The Poseidon Adventure by John Williams

Jay

Ordered without the shadow of a doubt.

I suspect we might see also The Towering Inferno re-released with better sound sometime in the near future.

Let's hope so man, fingers crossed! ......maybe Earthquake also <_<

and Dracula complete .....and The Screaming Woman which is magnificent!

This is a good release. Not just the musical content, but that a superior stereo expanded version of a long sold out limited edition from another label is being issued by La La Land. I hope we see more.

Is this unreleased music also underscore?

Could explain why I always thought the Johnny Boy boot didn't match up to the FSM release but I never looked into it in any detail

It's a good release, but still only something we already had except better sounding. I'd still rather get something totally new like Family Plot or a post 1977 expanded score

I already have a shipping notice

Wonder how long this will linger for. I passed on it for now, just because I've been spending way too much lately on CDs.

I bet I'll be around for a long time

FSM poster comment:

"YUK!!! YUK!!! horrible news Poseidon adventure by John Williams has to be the worst score wriiten by him... i have the LP and i did'nt like it that much....

Wish they had released something by Jerry Goldsmith"

FSM poster comment:

"YUK!!! YUK!!! horrible news Poseidon adventure by John Williams has to be the worst score wriiten by him... i have the LP and i did'nt like it that much....

Yeah, but did you read the replies ...most say that there wasn't an LP release, so this idiot is just a faking bullshitter, a little lonely and just seeking the company of men, poor chap.

Although I thought there was a Japanese LP?

Wonder how long this will linger for. I passed on it for now, just because I've been spending way too much lately on CDs.

It's becoming harder for me to stay behind all these great releases. Also, SAE now requests an additional postage cost of $15 for people like me who lives in Italy, due to the fact our post service sucks hard and frequently doesn't deliver packages from overseas.

From now on, I have to be very careful about the stuff I want.

Maybe he was just mocking what's a common reaction there

You can't let stuff like that bother you man, it just isn't worth it.

Although it's not exactly as if you're thrilled about this release <_<

I honestly couldn't be happier, I have the FSM version but this is a dream release for me and I can now stop hunting for the alternate main titles.

I'm half thrilled half disappointed it's not something else . Ok we just got Black Sunday ,maybe expecting Family Plot is too much so i guess re-mastered stuff is more realistic

You knew alternate main titles existed?...I didn;t even know that

This is one score I'm skipping on. The movie is before my time, never saw it or even heard about it until I started visiting this board. All I want right now is Independence Day.

you should at least listen to the main titles clip...

althought for those people who still have big gaps in their Williams collections I don;t recommend getting this one first

I'm half thrilled half disappointed it's not something else . Ok we just got Black Sunday ,maybe expecting Family Plot is too much so i guess re-mastered stuff is more realistic

No, I'm sure Family Plot must be somewhere on the horizon.

I know the leaked score doesn't make it a certainty but at least it's enough to keep the flame of hope burning.

My grail is 'The Screaming Woman', I've saw the film and have the audio rip from it but I think the music is amazing, it's almost a companion score to 'Images'.

This would be a jaw dropping release for me.

Yes but I didn't know there were two!! <_<

I am not sure about this one. I wasn't all that impressed with Black Sunday after it showed up. It has been decades since I have seen The Poseidon Adventure and the samples haven't won me over (yet).

When one have the original sheet score then you know <_<

I'm gald we got the alternate main titles too!

This is fantastic news!!!! I'm double dipping on this one, I have the FSM release.

I've desperately wanted this score in stereo, especially for the end titles. A powerful cue by Williams.

A little ironic that this gets released the same day as ID4, from a musical standpoint. <_<

This is fantastic news!!!! I'm double dipping on this one, I have the FSM release.

I've desperately wanted this score in stereo, especially for the end titles. A powerful cue by Williams.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17656&view=findpost&p=623959

Looks like we both got our wish ;)

A little ironic that this gets released the same day as ID4, from a musical standpoint. ;)

Somebody from La La Land said this was purposeful move.

P.S. - Well done at the concert Mark! John has explained what went down, fantastic!

FSM poster comment:

Yeah, but did you read the replies ...most say that there wasn't an LP release, so this idiot is just a faking bullshitter, a little lonely and just seeking the company of men, poor chap.

Although I thought there was a Japanese LP?

There was an offical Japanese L.P., but it was so limited that it might as well have not been released at all! Anyone who tells you that they have the Japanese L.P., is either VERY, VERY lucky, or is so full of bullshit it will take them 3 weeks just to pinch a loaf. They probably have a bootleg L.P, rather like the "The Cowboys" L.P., which came out a few years back.

As to how the stereo mixes came to be: if I'm right, the music was recorded in stereo, and transferred to the 35mm negative in stereo. This was then projected in mono (rather like a stereo L.P. played on a mono record player). I'm not sure if the film was "roadshow"ed in stereo, but the stereo transfer remained intact. Mono back-ups were used for the FSM, and, I assume, the Johnny Boy c.d.s.

The reigon 2 d.v.d. has the score in stereo.

I sailvate at the thought of a Pro-Tools re-mixed "The Towering Inferno".

"Earthquake", "The Eiger Sanction", and "Dracula" would probably come from Varese Sarabande, so don't hold your breath...

Can anyone tell me what "The Screamimg Woman" is?

"Earthquake", "The Eiger Sanction", and "Dracula" would probably come from Varese Sarabande, so don't hold your breath...

I'd rather Varese sold the rights to some of their scores to someone else, as 15 or so scores a year doesn't allow for much.

This was an easy pass for me. I'm sticking by my rule of only buying LE's that either I'm familiar with, or are from the right genre and period. There's no point in buying every big, 'raved about' release just for the sake of it. No one can possibly listen to everything.

I bought this yesterday as soon as the site went live with ID4. I bought it completely blind!

I've never seen the movie, never heard a note of the score - not even a re-recording. I have no idea if I'll like it or not, though I'm sure I'll find something to like as I do with every Williams score.

You won't regret it. Main theme is good (I like it better than Towering Inferno's theme), and the rest of the score builds up to the two last tracks, which are really classic Williams. I can't wait to hear those in better sound quality!

No, I'm sure Family Plot must be somewhere on the horizon.

I know the leaked score doesn't make it a certainty but at least it's enough to keep the flame of hope burning.

My grail is 'The Screaming Woman', I've saw the film and have the audio rip from it but I think the music is amazing, it's almost a companion score to 'Images'.

This would be a jaw dropping release for me.

Yep, The Screaming Woman would be absolutely great to have.

The majority of the most-requested Williams' titles are under the Universal catalogue, including Family Plot, Dracula, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Jaws 2 and The Screaming Woman. I think we might see some of them from Varèse and Intrada, as both labels already released several titles from the Universal catalogue.

There was an offical Japanese L.P., but it was so limited that it might as well have not been released at all! Anyone who tells you that they have the Japanese L.P., is either VERY, VERY lucky, or is so full of bullshit it will take them 3 weeks just to pinch a loaf. They probably have a bootleg L.P, rather like the "The Cowboys" L.P., which came out a few years back.

Thanks for the LP info Richard ;)

Yeah, I'm sure the poster at FSM is definitely in the bullshit category!

As to how the stereo mixes came to be: if I'm right, the music was recorded in stereo, and transferred to the 35mm negative in stereo. This was then projected in mono (rather like a stereo L.P. played on a mono record player). I'm not sure if the film was "roadshow"ed in stereo, but the stereo transfer remained intact. Mono back-ups were used for the FSM, and, I assume, the Johnny Boy c.d.s.

The reigon 2 d.v.d. has the score in stereo.

I just checked my DVDs and the Region 1 Special Edition, The Poseidon Adventure also has stereo audio and the Region 1 Special Edition, The Towering Inferno has 4.0 Dolby Surround.

I sailvate at the thought of a Pro-Tools re-mixed "The Towering Inferno".

Yeah me too man, it would indeed be a day deserving of dance and celebration!

Here is a link to it on YouTube, the music starts around 4.40

I think it's a wonderful score but I can only imagine the cries of agony and disappointment if this were released in favour of something else.

Then again, I'm suprised at how many people think of The Poseidon Adventure as mainly just dark, untuneful underscore ....

Check it out anyway, see what you think ;)

Here is a link to it on YouTube, the music starts around 4.40

I think it's a wonderful score but I can only imagine the cries of agony and disappointment if this were released in favour of something else.

There are better-looking versions of portions of this movie on YouTube:

(includes the main title cue)

Pt. 2

Pt. 3 (includes the finale and the end credits)

It's quite a modernistic score (Williams once defined it as "my only atonal score"). There are reminiscences of Images, as other have pointed out. But it also has some very '70s Williams touches you can find in scores like The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure.

Let's hope one of the labels will release it on CD.

Thanks for that, Maurizio.

Indeed. I just discovered that there is also a 10 minute suite from John Williams' Storia Di Una Donna (1970) score on YouTube, but I'm not sure whether it's legit.

Anyone knows?:

Thanks for that, Maurizio.

Indeed. I just discovered that there is also a 10 minute suite from John Williams' Storia Di Una Donna (1970) score on YouTube, but I'm not sure whether it's legit.

Anyone knows?:

Yes, it is legit! And there is The Plainsman Suite too:

There are better-looking versions of portions of this movie on YouTube:

(includes the main title cue)

Pt. 2

Pt. 3 (includes the finale and the end credits)

It's quite a modernistic score (Williams once defined it as "my only atonal score"). There are reminiscences of Images, as other have pointed out. But it also has some very '70s Williams touches you can find in scores like The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure.

Let's hope one of the labels will release it on CD.

Thanks for the other links Maurizio, much better quality :)

It certainly does have some of those '70s Williams touches like you mentioned, the strings are amazing!

If only I could stop that woman screaming .......but then again, I guess it's called 'The Screamimg Woman' for a reason :P

This really needs an official release and I could certainly see this score immediately entering my top 10.

I think I like this guy's cover better. It still allows the "star" of the cover to be the giant splash of water, and doesn't cut Borgnine and Hackman out of the poster.

I thought The Poseidon Adventure orders were all ready shipping? I thought I read that some guys on FSM all ready got their copies. ID-4 is definitely shipping out on Tuesday.

I got a shipping confirmation e-mail just after I ordered it. Like a complimentary "your order has shipped" thing, but no tracking number so kinda sketchy.

Edit: nevermind, new e-mail with tracking thing. So it is coming.

If you ordered both discs together, from LaLaLand, you should have received and order confirmation with a link to your order. It should say "order on hold".

If you ordered the PA seperately then it should have already shipped to you.

I got mine in the mail yesterday...NOT complaining of course, but isn't that a littler earlier than they were supposed to ship? Well no problem of course, I've been having a listen today. The quality is great! This isn't exactly my favorite score, but I do enjoy it a bit. Also happy to buy some non-favorites once in a while so that the film score companies will continue releasing these projects. It's also interesting to listen to this era of Williams' music from a historical standpoint...even though this isn't his first mostly-symphonic score, it's interesting to hear how his craft was changing. Fun album....thanks LLL!

If you ordered both discs together, from LaLaLand, you should have received and order confirmation with a link to your order. It should say "order on hold".

If you ordered the PA seperately then it should have already shipped to you.

Actually I think MV posted on that matter on FSM, saying that all Poseidon Adventure orders were going out, regardless if you ordered it with ID-4. If you ordered it with ID-4 your card shouldn't be charged until ID-4 ships.

Actually I think MV posted on that matter on FSM, saying that all Poseidon Adventure orders were going out, regardless if you ordered it with ID-4. If you ordered it with ID-4 your card shouldn't be charged until ID-4 ships.

This is what MV said on the FSM message board:

We just got in Poseidon cds. If anyone ordered this cd without ordering ID4 we are processing your orders now and will be shipping Poseidon off asap.

MV