Star Wars soundtracks - Sony vs. RCA

mouseman

Hi all.

Seeking advice from those more knowledgeable than me.

I have owned the RCA double-disc releases of the original trilogy that were released in tandem with the films during the theatrical "Special Edition" re-release - probably my most played discs.

Despite being careful, I've somehow managed to scratch one of the discs, which promped me to think about the more recent SONY release.

I'm wondering, is there significantly improved audio quality between the RCA release and the SONY release? Not that it will persuade me to but the SONY set - I'm already pretty much certain I will - but it would be nice to know.

Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having owned both I can safely say that they are identical. Datameister is right, Sony used the exact same masters for their releases, no improvements what so ever. If you have the RCA versions just keep them, don't WASTE your money by getting the Sony sets. Datameister is also right that the Sony packaging is much less superior to that of RCA's, especially the laser etched versions.

Not only does the packaging look nicer, but there a nice sized booklet of liner notes in the RCA version. There aren't any liner notes in the Sony versions.

There is no audio improvement whatsoever on the Sony versions, it's the exact same mix. The only reason to get those releases is if you have some strange compulsion to have screensavers or posters or whatever crap they put in there rather than a quality release.

John- in a rather blunt mood tonight

...and if you're one of those types (like me) who can't stand to have the disc knowing it's scratched, then you could easily replace it by finding an RCA one on eBay. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a used RCA ESB for $6.

Or if you're like most of us, once you get a CD, rip it to your hard drive as wave (then encode to flac or some other form of lossless), put the CD back into its case and never touch it again. At least not unless you have to rip it again for some reason.

If he already owns the RCA editions and they are scratched why not just buy the new ones at a bargain price? He already owns the packing with the liner notes. Who cares what the discs look like?

Karol - who doesn't own the Sony edition

What's the best program out there that allows me to rip FLACs?

I could be wrong but I'm not sure you can rip directly to flac. As I said I could be wrong...but in most cases I think you have to rip to wave first then encode it to flac.

To rip to wave the best program is to use Audiograbber. It rips at the highest frequencies, where most of your other program won't. For flac, you can use Goldwave, or you can use Flac Frontend. Someone else maybe able to recommend a better program for flac.

Does No-one listen to music on Hi-Fi's here? or is it all generally PC/iPod?

I do both, but sadly the iPod gets more play due to time constraints. I don't put music on my HDD with the intention of listening to it through the stereo, it's on there strictly for headphones/iPod use, although I do some archiving and editing, which I do in WAV and then FLAC.

I'm old school so I listen to music the old way, which means CDs and a hi-fi system. I even got a beautiful Linn LP12 turntable. Amazing, isn't it?!

The Sony releases aren't identical to the RCA releases in sound quality. There are similar... but Sony seems to offer a marginal improvement in quality. It's too bad, because they could have done so much more with the music. Nevertheless, the Sony releases (especially Return of the Jedi) are a tad clearer and sharper.

If I understand correctly.

Eh... no, I don't think so. All I can say is that listening to my RCA Jedi and iTunes samples of the Sony editions reveal a difference in quality. It's not the amplified treble that plagues releases like the new Raiders.

...and if you're one of those types (like me) who can't stand to have the disc knowing it's scratched,

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure you can rip directly to flac. As I said I could be wrong...but in most cases I think you have to rip to wave first then encode it to flac.

It depends on hwo you define "directly". CDs contain raw audio data, which is basically WAV without a header, so every ripper program "directly" rips, more or less, WAV, which is then converted to the target format, e.g. MP3. You can of course do the same with FLAC or any codec you can imagine.

On Linux I use soundKonverter, but that won't be of much use to most of you (although it's one of the best ripper programs I've seen for any system). On Windows, Winamp used to do it, but I think only the commercial version supports it now. There must be plenty of other tools though.

My PC is hooked up to my amp via SP/DIF. The reason being that the good amp is in another room than my PC and when listening via headphones at night, I didn't want to have to run into the other room whenever I had to change the volume or pause a track.

I'm 99% sure that the Sony release has the exact same audio, just with inferior packaging. :(

Good thing I didn't actually place an order, though that's disappointing. I'll see if I can order a new copy of the RCA Empire release from Amazon or something. Thanks guys.

And don't remaster it!

Unfortunatly that goes against the gut instinct of most people working in the music industry.

It has to be remastered, to make it sound new and improved!

Come and hear the sonic details that you never heard before!

Hear Star Wars the way George Lucas intended it to sound like, back in 1977*

* sound optimised for the Apple Ipod/Iphone earbuds

I will say the recent 30th Anniversary release is something I considered purchasing because of the original artwork used for the CD packaging. Even the CDs have the original LP label artwork on them (RSO & Fox Music).

I will say the recent 30th Anniversary release is something I considered purchasing because of the original artwork used for the CD packaging. Even the CDs have the original LP label artwork on them (RSO & Fox Music).

I thought about it too...but once I realized the music is the same 98'/2004 sets repackaged with different packing and the "Correlian Edition" the same thing that was offered with the ROTS score...not worth blowing $80 for.

But the UE was still awesome in its own weird way, for me anyway.

Actually, I agree. I was overjoyed when I first bought it, and I'm still deeply grateful for its release. But it could have been so much more, and the fact that the packaging prominently featured a bald-faced lie about its contents in order to increase its sales really disturbs me.

I do not own a pc, nor an iPod, either. What I do have is a very expensive, very, very good 2-channel system, which I have built up over the last few years. IMO, this is the true way to listen to music.

I'm old school so I listen to music the old way, which means CDs and a hi-fi system. I even got a beautiful Linn LP12 turntable. Amazing, isn't it?!

You have an LP12?! Where do you live; I want to come round your house right away! It's odd how you describe c.d.s, as "the old way".

The Sony releases aren't identical to the RCA releases in sound quality. There are similar... but Sony seems to offer a marginal improvement in quality. It's too bad, because they could have done so much more with the music. Nevertheless, the Sony releases (especially Return of the Jedi) are a tad clearer and sharper.

There is a vary small improvement in sound quality, but you would need very sensitive hi-fi to detect it.

You have an LP12?! Where do you live; I want to come round your house right away! It's odd how you describe c.d.s, as "the old way".

Is that not how it's being perceived these days? Anyway, here's my legendary photo of my LP12:

DSC00579-1.jpg

I found our old Kenwood LP player while I was cleaning out my dad's house. I'm almost tempted to keep it, I still have my ESB double LP.

My father received one of those machines that incorporates a record player, CD player, cassette player, radio, and so forth for Christmas. While I was visiting, I had a lot of fun listening to the old Star Wars LP for the first time in many years. Boy, Williams' musical styles may have changed since then, but his ability to totally scramble and abridge the album listening experience sure hasn't. :)

I do all the time. My computer is also hooked up to my Hi-Fi system.

Cool, what Hi-Fi do you use?

WOW! You have the LP12! She sure is beautiful!, I'm saving up to upgrade to add an LP Player. I have a Naim Audio/Bowers and Wilkins system :) and I love it sooo much!

My PC is hooked up to my amp via SP/DIF. The reason being that the good amp is in another room than my PC and when listening via headphones at night, I didn't want to have to run into the other room whenever I had to change the volume or pause a track.

I see, that could become frustrating very quickly.

And don't remaster it!

I agree!

Here here!

I do not own a pc, nor an iPod, either. What I do have is a very expensive, very, very good 2-channel system, which I have built up over the last few years. IMO, this is the true way to listen to music.

Which Hi-Fi is it you use?

There is a vary small improvement in sound quality, but you would need very sensitive hi-fi to detect it.

I find the Sony ROTJ to be awful (treble) when its played on my Hi-Fi. I tend to stick to the Anthology or RCA.

Is that not how it's being perceived these days? Anyway, here's my legendary photo of my LP12:

DSC00579-1.jpg

That is beautiful! tempted to get the naim aro?

I found our old Kenwood LP player while I was cleaning out my dad's house. I'm almost tempted to keep it, I still have my ESB double LP.

Play It!!! Ive got the double one too, it falls out of tune on End Titles (slightly) :D

I have an Aiwa receiver with a set of Jensen QX-45 loudspeakers, and a Yamaha S657 universal DVD player. Never quite got into 5.1 or the now excessive 7.1 channel audio (the Yamaha RX-Z11 supports 11.2 channels! Blah!) - I've found that surround channels are under-utilized from what I've heard in showrooms anyway, so I'm not bothered by it. I actually quite enjoyed the Star Wars movies in trusty old Dolby 2.0 audio. Those are great stereo mixes on the DVDs.

DSC00579-1.jpg

Wow, Alex! What arm, and catrtridge do you have? The Aro would look (not to mention sound) great. Do you have a power supply? If not, consider The Armageddon, as it would improve your LP12 no end. BTW, what record is that on the deck?

Arm: SME Model 3009

Cartridge: Audio-Technica (don't know what type)

Power Supply: Original internal (look at the power button, it's a very old LP12)

Record: Empire Of The Sun - John Williams

Arm: SME Model 3009

Cartridge: Audio-Technica (don't know what type)

Power Supply: Original internal (look at the power button, it's a very old LP12)

Record: Empire Of The Sun - John Williams

It might be very old, but it is still very nice. Kudos to you.

The record isn't bad, either.

DSC00579-1.jpg

Wow, Alex! What arm, and catrtridge do you have? The Aro would look (not to mention sound) great. Do you have a power supply? If not, consider The Armageddon, as it would improve your LP12 no end. BTW, what record is that on the deck?

What's your Naim Richard?

I only have the CD5i/Nait5i with B&W 685's on Isoblue/Partington Rack/Stands

An admirable choice aj (can I call you aj...or is it _vader?) Anyway....B&W always goes well with Naim.

My stuff cosists of:

CDx,

NAC 92 pre-amp.,

NAP 90 power amps. x2

Flat cap,

Hi-cap,

SNAXO 2-4 active crossover,

SBLs,

Naim interconnects, and cable,

all sitting very nicely thank you, on a Naim Fraim.

Total cost: classified,

Total musical pleasure: priceless.