Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Not what I was looking for, but still a great resource!

41 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

LOST, not LOTR, you idiot.

There you go, curlytoot: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Musical_themes

On the page for each theme, there's a "Variations" section that lists the tracks in which the theme appears (it's probably not complete, but it's still a good place to start)

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks very much! Just curious; are these playlists ALL the appearances of those themes in the OSTs? Or just your favorite appearances? 

I'm currently re-watching all of LOST, and am noticing so many great musical choices and thematic weaving this time around.

I was watching the episode where in the flashback Desmond is a monk, and all throughout the episode, Giacchino gives us only half of Desmond and Penny's theme. Literally every scene that Desmond mentions Penny, we hear only half of the theme to indicate that he is not a complete person without her. And then at the end when we see the flashback of them meeting for the first time, Giacchino plays the full theme to show how they are complete when they're together. Such great musical storytelling. 

5 hours ago, curlytoot said:

Thanks very much! Just curious; are these playlists ALL the appearances of those themes in the OSTs? Or just your favorite appearances? 

Should be all appearances, unless I missed any

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm currently re-watching all of LOST, and am noticing so many great musical choices and thematic weaving this time around.

I was watching the episode where in the flashback Desmond is a monk, and all throughout the episode, Giacchino gives us only half of Desmond and Penny's theme. Literally every scene that Desmond mentions Penny, we hear only half of the theme to indicate that he is not a complete person without her. And then at the end when we see the flashback of them meeting for the first time, Giacchino plays the full theme to show how they are complete when they're together. Such great musical storytelling. 

Hey that''s pretty cool!

• 2 years later...

Personally, I think if you condensed all of LOST into one focused album, it may be his best work.  As a whole, though, I can't put it above Medal of Honor or Speed Racer, or maybe even The Incredibles.

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

Personally, I think if you condensed all of LOST into one focused album, it may be his best work.  As a whole, though, I can't put it above Medal of Honor or Speed Racer, or maybe even The Incredibles.

For me, it’s how he developed all the themes over the course of 6 seasons that sell it, more so than the highlights throughout. MOH and Speed Racer would be my follow-ups though, I agree with you there. Swap Incredibles out for Ratatouille, though. 

Going to the LOST concert tomorrow in Dublin conducted by Giacchino. Just been to the concert tonight of his music as a whole. Fantastic. Premiered a suite from Far From Home too. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Going to the LOST concert tomorrow in Dublin conducted by Giacchino. Just been to the concert tonight of his music as a whole. Fantastic. Premiered a suite from Far From Home too. 

Report back please.  I'm also curious if the instrumentation is kept the same or if it was expanded. 

21 hours ago, karelm said:

Report back please.  I'm also curious if the instrumentation is kept the same or if it was expanded. 

He did a rather interesting thing, by having the orchestra set up exactly like they are in recording sessions. They even had normal clothes on, not suits and dresses, like they were on a scoring stage.

There were 5 percussionists, ranging from drums, anvil etc. 4 trombones, 4 double bass, 6 cello, 25 violins, a piano, harp and keyboard. 

They performed many themes. Richard's, The Others (Ben), Life and Death, Oceanic 6, LAX, Moving On, Parting and gathering theme. Travelling theme, Desmond and Penny's theme. Mr. Eko. The opening piece from the first ever scene. Plus many more.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

He did a rather interesting thing, by having the orchestra set up exactly like they are in recording sessions. They even had normal clothes on, not suits and dresses, like they were on a scoring stage.

There were 5 percussionists, ranging from drums, anvil etc. 4 trombones, 4 double bass, 6 cello, 25 violins, a piano, harp and keyboard. 

They performed many themes. Richard's, The Others (Ben), Life and Death, Oceanic 6, LAX, Moving On, Parting and gathering theme. Travelling theme, Desmond and Penny's theme. Mr. Eko. The opening piece from the first ever scene. Plus many more.

Nice, that's basically the same instrumentation as was on the show except more strings.  It must have been a lot of fun.  Who was the harpist?

• 4 months later...

An official release of that concert is now available

600x0w.jpg

1 Happy Landings6:46
2 LOST: Main Theme 3:10
3 Live Together, Die Alone 6:12
4 Smoke Monsters 3:58
5 Locke'd Out Again 4:09
6 Take a Hike 8:11
7 Hurley's Handouts 5:18
8 The Constant 3:45
9 Getting Ethan 1:50
10 Life and Death 7:59
11 Parting Words 6:15
12 The Others 5:19
13 Ab Aeterno 5:17
14 Oceanic Six 3:42
15 Temple of Boom 4:35
16 LAX 4:23
17 The Tangled Web 5:37
18 Moving On 9:24

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0815S32Q5

https://music.apple.com/us/album/1486670640

https://open.spotify.com/album/4UuBqD6bu6CSghZYjB4AFW?si=ewluaTesQB6HMp7uZMk53w

Here's one track from it

No physical CD seems to be in the works, but there's a vinyl coming from Mondo

3.-LOST_front-cover_discs-1200x676.jpg

Mondo's new LOST LP features packaging evoking the bland corporate logos of Dharma Group, the company controlling the island on the show.

Listening to this now on Spotify.  Don't let some of the long track lengths fool you, a lot of them are padded with stuff Giacchino and guests say to the audience in between selections.  No idea why they left all that in on the official release, totally ruins getting immersed in the music.

Apart from that, the music itself here is wonderful.  It's like a nice, 90 minute greatest hits of the major ideas from the whole show, performed very well.

I'll guess I'll have to buy it and bust out a wav editor to remove the talking if I want to listen again though, or just be ready to hit fast forward every time they start

• 2 years later...

Apparently the Season 4 and Season 5 OST albums are about to go Out Of Print?

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/last-copies

Unless that just means last copies "for now" and they'll order more?  Hard to tell.

The OSTs for Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 6 are all still available without the "last copies" moniker.

I actually never heard it. And I'm a big fan of Giacchino.

Haven't seen the show either. Just never got around to it. Mostly because it's 6 seasons worth of episodes and all the score albums together are just very long.

Something in me just hasn't bothered up to now. Maybe someday

52 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Haven't seen the show either. Just never got around to it. Mostly because it's 6 seasons worth of episodes and all the score albums together are just very long.

It's a great score and show!  It does start to meander episode wise around seasons 5 and 6 but even there, there were many standout moments.  It's best to watch in order as the series and tons of unanticipated jolts in the story but overall, a very deeply involving show and wonderful score.

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

It's a great score and show!  It does start to meander episode wise around seasons 5 and 6 but even there, there were many standout moments.  It's best to watch in order as the series and tons of unanticipated jolts in the story but overall, a very deeply involving show and wonderful score.

It's definitely on my list to watch. But somehow I always pick other series to watch first

The first volume (or two first volumes?....there was one with greenish background) was one of the first soundtracks I ever had in digital file format, back in the early 2000s. I think they were on a CD-R of mp3s that a friend made for me. Alas, they didn't do much for me as a listening experience, so I either deleted them or lost them in some of my computer upgrades since then. But in-context of the show, the score is very good; Giacchino's best. Stark, uncomfortable, mysterious.

I've got the first season digitally, bought a few tracks from later seasons, and have the Final Season/Final Episodes CDs that Varese put out. I got a bit caught in the general hype when I bought those but retrospectively I never really connected that strongly. I now have a 40 minute playlist from across the board.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Glad you like that one

It genuinely makes me sad we'll never see that film franchise continue because its musical themes can't continue either. 

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think without seeing the show, listening to the music you might just think "Huh? What's the big deal?".

That's my problem too.

But then, if it does not work on its own, i wouldnt consider it a masterpiece. Much like The Batman.

On the other hand, I love MOH, and i never played the Playstation games.

• 1 year later...
On 15/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, Jay said:

An official release of that concert is now available

600x0w.jpg

1 Happy Landings6:46
2 LOST: Main Theme 3:10
3 Live Together, Die Alone 6:12
4 Smoke Monsters 3:58
5 Locke'd Out Again 4:09
6 Take a Hike 8:11
7 Hurley's Handouts 5:18
8 The Constant 3:45
9 Getting Ethan 1:50
10 Life and Death 7:59
11 Parting Words 6:15
12 The Others 5:19
13 Ab Aeterno 5:17
14 Oceanic Six 3:42
15 Temple of Boom 4:35
16 LAX 4:23
17 The Tangled Web 5:37
18 Moving On 9:24

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0815S32Q5

https://music.apple.com/us/album/1486670640

https://open.spotify.com/album/4UuBqD6bu6CSghZYjB4AFW?si=ewluaTesQB6HMp7uZMk53w

Here's one track from it

No physical CD seems to be in the works, but there's a vinyl coming from Mondo

3.-LOST_front-cover_discs-1200x676.jpg

Mondo's new LOST LP features packaging evoking the bland corporate logos of Dharma Group, the company controlling the island on the show.

Hi everybody, sorry to bump this but I found a sealed copy of this item for a ridiculous price and wanted to ask you if it's worthy to get? I amn't the biggest Giacchino fan (neither of his LOST music, I am quite unfamiliar with it) but this item feels like a big deal as was only released on vinyl format.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Jay that this is Giacchino’s masterpiece. As far as it being the best TV score of all time I think it’s only behind Game of Thrones. Besides that nothing really comes close for me. The use of leitmotifs is incredible just like GOT. I have playlists for every theme with the tracks they appear in. The Lost Wiki was super helpful for that.

I honestly really love the first season’s album. Then season 3 has some of my favorite tracks but it’s far too long. Season 4, season 5, season 6, and last episodes albums are like picking between my children but I think the last episodes is probably the score at its most fulfilled. You get the most out of the score when you’ve listened to all the albums and have seen how the themes developed over the course of the seasons. God I love the main theme of this show which is best showcased in, “Credit Where Credit Is Due.” Something about it makes me so emotional. Maybe it’s the nostalgia of the show itself which I also love or the simplicity of it. So beautiful.

4 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

I have playlists for every theme with the tracks they appear in.

I did that too!  Not every theme but my favorite ones.  Was a fun project

Do you thiink the scores works better after you've seen the show?

I've never seen it, I'm a big Giacchino fan, but somehow never got into his Lost scores. There's so much music that I'm not sure where to start.

I am planning of watching the series at some point, so if that helps to appreciate the music, I'll try to do it sooner rather than later