Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

Henry B

Absolutely hilarious movie reviews that I stumbled upon. You'd think it would be hard to sustain the humor after over an hour, but not for this guy. Check them out, unless you're turned off by profanity and, um, disturbing sequences:

http://www.blancscreencinema.com/redlettermedia/phantom_menace.html'>The Phantom Menace

http://www.blancscreencinema.com/redlettermedia/clones.html'>Attack of the Clones

He's also done Avatar and various Star Trek films.

I've watched all his reviews after someone posted them in the TPM thread. The biggest laugh-out-loud moment for me was in the AOTC review where he says "First she gives him a little feeler to see if she and Anakin can **** in the bathroom". My god, I had to stop the video for five minutes because not many things actually make me laugh that uncontrollably!

The difference between what a guy and a girl look for in a relationship was just hilarious, and french Anakin and that edit of Yoda from Empire shaking his head with the footage of Lucas going "in the digital world I can do whatever I want and shit" was gold. The whole review had me laughing uncontrollaby. Oh and Rick McCallum's face on the TPM review... he knows they made shit, he knows...

These interviews are hilarious and really really interesting. I don't agree with a lot of the critcisms, but I think overall he's probably right, and he does make a good point for most of them.

It's not that I don't agree with alot of his points ......but there's just no need for the voice he puts on :P

I'll be so happy if life ever presents me an opportunity to do this to him, or at the very least watch someone else do it -

auditionr.jpg

I don't mind his voice at all, he sounds like that lobster guy from Futurama. Sometimes indeed the way he says things help the effect, like the "they're smiling, they're in love" bits. For some reason I loved that bit in the TPM review after the old guy says "A comunication disruption can mean only one thing, invasion" and he says "it could also mean you didn't pay your phone bill", there's something in the way he said that line that really got me.

It makes it pretty clear why I never really understood the plot of The Phantom Menace. Because nothing makes any sense

I remember seeing the film several times to try to understand he story

For me, his voice is a big part of the 'effect'. I'm amused by it.

The voice and the persona make the reviews in my mind. It wouldn't be nearly as funny or irreverent if the guy used his normal speaking voice. I mean, Plinkett is the type of guy who would make a 90-minute YouTube review of Star Wars.

He's pretty hilarious. :P And so spot-on, too - I've never been a huge prequel basher, for all their flaws, but this is one type of prequel bashing I can really enjoy.

EDIT: Just noticed Charlie hugging Willy Wonka in the "guy gets the girl" montage around 4:33 in the TPM review. Priceless! :P

One really good thing about these reviews is that, for the most part, he doesn't go after the easy targets, he only mentions Jar Jar a couple of times as a cartoon rabbit, he doesn't say anything about the Boss Nass drooling thing or the two-headed announcer.

I've really enjoyed his reviews very, very much. They do not only lay bare the fundamental flaws of the prequels, but he also reminds us of what made the original films (Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back in particular) so great.

Yeah, he actually gets into the meat of why the prequels are so deficient at their core. I mean, Jar Jar and friends can be mighty annoying, but a really good story can survive some superficially irritating elements. The prequels, unfortunately, don't tell a really good story as a whole. The makings of a really good story are there, but they're told in such a confusing and unsatisfying way that it's easy to miss them, at least until ROTS.

Some people say they don't agree with a lot of the criticisms. May I ask what criticisms those might be?

There are actually quite a bit, but one I can think of off the top of my head was the whole "Qui-Gon not having morals because he uses his mind tricks to take advantage of others, and it's not a matter of "ends justifies the means" because he could have just stolen the parts from Watto." I mean, c'mon...most people I know don't try to logically justify their actions as moral or immoral--rather, they just go with their intuition. I'm sure Jedi are no different. Using a Jedi mind trick to get a very positive end result does not seem like such a moral fallacy to most I'm willing to bet. Sneaking into a store and stealing the parts to reach the same end does violate most people's moral intuition. Maybe they would both result in the same end practically speaking, but intuitively speaking I don't think so. And I know that the moral intuition of people varies throughout the world, throughout the nation, throughout a street. But, given the moral compass that Star Wars films have been marketed towards in the past, and most American blockbusters, I'd say Qui-Gon's actions fit pretty well with the limits of the moral compass.

I also feel that he's a bit too nitpicky. I'm willing to buy that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew that the "tea" wasn't posioned by using their feelings, the same way Luke knew he could get rid of that viewing screen. I don't think the gamble in TPM was convuluted or hard to follow. And honestly, complaining that the gondala Anakin and Padme ride in on at the lake house is too futuristic for the setting? C'mon. There's lots of other stuff that I'm forgetting right now.

In the end, I really agreed with his more general problems with the film. I loved his analysis of why making Yoda fight contradicts the idea that the Force is beyond the physical. I agreed about the scientific explanation of the Mido-Chlorians de-mystifying the Force. And I agree about the genius of that shot that opens the original Star Wars and how nothing quite with such a low simplicity to informing ratio was ever achieved in the prequels. Again, there's other stuff I'm forgetting.

To reiterate, I really enjoyed watching these, and I agreed with many of the minor points and most of the major ones.

I also feel that he's a bit too nitpicky. I'm willing to buy that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew that the "tea" wasn't posioned by using their feelings, the same way Luke knew he could get rid of that viewing screen.

Actually they were sent to make some strange negotiations with what they think it's a coward race, being poisoned was probably the last thing they would imagine, so yeah I have no problem with them drinking the tea even without using their feelings.

For me, his voice is a big part of the 'effect'. I'm amused by it.

The voice and the persona make the reviews in my mind. It wouldn't be nearly as funny or irreverent if the guy used his normal speaking voice. I mean, Plinkett is the type of guy who would make a 90-minute YouTube review of Star Wars.

I think the idea with the character is that even a crazy old pervert can clearly see the flaws of the prequels (and the other films he's reviewed).

And honestly, complaining that the gondala Anakin and Padme ride in on at the lake house is too futuristic for the setting? C'mon.

I think the point he was making there extended beyond just the gondola; rather, he was referring to the many cliches from our culture which which were jammed into the films, thinly veiled by making them appear "futuristic". Simply put, instead of creating his own romantic setting and making us believe and become invested in the two lovers through convincing dialogue and character development we're instead presented with many "romantic" ideas to basically just shove the idea down our throats with any real conviction. That's how i interpreted it anyway.

And honestly, complaining that the gondala Anakin and Padme ride in on at the lake house is too futuristic for the setting? C'mon.

I think the point he was making there extended beyond just the gondola; rather, he was referring to the many cliches from our culture which which were jammed into the films, thinly veiled by making them appear "futuristic". Simply put, instead of creating his own romantic setting and making us believe and become invested in the two lovers through convincing dialogue and character development we're instead presented with many "romantic" ideas to basically just shove the idea down our throats with any real conviction. That's how i interpreted it anyway.

To me it seemed like he was angry about the gondola specifically because it was futuristic looking, not because it was a gondala (which has romantic connotations).

I think his point is that everything is "old-world" looking, so why have a futuristic gondola? Which is a fair point, it is a strange sight since it looks like a spaceship, why would a gondola look like a spaceship even in the future? I agree with him but it is heavy nitpicking though.

I could barely get through the first part of his Phantom Menace review, I had to turn it off. The voice alone irritated me more than the actual film did.

• 4 months later...

The key to his success is not strictly reviewing the movie but explaining why it is what it is. I think it might be the best review I've seen for this particular movie (especially because most of them said "it's an awesome movie but don't make me think too much about it").

http://www.redlettermedia.com/star_trek_09.html

Don't forget to check out the references part at the end.

That was excellent. Once again Plinkett is the awkward editing master. The "case of the not gays" segment was hilarious, and oddly telling of mainstream culture today. We've moved past pretending gays don't exist and are now suspecting them of being everywhere, McCarthy style.

It's definitely a change to hear Plinkett actually give a movie a healthy amount of praise instead of totally ripping it a new one, as he did with the prequels and the TNG movies.

Sure the movie has a lot of glaring, gaping plot holes. Yes they're noticeable and make the movie pretty awkward when you over-analyze it. But Mr. Plinkett knows his Star Trek lore so well that they're forgivable when you compare them to all the problems with the other shows and movies.

Don't forget to vulcanize your nacelle.

Funny, as usual. The movie still stinks. I'm a big enough Star Trek fan that I still like all the earlier movies in some way, like Nemesis or Final Frontier. I also like dumb popcorn entertainment, but not this.

I sincerely hope that they don't make a new Star Trek movie for a while.

If at all. Give it up guys. Its time for Paramount to put Star Trek to bed for a while. Cancel Enterprise and then proceed to erase it from memory. I know thats too harse, but its a bad show. Given 7 years it might evolve into a decent series, but I wont be watching, and since its performing far worse than Voyager, I don't think many others will either.

But seriously, Paramount does need to put Star Trek to bed for about 7 to 10 years. Then after time has passed start again. But this time put it back in the 24th century taking place after TNG, DS9, Voyager, and these last 3 Star Trek films. Put it on the new Enterprise. Call it Star Trek, the New Generation. Go with the current next series idea that Star Fleet and the Federation are on the verge of extinction, and that the new crew will be part of the savior of Star Fleet and Star Trek in general. Tell us of the heroic demise of the Enterprise E. and the death of legend Captain Picard, and the death of the Titan and her gallant crew.

2. Paramounts continue goal that Star Trek must be made accessible to the public. Tailoring a film to the certain group always leads to a bad film. Instead try to make the best film possible based on the medium and material and its back stories. If you make a good film people are more likely to see it, not always, but you do improve your chances.

if they choose to make Star Trek XI. I hope it's five minutes long: the whole Star Trek universe collapses in on itself, so no one else can screw it up. (just kidding)

Still relevant after all these years.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to see someone do something similar but defending the films. I read something in the LA Times the other day where the guy really went into a lot of detail into why the prequels really work on some levels. I don't think I was absolutely convinced, but it was really interesting to hear someone really passionately and thoughtfully talking positively about something that so many other people are ridiculously vitriolic towards.

Well, the prequels do have some core elements that could have worked really, really well if the films had been created in the sort of environment that the original trilogy was: highly collaborative and somewhat limited in the visual effects department. There's just a lot of crap that gets in the way of those core elements being apparent, and almost all of that is due to Lucas having way too much power in the filmmaking process.

I'll look forward to watching Plinkett's review. ROTS is probably my favorite of the prequels (though TPM feels more like a Star Wars film), but its flaws are many, and I'm sure these videos will do a brilliant job of pointing them out, as usual.

"[Orson] Welles used special effects to extensively tell a story, and Lucas used a story to extensively tell special effects."

I'd like to see someone do something similar but defending the films. I read something in the LA Times the other day where the guy really went into a lot of detail into why the prequels really work on some levels. I don't think I was absolutely convinced, but it was really interesting to hear someone really passionately and thoughtfully talking positively about something that so many other people are ridiculously vitriolic towards.

Interesting, Charlie. I'd like to read that. Was it online?

"[Orson] Welles used special effects to extensively tell a story, and Lucas used a story to extensively tell special effects."

And sell toys and video games. Episode I was a 2.5 hour trailer for "Racer," which was actually a really fun video game.

Oh indy4, common, we have a project for you...

:lol: Actually I agree with a lot of what he's saying...I believe that while there's a lot wrong with the prequels, there's so much to like about them that I really enjoy watching them. That said, I also disagree with a lot of what he's saying.

Interesting, Charlie. I'd like to read that. Was it online?

Yeah, I can't remember where, it was maybe linked by IMDB's main page?

I was laughing out loud at points.

"But anyway, he tells the Senate that the Jedi - an organization of monks that have been the guardians of peace and justice for over a thousand generations - have suddenly decided to take over the world! Oh, and I just also happen to look and sound like a monster that wants to take over the world. Don't mind my creepy black cloak, my horribly evil sounding voice, or terrifying face. Also, don't mind the fact that I'm yelling about creating a galactic empire run exclusively by me. No, no, you see, it's the Jedi that are the ones who tried to take over! And that warranted them all being executed by the army that I control by myself without any kind of trial in the courts to prove that what I'm saying is true. Yup, we just killed them all, including the children! And then we burned down their temple, and you're all just gonna have to take my word for it. Trust me, look at my face! Would this face lie to you? You see, I've successfully eliminated the only opposition I might have had to form my own galactic empire. Please continue with the applause. So remember to vote Palpatine in the next election that will never happen, because I said so."