Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

I'm at work right now so can't really do any streaming stuff. I don't mind downloading the mp3s before the CD comes out but I haven't seen them online yet either.

Just completed an Amazon order for it & Weezer's new album, so I should have it by the start of next week

On a side note, the opening "A Sunken Feeling" is definitely not the same as in the premiere.

Yep. At least the ending of that track is different.

Yeah, that's what I first noticed. In the show, it had a more harsh percussion beat at the end. I also don't recall any of the material that starts off the cue.

On a side note, the opening "A Sunken Feeling" is definitely not the same as in the premiere.

Yeah, that's what I first noticed. In the show, it had a more harsh percussion beat at the end. I also don't recall any of the material that starts off the cue.

I wonder if the CD represents Giacchino's original vision, and it got mucked with for the final cut of the episode?

I'm at work right now so can't really do any streaming stuff. I don't mind downloading the mp3s before the CD comes out but I haven't seen them online yet either.

You're at work ? That's your excuse for not listening to this amazing soundtrack ? Call your boss, I'm gonna have to talk to him...

Even if streaming sites weren't blocked here, I still share the IT office with my boss and other coworker, and I'd get funny looks if I started playing orchestral music or if I put on headphones. I'll listen once I find the mp3s or once my CD arrives in the mail.

I'm in a similar position...while I'd be able to listen at work just fine, the French site isn't working for me, I haven't seen it on any of the torrent sites and I'm waiting for my physical CD to come from SAE.

I noticed the same thing during the action segment of Jacob's Ladders.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who can't get enough of the Man in Black's theme?

The second theme that comes in during Ab Aeterno(and climaxes amazingly in the unreleased Jack/Locke fight :'( ) that is. The first theme is kind of meh. Though, I don't like how it is just replaced by the second theme.

The second theme that comes in during Ab Aeterno(and climaxes amazingly in the unreleased Jack/Locke fight :'( ) that is. The first theme is kind of meh. Though, I don't like how it is just replaced by the second theme.

The first theme is actually a sinister and brooding version of "Locke'd Out Again", which fits pretty perfectly with Flocke. But the second theme is definitely better and more developed, especially in "Across the Sea".

It's great to see you guys so enthusiastic about what doubtlessly are the highlights of this release. But, much as I hate to be the party pooper, this may be the first and only Lost soundtrack that I feel I'll have to abridge in my iTunes. The great material is great, granted, but a lot of CD 1 is just not-that-fascinating renditions of old themes hidden between long sustained notes that work wonders against the images they were composed for but hold little interest on their own. Every Lost soundtrack has this style -- one might call it a trademark -- but in here, for the first time since the season 3 Finale release, it's working against my attention span as a listener.

CD 2 is pure gold, though.

I feel this way about all the soundtracks, but there are enough highlights for me to get over it.

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed how much "Hugo Reyes of Light" sounds just like something Thomas Newman might have written?

I feel this way about all the soundtracks, but there are enough highlights for me to get over it.

I love that a lot of atmospheric material reinvents itself as breathing room for the other albums. Not so much with this 2-CD release. I'm not a eh-let's-skip-to-the-highlights kinda guy, so that's why I find this toying with my patience in certain sections particularly grating.

Yeah, that's why I'm extremely hesitant to call it the best thing ever written for television. There are certain parts that might meet that standard, but the constant renditions of themes bogs it down, I think. That's why I didn't like the score to Through the Looking Glass. Maybe one third of it deserved release.

I've listened to a sampling of tracks now and wow. Every one I've heard has been great. Definitely in contention for best of the 6 releases already.

Can anyone think off the top of their head any major themes from the show NOT present on this set?

Can anyone think off the top of their head any major themes from the show NOT present on this set?

They are,but I've heard better versions of all of them in previous seasons .I agree with what Elmo Lewis said

The best overall c.d remains the Season 4 c.d., Bobbing for Freighters being the best set piece action cue of the entire series ,and you have the most rousing versions of all the other themes

I know I agree. It's not even about the quality of the material. But the listening expierence is better, especially when the music from season finale starts.

In the film version there is no main castaway theme (at around 1:05). Only the stuff you can hear underneath.

Karol

I always thought that LOST music loses some of its real merit and impact when listened on itself. It's music very much tied to the narrative of the series (which also would lose a great deal of sense if watched without Giacchino's music). However, there are several pieces and moments I enjoy a lot as stand-alone listening experience, but I see a lot of my enjoyment is very much dependant on my attachment to the show, its characters and its underlying motifs. That's not to take back from Giacchino's own musical inner merits (which are undoubtebly good), but that's how I feel.

However, the release on CD of LOST music is a testament to Giacchino's exceptional output for the series. In the future, it will be probably looked at with the same respect today we look at Herrmann's and Goldsmith's contribution to The Twilight Zone, imho.

The best overall c.d remains the Season 4 c.d.

:shakehead:

I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me on this

I may agree. I am currently between Season 6 and 4. 4 has some of the best tidbits, but it's not as all around interesting as 6(with the exception of the simple restatements of themes which are kind of superfluous).

The best overall c.d remains the Season 4 c.d.

Another one of those rare occasions where I have to agree with King Mark. :shakehead:

Though I feel like the Ab Aeterno music, if it was just its own 20 minute CD, would blow everything else out of the water. :lol:

I think Lost is the case where you have to build a "super playlist" in itunes where a lot of the cues have to be ommitted for the best listening experience.

I would use "Season 4" as the core and add cues from other seasons to build it up to about 2 and a half hours total music. Not much from Season 2 and 3 would make it in there but a a lot from Seasons 1,5 and 6

I think Lost is the case where you have to build a "super playlist" in itunes where a lot of the cues have to be ommitted for the best listening experience.

I would use "Season 4" as the core and add cues from other seasons to build it up to about 2 and a half hours total music. Not much from Season 2 and 3 would make it in there but a a lot from Seasons 1,5 and 6

Really? I thought 5 was the weakest release by far (though, when watching the episodes, thought 5 was one of the best)

Now that I lost the "on the fly" playlist option on the new ipod Nano (pressing the center button on the old click wheel) it's going to be more difficult to remember what cues I liked.

Really? I thought 5 was the weakest release by far (though, when watching the episodes, thought 5 was one of the best)

It still has a more substantial amount of good individual cues than season 2 and 3 I think .

4 was the weakest LOST soundtrack to come along till 5, if you ask me. I pretty much just skip to the second half, where all the music from the finale is, at which point it becomes top-notch LOST scoring. And I think I've only listened to season 5 a couple of times, sadly.

The last 26 seconds of "And Death Shall Have No Dominion" are awesome!

Everything is back in its box ;)

:)

Also, where did the quoted post by me go to? I can't see it...

Oh, it's in a different thread. I wonder why I did that... Phail moment.

:)

*Checks to make sure he is in the music thread. Ok!*

On an unrelated note, it's interesting that the last piece on the season 6 album is "Moving On" since that is actually the first piece of music from Lost I ever heard. I downloaded an audio rip of the episode blindly just because it was Giacchino, never having listened to any Lost before.

No, I watched all of it, just later. When The End aired, I downloaded that, but after going to a summer camp with more than a few Lost fans who talked about it frustratingly often, I decided to watch it since the first 5 seasons are on Hulu(and the sixth is on various sites). I watched it all in 18 days, concluding it with a 31 episode marathon that went from halfway into season 5 through 6. It was disgusting.

I couldn't help but get frustrated with how overrated it was. When I kept this out of my mind, I really enjoyed it, but thoughts of fans screaming in my face how good an actor Terry O'Quinn always come racing back.

Honestly, I found that I didn't like the music listening to it on its own. I was on a Giacchino binge, and running low on things to listen to, so I figured if I watched the show, I might enjoy the music. I wasn't disappointed in that regard. It's worth watching, if only for the score.

You probably would have liked it more if you hadn't had such expectations and if you'd had a little more time to develop an emotional connection. Took me a few months at least to really get into the show.

I don't think the emotional connection was a problem. I mean, I really got into it during the first season and from then on. I mean, there were more than a few times where I teared up or felt the joy of the characters which is rare in Film/TV. I just found that my expectations left a stink on it all. In the end, I thought it was an excellent show.

I think the best episode of the series was the Season 4 finale (when they try to get the freighter ,Ben moves the Island.)After that it kind of went downhill a bit

I think the best episode of the series was the Season 4 finale (when they try to get the freighter ,Ben moves the Island.)After that it kind of went downhill a bit

"There's No Place Like Home" <3

But I don't know about that. I'd probably go with The End. It just has everything in it. It has multiple action pieces which are by themselves the best action pieces in the show, IMO. It has basically every theme in it, each restated with care in a new, unique way. I love it!

Jesus! I was listening to the album for the first time, alone in my room on headphones when "Catch A Falling Star" came on. I freaked out, thinking someone was in my room creepily singing at me, but no, it was just crazy Claire.