Raise Your Hand

BLUMENKOHL

Raise Your Hand  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If you believe Hedwig's Theme trumps the Star Wars Main Titles

• I raise my hand proudly!
    • I would rather chop my hand off!

and another thread turns into a random Prequel bashing fest

It started with the suggested stupid idea that it the duel in Star Wars was lame, so it actually started with OT bashing. Yeah it's really sad they couldn't replace Alec Guinness with CGI on those days. If only the OT had more CGI Terminators twirling four sabers at the same time, cause that really makes for good action and drama! :P

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because it's totally OT bashing to claim that that one element of one type of scene in some of the OT is inferior to one element of one type of scene in some of the PT. :rolleyes: I'm digging the CGI strawman, too.

It is when it's completely false, the Star Wars duel is superior to any prequel duel, because it's real, not an acrobatic dance and because it's about something, it's about revenge and sacrifice not like in the prequels where it is "oh, you're the bad guy for this movie right?, guess we'll have to fight, so how many sabers can you twirl at the same time?"

Wait, just gotta make sure I understand this properly - any criticism of any aspect of any part of any of the original films, even when tempered by considerable love for every other aspect of said film, is OT bashing if you disagree with it? Mk, duly noted.

From my point of view (a certain point of view), it wasn't the argument in question, it's that KM immediately accused everyone of prequel bashing when we were legitimately responding to a debate that had been raised. A hyperbolic statement deserved a hyperbolic response. That was my point anyway.

Maybe there should just be one big SW debate thread.

No, the OT has flaws, you can bash the Ewoks for example, you could say that Luke's behaivor is a bit strange in SW, the duel however is not one of those flaws, and even if it was so lame, there's no way the Prequel ones are better.

I never thought I'd say this, but from a post-prequel standpoint, Vader and Ben's duel actually makes wonderful sense. Kenobi knows he should have killed Vader when he had the chance. The shock of seeing what his apprentice had become and done had been too much for him to actually kill the dismembered torso on Mustafar, but Kenobi spent twenty years with that shock turning to grief and regret as Vader killed millions under the banner of the Empire. And Vader spent much of that time searching for Kenobi, to satisfy the personal vendetta from his loss of limbs as well as knowing Kenobi to be a key to find other hidden Jedi.

And so after twenty years of searching, Obi-Wan Kenobi willingly shows up in the last place Vader ever thought he would find him: the Death Star. Exposed on an Imperial battle station, not hiding under some distant rock. This piques Vader's curiosity. What is Kenobi doing there? What's he hiding? He came with passengers, who are they and why did he risk his life to deactivate the tractor beam? These questions cloud Vader's brain and prevent him from killing Obi-Wan outright, and as Kenobi taunts him, Vader becomes more curious and more frustrated. And since Kenobi won't give up his secrets, Vader attempts to finally cut his old teacher down, but only sends him to the astral plane of Force consciousness.

Wow. Nice read Wojo, thanks for that.

The rotating lazer doors are actually one of the good things about TPM. They make for a great suspense device.

Except that Obi Wan should have been able to force-sprint through them. It seems Jedi can only do that when it's least convenient.

The rotating lazer doors are actually one of the good things about TPM. They make for a great suspense device.

Except that Obi Wan should have been able to force-sprint through them. It seems Jedi can only do that when it's least convenient.

It's all because he did the twirly thing with his lightsaber. Flashy bastard.

It's all because he did the twirly thing with his lightsaber. Flashy bastard.

I must admit that I wasn't paying attention at the beginning of the movie, when QGJ and Obi-Wan Force run away from the droids off the right edge of the screen, or I just never thought that was important. They left this group of droids to go fight another.

But the reason that Obi-Wan doesn't run through the laser doors is because the script wouldn't let him. Contrived manufactured storytelling. The Jedi had to be separated so that Darth Maul could kill QGJ.

Now how would Lucas explain it? He would give some lame ass excuse that Obi-Wan mentally calculated the distance he would have to cover, the acceleration required, and the distance needed to keep him from sailing into the bottomless ravine. And the doors would be in his way of slowing down, which would either block him on both sides or slice him into pieces. Though jumping clear to the other side to flank Maul would have been so sweet.

This is another reason the duel in TPM is so ridiculous. What does a pastoral planet like Naboo need with a massive out-of-place power generation station that serves as the setting for the duel? Why do the light tubes extend forever in both directions? Why are there laser doors? Where's the failsafe switch to open them?

I know, IT LOOKS COOL. Sorry, George, a gold-dipped turd still smells like shit.

In all fairness, some of the ESB and ROTJ duel locations are slightly silly and random, too. Why does each one need a huge, bottomless pit? Well, so that Luke and the Emperor will have somewhere to fall. That simple. But two wrongs don't make a right; I'm not trying to justify the ridiculous (if visually enticing) setting in TPM. Just pointing out another minor chink in the otherwise VERY strong armor of the original trilogy.

For chris sake. critisize the plot, acting, directing, etc of the prequels...

But not this, because the OT is also plagued with convenient cool plot devices.

Tractor beam, Death star ventilation shaft...

On any given day I could tell you that either the Main Titles from Superman, Raiders march, "Flying from E.T., Star Wars Main Title, "Princess Leia's Theme", Main Titles from The Towering Inferno, "Love Theme from Superman, Theme from Jaws and "The Love Theme" from Jane Eyre is Williams' best.