Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

Jesus! I was listening to the album for the first time, alone in my room on headphones when "Catch A Falling Star" came on. I freaked out, thinking someone was in my room creepily singing at me, but no, it was just crazy Claire.

That scene was creepy as hell too

Yea I have the album now, and have listened to disc 1. I dunno what they were thinking putting Claire on there. No thank you.

Can't wait to check out disc 2 tomorrow!

Claire singing Catch a Falling Star was indeed creepy and very good way to score that storming of the Temple aftermath scene, on a disc it is just plain creepy. I do love the Locke in Black theme that follows it, as Giacchino reserves that for his darker and evil moments. Most of the time when he is interacting with the main cast you hear Locke's themes as he obviously plays on their idea of John Locke but when you really see how ruthless and manipulative and cold he is Giacchino brings his ominous theme to the fore. That said I am more of the fan of Man in Black theme from Ab Aeterno.

Also what struck me while listening to the set is that how Jacob's and the Man in Black's themes mirror each other in style. Both characters are extremely calm on the surface and patient and somehow feel almost omniscient which brings an air of uncanny calm to their scenes. Giacchino's themes for those two are also prone to be very static, by which I mean that they are repeated almost the same every time with slight variations in orchestration but nearly always slow, mysterious and calm or ominous. Jacob's theme has a slight unnerving edge despite sounding ancient and calm, the Man in Black's theme is a great villain's motif, which sounds to me ancient, patient but also full of anger underneath, near tragic. Great musical characterization from Giacchino.

I particularly love the music on the track And Death Shall Have No Dominion, where we hear the deep trombones and basses rendition of the Man in Black's theme and see him sitting on a log in the sunshine and Jacob joins him to hand him the bottle of wine. What a pure film music moment where the score offers you another layer to this character.

Could you, or someone else, give me cue times of the MIB's theme? I could never identify it in the show, and still don't hear it on album.

As for favorite episodes, it's pretty much impossible to choose. The way I see LOST, you can't just sit down and watch a select episode. It has so many filmic qualities that I can't imagine myself every watching an episode or scene out of context. It's like I have to watch the entire series in order to get the (emotional) payoff that The End provides. I can choose favorite moments though, while I've been rewatching, there will be certain scenes that standout that I never regarded highly before. I finished Season 1, and in there, I'd say Sawyer telling Jack about meeting Christian is one of the major highlights of the series. Great scene. I'd also include Locke's spiel to Jack about how "each and every one of us was brought here for a reason." How true he would end up being.

I am taking a listen of all the Lost soundtracks and just noted how wonderful cycle Oceanic 815 from the 1st Season OST makes with LAX from the 6th season OST. :)

That is definitely my favorite character theme. It's best rendition is that awesome,mournful statement as Locke's body is shown on the side of the mountain. That's why I wanted that fight scene so much :'''( It's better than sex.

That is definitely my favorite character theme. It's best rendition is that awesome,mournful statement as Locke's body is shown on the side of the mountain. That's why I wanted that fight scene so much :'''( It's better than sex.

What sex do you have?

What sex do you have?

I have good sexings all the time on the finest ladies.

My S6 OST arrived today. Listening now, and so far, I am not disappointed. Giacchino really put his all into this season, and that translates well onto the album. I'm disappointed that the percussion was omitted in "A Sunken Feeling", but I suppose I'll either get used to it or do a DVD rip someday.

I listened to disc 2 today.

Wow.

What a great 75 minutes of music. And its so varied, too! Starts off with the very strong Ab Aeterno music. Love Richard's Theme and the new MIB theme. The way Jacob's Theme weaves through them. Lovely. But then when Happily Ever After music hit... wow. I finally recognized Desmond's Sideways Theme, and its now one of my favorites of the series! Everytime I came on I enjoyed it. It like it just drives the music forward... gives it a sense of purpose, of mission... how do composers do that? And of course Desmond/Penny's love theme came in, which is one of my favorite themes.

Moving on to the Everybody Loves Hugo and The Last Recruit music, I just remember more variations of many different themes, as the music seem to be approaching a conclusion.

But then the two bonus tracks... I dunno. On the one hand they are lovely, but on the other hand I almost feel like they are so emotion and they didn't "earn" it... like if we heard the complete score to The End and then heard these tracks, it would be a conclusion to those scores. But the way the CDs are structured now, they really do feel like almost unrelated bonus tracks.

And man, I"m not saying its not an accomplished work... but "Moving On" is just sad, man! I felt emotionally drained when it was over. Like I don't want to listen to it all that often unless I want to get sad!

"Moving On" is hardcore tear-jerking stuff. It's guaranteed to make you cry every time.

I don't know about that... :P It's certainly some of the best music in that genre. I don't find it emotionally draining. In fact, I find myself replaying the "There's No Place Like Home" and "Oceanic 815"-sounding sections for their beauty. I don't much like the Hurley theme, though... Knowing that the theme was lifted and that there's no real reason to have it there other than aesthetics bothers me. Just a bit. It's still the best statement of that theme.

I don't get Desmond's sideways theme... It's cool and nice and all, but it doesn't strike me as fantastic like it does for everyone else. :S I like Jack's, Claire/Kate's, and Locke's sideways themes better.

Like Blume said, it truly evokes that feeling of magic and mysticism. A first in the LOST series, and I remember just being blown away by it when "Happily Ever After" aired.

No, I get the mysticism. I just don't find the theme so appealing...

Yeah well look at you guys. One has an inverted picture of a man with mold growing on his chin. And the other the cover to The Fountain.

FU! The Fountain is amazing! The score at least. The movie is trash...

Because you watched the clip/episode too many times? I can sympathize.

If anyone is interested, I found a youtube user who is taking all the tracks and lining them up with the video. It's quite useful!

http://www.youtube.com/user/olivierperrier

I'm curious what are everyone's top 5 themes?

Mine are:

1)LAX

2)Ben's Theme/Dharmacide

3)There's No Place Like Home

4)Desmond's Theme/The Constant

5)Kate's Theme/Kate's Motel

I feel like everyone is going to pick Life and Death and Desmond's sideways theme. Those don't really get me going as much as everyone else :S

I never much liked Charlie's theme, except for that extremely short quote in "World's Worst Car Crash" which I think is awesome among the screechy strings.

Yeah, there's a shitload, but I think a lot of them are meh, so it's not THAT hard to choose. At least, not for me.

See, i found it really underwhelming at first, but I always love to hear it quoted. I love the unreleased bit where it plays as Sawyer jumps from the helicopter. So romantic! Giacchino uses it frantically a lot, I've also noticed. I adore when he does that. It's used that way in Backgammon Gambit and Sundown. I more like the way Giacchino adapts it than the actual theme.

I havn't listened to the S6 CDs yet, but am way excited to.

My top five would be:

1. Ben's Theme (especially the sad/ harmonized versions)

2. Locke's Theme

3. Desmond and Penny Theme (or is it just Desmond?)

4. Claire's

5. Island mystery motif (I think that's what some have called it...plays when Juliet gets out of the sub and first sees the island...also played when people explore new areas I think)

Anyone have a theme they kind of dislike? Mine would be Hurley's. I know it's a fun, quirky little thing but it doesn't seem to fit in with the other's to me. Hope I don't offend too many Hurley's Theme lovers out there :(

Anyone have a theme they kind of dislike? Mine would be Hurley's. I know it's a fun, quirky little thing but it doesn't seem to fit in with the other's to me. Hope I don't offend too many Hurley's Theme lovers out there :cool:

I agree. I think it's the weakest of all those sweet, piano-driven themes he composed. Doesn't grab me very much.

My top five:

1) Oceanic Six Theme

2) Desmond's Theme

3) Jack's Theme

4) Rose and Bernard's Theme

5) LAX Theme

Incidentally, would you guys say the Oceanic Six theme evolved into a remembering/reuniting theme for the last season? Or was it always a "there's no place like home" theme? Did Giacchino choose to use that theme cuz it fit well emotionally? Why didn't he write a new theme?

Anyone have a theme they kind of dislike? Mine would be Hurley's. I know it's a fun, quirky little thing but it doesn't seem to fit in with the other's to me. Hope I don't offend too many Hurley's Theme lovers out there :cool:

I agree. I think it's the weakest of all those sweet, piano-driven themes he composed. Doesn't grab me very much.

Wait, I think you're talking about two different themes here. You have to be careful when talking about "Hurley's theme", because he has more themes than any other character. But his main theme is not a "sweet, piano-driven theme" - it's a boisterous melody that got put to use more in the first few seasons than in the last few.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so many people correcting me in such a small amount of time D:

I meant the one from "Moving On", and I think "Hurley's Handouts". I might be wrong about HH. I haven't listened to season 2 in months.

Might as well.

1) Locke's theme

2) Ben's theme

3) Oceanic Six theme

4) Parting/Gathering theme

5) Traveling/Exploring theme

That was hard.