing wrong with the original voice of Boba Fett.

I mean, if whiny tenor Hayden Christiansen can be hooked to a voice box to gain the wonderful basso of James Earl Jones, why can't Boba Fett have a similar talk box? Why would his in-helmet voice need to be the same as out-of-the-helmet Temuera Morrison?

because the in-helmets voices of the clones and jango sound like temuera morrison too :lol:

because the in-helmets voices of the clones and jango sound like temuera morrison too :lol:

I was implying that Boba Fett could have modified his helmet somehow to give himself a different voice. Sure, he might run into associates who remembered his "father" and the similar voice would throw them, but certainly by the time Boba comes to prominence, the galaxy is familiar with the voice of the Republic clonetrooper and early Imperial stormtroopers. Which would be legitimate since we never see Boba Fett without his helmet.

But alas, Lucas would have rather messed with the movies. It's another reason I'm boycotting the post 97 edits.

The Clone Wars cartoon TV series doesn't count, and neither will any live action series they make. They'll be a poor substitute for the movies, or at least the good ones.

The original Boba Fett voice was awesome for all 4-5 lines he delivered. I also accepted it as a kind of Darth Vader/Leia Boushh voice box thing. He sounds like such a Boy Scout in the new version when he says "As you wish."