Midi files Lord Of the Rings

Jango Fett

Yesterday somebody came to me and asked me if there were any midifiles of Lord of the rings, composed by Howard Shore.

I've done some research but yet again I came up empty. Does anybody has a clue if they exist :?

If they do were can I find them??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently working on trying to transcribe parts of the FOTR score for full orchestra. A few of things though:

1) I am not just taking this music out of the book. The book serves as an aid, but I still need to figure out a lot of things by myself, including orchestration and tracks not in the book.

2) This takes time, lots of time. I have just started.

3) I do not have the lyrics for the most part. I will not attempt to transcribe the lyrics I don't have, yet will keep the notes listed as "wordless choir".

4) I will make these available as MIDI files but only if you email me. I will not post these online. Sorry.

5) Which tracks would you like first? I am currently working on The Prophecy and Concerning Hobbits. Flight to the Ford and Breaking of the Fellowship are also high on my list.

6) I can only transcribe the tracks on the soundtrack CD. I cannot transcribe other musical elements from the movie not on there, nor music from the extended cut unless someone tells me how to isolate and rip a music track from the DVD.

That's all. Will keep you posted. Let me know if you're interested.

Wow jsawruk

Please take your time. I've tried to make midifiles on my own so I know how much work it involves especially when you don't have to found things out on your own.

But than again I'm not that musically gifted!

I'll send you an e-mail via your website.

KraMB - who is really interested

3) I do not have the lyrics for the most part. I will not attempt to transcribe the lyrics I don't have, yet will keep the notes listed as "wordless choir".

Some text you can find in the booklet included with the CD. Mine versions has, I don't know about yours

4) I will make these available as MIDI files but only if you email me. I will not post these online. Sorry.

That doesn't mind I'll send you a mail

5) Which tracks would you like first? I am currently working on The Prophecy and Concerning Hobbits. Flight to the Ford and Breaking of the Fellowship are also high on my list.

I especially like the prophecy, but also the bridhe of Khazad Dum

6) I can only transcribe the tracks on the soundtrack CD. I cannot transcribe other musical elements from the movie not on there, nor music from the extended cut unless someone tells me how to isolate and rip a music track from the DVD.

There is in fact a thread on that at:

http://www.jwfan.net/modules.php?op=modloa...iewtopic&t=1916

KraMB - :) The passage of the Marches TTT

I'm all for other transcriptions as well. I have started most of episode II, and would like to do TTT when I get it and maybe some others. Again, it takes time. I'd say a 3 min track could easily take a month to transcribe unless I worked very hard at it!

• 3 weeks later...

I have started my first serious transcription since I did episode II. "Foundations of Stone", off of the Two Towers. I currenly have about 30 seconds worked out.

I cannot get a good tam-tam sound on my synth, so that part will not be in the MIDI file.

If I can keep this rate up, I might have it done in two weeks. I'm just lucky that it starts out fairly light in texture. Thankfully, the rest of it uses some ostinato, which always helps!

never mind. i believe it is two sets of eighth notes as triplets starting on the second note of the first triplet. not a set of 5 eighth notes barred together.

Stefancos- who's been looking for a LOTR ringtone for ages.

If you give me your cellphone number, Steffy, I might be able to send you that ringtone.

That is if you've got a Nokia, of course!

-ROSS, who has cool ringtones: Imperial March, Futurama Theme, Coca-Cola Jingle and CE3K Motif.

hey hey wait a min. what about me!!!

Why can't i compose on my 3360???? am I missing things????? I don't want to have to BUY my favorite ring tone when i can compose it myself!

Huh. That's weird. I know I can compose on my Nokia 3330.

Are you sure you've checked the "Tones" menu thoroughly?

-ROSS, who knows cellphone technology in the US is years behind Europe.

Umm, let's see, in the Tones Menu you're supposed to get the following sub-menus:

1. Ringing Tone

2. Ringing Volume

3. Incoming Call Alert

4. COMPOSER

5. Message Alter Tone

6. Keypad Tones

7. Warning Tones

8. Vibrating Alert

9. Screensaver

It would shock me if you didn't because your cellphone is more advanced than mine, at least according to their number (mine's 3330 and yours 3360)

-ROSS

and under profiles it has like normal, silent, outdoor, pager etc.

I select normal and customize, I get

ringing options,

tone

volume

vibrating alert

message alert

keypad tones

warning tones

ringing options

and i checked in all of those for a COMPOSER word and nada.

Here's the themes from FOTR I transcribed. Should help. Hobbit theme is a pain because of all the ornamentation, so its only 98% accurate at best.

If you like this, I may do this for other scores as well. I'd like to have a library of JW themes in music notation online...

Do people want me to do this for other films as well (by any composer, but JW with a priority of course 8O )? I haven't heard any feedback good or bad about this...

Looks great, but how a shame I cannot read notes.

Ren, if you ever manage to find out how to compose on your phone, could you please lemme know how to punch in the Fellowship Theme on a Nokia.

Stefancos- who NEEDS that theme on his mobile.

ren, just to help out, here's how I found the COMPOSER funtion on my phone. (Nokia 3310)

Goto TONES.

Then i have the following options:

Ringing Tone

Ringing Volume

Incoming Call Alert

Composer (obviously, this is the one you want)

Message Alert Tone

Keypad Tones

Warning Tones

Vibrating Alert (does it really do for a women what I heard it does?)

Screen Saver

Stefancos- hopes this helps.

I have a Nokia 3390, it has COMPOSER too.

I access mine throught main menu.

TO REN:

Do you have anything else besides Profiles under Main menu,

It says on the nokiausa site that you can have Composer using PC suite??

Maybe it's a separate feature.

My main problem is the notation composing:

the legato? What is the term for a tie of two notes that are different, not the same....is it legato?

Sorry I forgot my music theory..... :oops:

Jsawruk: good job!! :angry:

Stefan thanks for your help and I will continue to try to find the composer function. When I do I'll gladly help

Kradia.....

You said: TO REN:

Do you have anything else besides Profiles under Main menu,

It says on the nokiausa site that you can have Composer using PC suite??

Maybe it's a separate feature.

i'm going there now to look it up. that might be why i can't find the word COMPOSER on my phone at all.

about your music question. . .are you talking of a slur?

Do people want me to do this for other films as well (by any composer, but JW with a priority of course  :angry: )? I haven't heard any feedback good or bad about this...

I find it interesting, and it would be helpful when trying to play the themes on my trumpet.

Ray Barnsbury

I love to transcribe songs in to MIDIs, I know all the MIDI tricks to make it realistic, but it takes sooo much time. I think it would be a fun project to transcribe a soundtrack, but I got so many composition assignments to do as it is. :confused: I'd love to join in and help, but oh well. Just let everyone know of your progress and when you finally finish. Good luck! :angry:

Stefancos, do you still need the translation to input LOTR ringtone or do you have it now?

Which way do you want,

the regular Nokia code, or "punch in the numbers/symbols only" code?

Ren,

I checked the http://www.nokiahowto.com/ and it looks like you can get composer only if you have the infrared function and PC suite.

Do you have those features on your phone?

Stefancos, do you want someone to send it to you or post the translation here?

I think I can post if Jsawruk will let me use his transcription as a basis.

C Major

or I can just use the sheet music that I have already..... D major

:):):):|

Please post them here Kradia, so others can use them too.

I already have a nice Ringtone of The Fellowship theme. (Thanx Mr Alfonso)

But i'd like some of the others as well, so I can program my phone to use different ringtones for different callers (Frodo's theme for my girlfriend, Mordor Theme for my suster, that kinda thing) :)

As for the code type, i'm not sure what type i used for the Fellowship Theme, but it wen't a little something like this.

8a1 4.d2 4c2 16c2 16c2 2d2 8- 16g2 16a2 4a#2 16a2 16g2 4f2 16g2 16a2 4.g2 4f2 8e2 4.d2 4c2 16c2 16c2 2d2 8- 16g2 16a2 4a#2 16a2 16g2 4f2 8g2 4.a2 4e2

Hope you can help.

Stefancos- :)

i just found out that you can download pc suite for free, and i have infrared, BUT where do i get an

infrared port on your desktop PC or laptop computer

I have the PC suite and have composed some tones, would be willing to do others for the members and email them to you. . . .BUT have no infrared device in the computer. . .no clue where to get one.

To Stefancos

8a1 4.d2 4c2 16c2 16c2..............

Mr. Alfonso did a good job, by the way ROTFLMAO

This,above, is the regular way to write Nokia code.

Another way to write is the number code.

For example: Let's use the song "Mary had a little lamb".

Standard Nokia Code: 4e1 4d1 4c1 4d1 4e1 4e1 4e1

Number code: 3 2 1 2 3 3 3

You still get the same song, it's just a different way to write it.

Both codes have their good/bad points.

You had said that you didn't know how to read notes, so I just wanted to let you know of that other option.

I think I can do Frodo's theme (or someone else can do it).......i'll post it later...

What is the Mordor theme?

what phones do you have that you can just type in the code?????

i found out that i can't do it PERIOD because my computer doesn't have an infrared port built in - you can't buy them. and my phone doesn't accept a data cable.

Here's a rough version of Frodo's theme:

Standard Nokia Code:

8d1 8e1 4#f1 4a1 4#f1 4e1 2d1 4- 8#f1 8a1 4b1 4d2 4#c2 4a1 2#f1 4e1 8d1 8e1 4#f1 4a1 4#f1 4e1 2d1 8- 8#f1 8a1 2.b1 8b1 8a1 8#f1 2e1

Tempo: 80-100

Hope you like it

Thankx Kradia, i'll try that out ASAP.

BTW, with the Mordor Theme i'm talking about that theme associated with Sauron and Barad Dur.

Stefancos- who thinks that menacing paganistic theme could make a heck of a ringtone. :)