Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

I know we have a thread for LOST, but I've noticed that there's usually more discussion about the music itself in other threads. I think there are some people who don't watch the show live and are catching up on DVD, or who avoid the main LOST thread due to spoiler concerns. So I thought a separate thread to discuss the music would be appropriate. If the mods feel otherwise, feel free to merge.

I'd like to kick things off with the cover art AND track listing for the Season 5 OST! Enjoy!

http://www.varesesarabande.com/assets/product_images/lg/vsd-302-067-025-2.jpg

http://www.varesesarabande.com/assets/product_images/md/vsd-302-067-025-2.jpg

1. Making Up For Lost Time

2. The Swinging Bendulum

3. Locke's Excellent Adventure

4. The Science Of Faith

5. More Locke Than Locke

6. Together Or Not Together

7. Through The Window

8. Dharma Delinquent

9. La Fleur

10. Crash And Yearn

11. Your Kharma Hit my Dharma

12. Alex In Chains

13. I Hear Dead People

14. For Love Of The Dame

15. Follow The Leader

16. Sawyer Jones And The Temple Of Boom

17. The Tangled Web

18. Dharma Disaster

19. Blessings And Bombs

20. Jack's Swan Song

21. Dharma Vs. Lostaways

22. The Incident

23. Jacob's Stabber

I think you're right Maurizio

Here's the times as best as I could tell from the blurry image

1. Making Up For Lost Time 3:21

2. The Swinging Bendulum 5:43

3. Locke's Excellent Adventure 4:04

4. The Science Of Faith 3:49

5. More Locke Than Locke 3:13

6. Together Or Not Together 4:02

7. Through The Window 2:01

8. Dharma Delinquent 1:50

9. La Fleur 2:36

10. Crash And Yearn 2:28

11. Your Kharma Hit my Dharma 1:34

12. Alex In Chains 1:28

13. I Hear Dead People 1:12

14. For Love Of The Dame 3:17

15. Follow The Leader 1:50

16. Sawyer Jones And The Temple Of Boom 5:14

17. The Tangled Web 1:47

18. Dharma Disaster 3:17

19. Blessings And Bombs 1:30

20. Jack's Swan Song 3:15

21. Dharma Vs. Lostaways 4:22

22. The Incident 2:01

23. Jacob's Stabber 1:32

My new favorite Giacchino track title: "Through the Window." Epic ESB cue title reference. Mr. Giacchino, I bow before you. :lol:

Also, very attractive package design...probably the best-looking Lost soundtrack so far! I absolutely cannot wait to listen to this thing.

And lastly, I think I mentioned this to you, Jason, but I'll say it again for everyone's benefit - once the show is over and I've had time to really absorb and study the music of the last season or two, I'm going to put together a complete "Major Themes of LOST" PDF with descriptions and sheet music examples.

I really hope the entire prologue Incident music is on there. That was longer than 2 minutes, or not? While I love the Jacob's theme statement and the climax of the prologue, I seem to remember there's a dark pluck of some stringed (or other) instrument as MiB reveals his dark intentions, that I've found really chilling. And awesome. Did I mention I want this prologue music the most?

Anyone want to take an initial stab at which episode each track is from? And what themes it could possibly contain?

"Locke's Excellent Adventure" wins the internet.

EDIT: Also, thanks for splitting this off into a separate thread. I don't care much for the live episode discussion, but was waiting on pins and needles for the soundtrack info to hit.

I really hope the entire prologue Incident music is on there. That was longer than 2 minutes, or not? While I love the Jacob's theme statement and the climax of the prologue, I seem to remember there's a dark pluck of some stringed (or other) instrument as MiB reveals his dark intentions, that I've found really chilling. And awesome. Did I mention I want this prologue music the most?

The prologue scene was definitely longer than 1:47. Its really hard to read that image though - it could be 7:47 for all we know!

It's 1:47, and the prologue was only about 4 or 5 minutes (as usual). The music was definitely not playing the whole time. Honestly, it makes more sense to release Jacob's theme and all its variations on the Season 6 OST.

Those track titles just friggin' rule. :lol: The funniest ones yet.

My guess Jacob's theme will be in "The Tangled Web". This should be the cue that underscores the Season Finale opening.

That's my guess. The time looks about right and it would be an appropriate place to put it on the album.

It's 1:47, and the prologue was only about 4 or 5 minutes (as usual). The music was definitely not playing the whole time. Honestly, it makes more sense to release Jacob's theme and all its variations on the Season 6 OST.

Well, it's definitely going to show up in "Jacob's Stabber".

Well Giacchino's music editor has gone an extra mile to make the track titles funny and witty this season. :P

Looks promising and I add my voice to the choir of those wanting both Jacob's theme renditions from the season finale.

Oh and here are the track titles with correct times from the Varese site:

Track List:

1. Making Up For Lost Time (3:23)

2. The Swinging Bendulum (5:43)

3. Locke’s Excellent Adventure (4:01)

4. The Science Of Faith (2:19)

5. More Locke Than Locke (3:13)

6. Together Or Not Together (4:02)

7. Through The Window (2:07)

8. Dharma Delinquent (1:51)

9. La Fleur (2:36)

10. Crash And Yearn (2:28)

11. Your Kharma Hit My Dharma (2:05)

12. Alex In Chains (1:35)

13. I Hear Dead People (1:52)

14. For Love Of The Dame (3:17)

15. Follow The Leader (7:50)

16. Sawyer Jones And The Temple Of Boom (5:14)

17. The Tangled Web (1:41)

18. Dharma Disaster (5:17)

19. Blessings And Bombs (1:30)

20. Jack’s Swan Song (1:15)

21. Dharma vs. Lostaways (4:23)

22. The Incident (3:07)

23. Jacob’s Stabber (7:32)

YAY! Looks like 78 minutes of music!

Here is the link to the Varese site as well: Link

And it will be pretty cool to examine the music of the entire series once we get the final season's disc in the future (hopefully soon). That one will be shock full of goodness. :)

"The Tangled Web" is the most obvious track where to find the cue used in the Season Finale opening. It accompanies Jacob while making a thread, so the play on words would make sense. And from what I remember the cue was roughly 2 minutes long. I'll check later.

This stuck out as odd to me. The scenes concerning "the incident" took up a lot of screen time, while that final scene with F-Locke/Jacob/Ben is nowhere near 7 1/2 minutes long

"The Tangled Web" is the most obvious track where to find the cue used in the Season Finale opening. It accompanies Jacob while making a thread, so the play on words would make sense. And from what I remember the cue was roughly 2 minutes long. I'll check later.

From what I remember, the episode opens with score, underscoring Jacob making the tapestry... then there's no much for a lot of their beach conversation, then there's a second cue towards the end of their conversation leading into the main title. I could be remembering wrong though

This stuck out as odd to me. The scenes concerning "the incident" took up a lot of screen time, while that final scene with F-Locke/Jacob/Ben is nowhere near 7 1/2 minutes long

Well I do not have the 5th season DVDs at hand so I can't check this myself. But I agree, the final confrontation was not that long in the episode.

I guess "Dharma vs. Lostaways" probably contains music from the actual incident sequence.

However, maybe this time Giacchino created more kind of "suite" tracks, condensing cues from different scenes. Maybe "Jacob's Stabber" will be comprised of several Jacob-related cues.

We'll know soon.

Yes, I think it's likely that "Jacob's Stabber" is a suite comprised of Jacob-related cues.

People forget that Jacob's Theme didn't only play in that opening beach scene; It played throughout the episode when he interacted with different characters, and during the final scene with F-Locke and Ben as well

For what it's worth, here are my guesses for the season 5 soundtrack:

1. Making Up For Lost Time (3:23)

The opening of "Because You Left," when Faraday travels to the pit of the Orchid.

2. The Swinging Bendulum (5:43)

Very good bet this is the score to the final moments of "The Lie," when Ben visits Eloise and we get that first rendition of

"Eloise's Theme" (very happy to know that will be on the album)

Starts with a nice rendition of Hurley's serious theme, heard on the season two soundtrack title "Mess it All Up."

3. Locke’s Excellent Adventure (4:01)

Probably from "Jughead", but not sure what scene. Perhaps when Locke descends the slope to visit Richard and the 1950s hostiles at

their camp.

This may also be from "The Little Prince," when Locke and co. see the light from the night the hatch lit up, and Sawyer spies Kate

delivering Aaron, with the Lafleur theme playing (by Lafleur theme, I'm referring to the music that's been referred to by others

as the Sawyer and Juliet love theme. It makes its first appearance in this scene.)

4. The Science Of Faith (2:19)

No idea. But I hope it's the music from "This Place is Death," when Locke and co. leave Charlotte and Faraday in search of The

Orchid, with that nice version of the wandering theme on harp.

5. More Locke Than Locke (3:13)

Maybe from "316", when Jacks puts his father's shoes on Locke. Or from "Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham," when Hector leads

Flocke through the Darhma barracks and they come accross Ben = "the man who killed me."

6. Together Or Not Together (4:02)

The only thing I can think of is Eloise's lecture about the workings of the lamp post at the beginning of "316." Which would be

fine with me - Eloise's theme is one of my favourites.

Normally cues are in chronological order, but I rememberDarlton saying on the podcast that "316" and "Life and Death" were very

much meant to be viewed as one piece, with the order not mattering.

7. Through The Window (2:07)

I'm betting this is from "316", when the Ajira flight takes off and we get a slightly different version of the Oceanic Six theme.

8. Dharma Delinquent (1:51)

The opening of "Lafleur", with Horace drunk and disorderly and Sawyer, the new sheriff in town, forced to deal with him. This

music, I now realize, is usually associated with Dharma activity. In the current season, it's the same music that played in

"Recon" when sawyer is led by Zoe and co. to the sub as Widemore's people erect the barriers.

9. La Fleur (2:36)

The end scene of "LaFleur", with Sawyer and Juliet embracing in their kitchen.

10. Crash And Yearn (2:28)

Maybe from "Namaste", when Sawyer gives Jack, Kate and Hurley their clothes and alibi.

11. Your Kharma Hit My Dharma (2:05)

This is either Sayid shooting young Ben from "He's Our You" or from "Whatever Happened, Happened," when Sawyer and Kate take young Ben to the hostiles, with a nice combination of Ben's theme and the wandering theme, followed by a heroic playing of Sayer's theme.

12. Alex In Chains (1:35)

Ben's encounter with Alex beneath the temple wall in "Dead is Dead," with that truly epic, very Raiders rendition of Ben's theme.

13. I Hear Dead People (1:52)

Miles listening to dead people from "Some Like it Hoth"

14. For Love Of The Dame (3:17)

From "The Variable", starting with Faraday and Charlotte's theme (or is it simply Faraday's theme?), playing when Faradays tells young Charlotte to leave the island, then moving into the action cue during the shootout with Radzinsky and his goons.

15. Follow The Leader (7:50)

This is, I think, one of the longest cues on a Lost soundtrack ever. I think it will cover a lot of ground from the episode, including a reprisal of the Crocodile Locke theme that pays when Locke delivers the boar the Richard's beachside camp.

16. Sawyer Jones And The Temple Of Boom (5:14)

From "Follow the Leader." Sawyer and Juliet talk on the sub as it leaves (complete with sub theme), and Jack and co. uncover the hydrogen bomb, with destiny theme.

17. The Tangled Web (1:41)

The opening of "The Incident" - Jacob's theme.

18. Dharma Disaster (5:17)

????

19. Blessings And Bombs (1:30)

????

20. Jack’s Swan Song (1:15)

Perhaps that great rendition of the destiny theme combined with the castaway theme as Jack storms away from Sawyer defiantly, prepared to follow through on his

plan.

21. Dharma vs. Lostaways (4:23)

Action music from the bomb dropping and shootout that precedes it.

There's no doubt as to what this is.

Thanks mouseman that was great!

The only doubt is that the final scene of season 5 wasn't 7 1/2 minutes long!

This just in!!

From the LOST FaceBook page:

May 13 there will be a live orchestral performance from LOST composer Michael Giacchino with members of the cast at UCLA’s Royce Hall. A limited number of tickets to “LOST LIVE: The Final Celebration” go on sale tomorrow (4/23@10:00a PST). Get more info here - http://www.uclalive.org/event.asp?Event_ID=740

I don't believe it. I am GOING to this thing, no matter what. Michael Giacchino conducting the music of Lost with members of the cast a fifteen-minute walk from here? No freaking WAY I am missing that.

Oh my goodness. I'm am positively geeking out right now.

I guess it's time to figure out exactly how I'm going to make it into this apparently sold-out event.

I don't believe it. I am GOING to this thing, no matter what. Michael Giacchino conducting the music of Lost with members of the cast a fifteen-minute walk from here? No freaking WAY I am missing that.

Oh my goodness. I'm am positively geeking out right now.

I guess it's time to figure out exactly how I'm going to make it into this apparently sold-out event.

:lol:

I wish you godspeed!

Even if all I get to do is hang out behind Royce and hope to get a chance to shout, "I LOVE YOU, MIKEY G!", then that's what I'll do.

No, but seriously. I am GOING to this.

Okay, Central Ticket Office says the best bet is to try the box office on the day of the even. Translation: if nothing else works out by then, I will be spending all day Sunday camped out in front of Royce, waiting for the box office to open so I can offer my life savings, essential organs, soul, etc. in exchange for the worst seat in the house.

OOof that stinks Joe! I should have emailed you to make sure you knew; I posted it here as soon as I heard about it

I would have skipped class this morning to buy the ticket! :lol:

Currently pursuing several possible routes to getting a ticket...worst comes to worst, though, I'll just try the box office on the day of.

Yes thanks for the link Maurizio! :) Boy the album sounds good! Can't wait for this to be released!

I must say, I'm glad the music for Ajira 316's takeoff made it onto the album ("Crash and Yearn"). It may be very similar to "Can't Kill Keamy", but it's still so darn good! :D

EDIT: By the way, a few weeks ago, I was watching the latest episode with some friends, and I mentioned my excitement about the fifth season's soundtrack. One was incredulous that they'd been releasing soundtracks for each season. In her words: "People actually buy this crap?"

:)

I must say, I'm glad the music for Ajira 316's takeoff made it onto the album ("Crash and Yearn"). It may be very similar to "Can't Kill Keamy", but it's still so darn good! :D

EDIT: By the way, a few weeks ago, I was watching the latest episode with some friends, and I mentioned my excitement about the fifth season's soundtrack. One was incredulous that they'd been releasing soundtracks for each season. In her words: "People actually buy this crap?"

:)

Well I guess the masses are quite ignorant of the fine art of film and television scoring. Of course you can't dance to it and it doesn't have lyrics so I guess it is not music to them at all. And their confused, baffled and condescending comments after they hear film music is actually released on CDs are enfuriating. But then again it is their loss.

Lost music has gotten progressively better and these past 2 seasons Giacchino has been just plain awesome. It must have been a pretty hard task for Robert Townson to compile this disc from so many hours of good music. But all my favourites seem to be on it (most of all the Jacob music) and then some. :)

Well, I don't know if I can agree with the statement that Lost music has gotten progressively better and better...I mean, it's been great since the pilot! :) But Giacchino has certainly sustained an amazing level of awesomeness without letting the music stagnate, introducing new ideas year after year without compromising the stylistic unity of the existing themes.

But I cán agree with that. It's no coincidence the themes just got better and better: in order: the 'Reunion' theme (Walt & his father, then Penny & Desmond), the Oceanic 6 theme, Miles's theme, Jacob's theme.

Only the final season is a bit of letdown - themewise that is - until now, but then again I haven't seen the last few episodes yet.

Well, I don't know if I can agree with the statement that Lost music has gotten progressively better and better...I mean, it's been great since the pilot! :) But Giacchino has certainly sustained an amazing level of awesomeness without letting the music stagnate, introducing new ideas year after year without compromising the stylistic unity of the existing themes.

Yes I agree. But in my case it might be that I am enjoying the music more now that I have gotten a hang of it so to speak. It took a number of years but Giacchino's contribution is one of the most consistently awesome in the series.

Only the final season is a bit of letdown - themewise that is - until now, but then again I haven't seen the last few episodes yet.

What was the last episode you saw? There are several awesome new themes this season. I miss the Temple theme!

I'm two behind (three if you include this evening's). I was somewhat disappointed, for instance, by that motif that was playing when Jack et al. got captured in those underground passages right before they were being taken to the temple.

Well, I'm watching them tonight, normally! Looking forward to it, needless to say.

That's the Temple theme. It's awesome!

I don't know, I remember liking it in certain places and guises, but not in the one I described. It had too much of a videogame vibe to it for my liking. On the other hand, I guess I shouldn't expect another Jacob's theme or Oceanic Six theme around every corner either.

The only doubt is that the final scene of season 5 wasn't 7 1/2 minutes long!

Actually the last scene is 7½ minutes long. It begins from the point where Ilana and her group appear on the beach with the crate and ends when MiB kicks Jacob into the fire. When you add the 1 minute of material when Juliet detonates the bomb you have all the music from the final minutes of the finale. :)