Your Top 5 Complete/Expanded JW Scores

Josh500

The thing with Temple of Doom for me, is that it is my third favorite score, only behind Star Wars and Empire, so it's one of those few scores I really, really need to have complete and there are still three or four good cues unreleased. That said, I've always defended the very criticized Indy boxset, I'm very happy with it and it did contain all of the tracks I wanted the most, in fact in terms of music selection and given that the release wasn't going to be complete I think Bouzereau nailed it, with the exception maybe of "The Secret Passage".

...and the extended "Slalom On Mt. Humol", and all that purely percusssion stuff on the rope bridge. Still, it does contain "Approaching The Stones", which is worth the price of admission any day!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Child Returns" (with the revised beginning) NEEDED to be on there. It starts with one of the coolest statements of Parade of the Slave Children, and it ends with an amazing transition into "The Elephant Ride."

In no particular order:

1. "E.T."

Complete, un-used cues, cues from deleted scenes, and the re-recording CD (like the MCA "Jaws"). Would take 3, maybe 4 CDs. WELL worth it.

2. "Jaws 2"

Complete & remastered, like the Decca release for the first film. Inferior score to the first one, but still fucking Jaws music.

3."The Eiger Sanction"

Isn't this the one Williams doesn't want done (or am I confusing that with "Sugarland Express"?). If it is, nuts to him, don't need his permission, don't need his approval -- just release it anyway. Complete & remastered.

4. I'll probably get odd looks for saying it, but: "Gilligan's Island".

5. A compilation, like Prometheus Records Goldsmith "Early Years" CD, with cues from all those rare and forgotten series Williams provided efforts to. MAke it a 2CD set and throw on at the end ALL his NBC News/NBC music.

There's no one I can purchase all releases blindly from. Even the best composer doesn't write gold all the time

They didn't call him Goldsmith for nothing.

There is no particular John Williams score that springs to mind 1) which is incomplete and 2) that I'd like to see released in totally complete form.

If anything, it would be

1 - Revenge Of The Sith

2 - Attack Of The Clones

3 - Prisoner Of Azkaban

The two prequels mainly not because I think it will be awesome to hear, but I'm simply curious what Williams really had in mind before the editors touched it with their grubby fingers.

And PoA just for the full, hopefully recorded, end credits.

There's a lot of excellent material missing from all three of those scores. Especially with the prequels, Williams' intentions were sometimes very different from what you see in the final cut - for the better or for the worse.

3."The Eiger Sanction"

Isn't this the one Williams doesn't want done (or am I confusing that with "Sugarland Express"?). If it is, nuts to him, don't need his permission, don't need his approval -- just release it anyway. Complete & remastered.

Well it's true that legally they don't need his approval, but if you approach a composer and they give a definitive 'no', it's a bit hard to go ahead and do it anyway. I'm sure they have too much respect for Williams to go against his wishes

And this touches upon the issue of ownership of music - I think it's completely wrong for a composer to write a score, and then lose all legal rights to what happens to their work.

There's a lot of excellent material missing from all three of those scores. Especially with the prequels, Williams' intentions were sometimes very different from what you see in the final cut - for the better or for the worse.

Yes, if/when the prequels get a properly done complete release, I think they're going to contain a lot of surprises.

Sugarland is the one Williams nixed.

Any idea why he nixed it, Mark? At the very least, it would have archival value, being the first collaboration etc., etc.

Both "Jaws 2", and "The Eiger Sanction" are partly re-recordings, so they would have to go over two discs each, which might make it financially inviable, but, then again, they did it for "The Fury", so...

I believe he felt the theme, which has been released on several compilations, best represents the score.

I find it a shame he feels that way. To me it's an important score because it represents the first collaboration with Spielberg.

I believe he felt the theme, which has been released on several compilations, best represents the score.

I find it a shame he feels that way. To me it's an important score because it represents the first collaboration with Spielberg.

If he asked any JWfan if the theme represented the score, he might get a completely different answer! I would have thought that any composer/artist would want as much of their music "out there". Just release the c.d., and let it find its own equilibrium.

I don't want what represents the score, I want the score. It's not difficult.

Family Plot is pushing 40 and not getting any younger. Who knows if it's been lost in that King Kong backlot fire at Universal? I agree that all the old stuff needs to be preserved. That's a priority.

I still want a few tracks, like the balcony kiss (which most people hate), Anakin's confession, the funeral and also the complete film version of the finale and the alternate unused version. It's not enough to make a top 5 desired score list by any respect, but whatever. I'd still get it.

It surprises me to read how many people have Attack Of The Clones on their list, considering it's the dullest of the six Star Wars scores.

I agree. :thumbup:

That's better.

It surprises me to read how many people have Attack Of The Clones on their list, considering it's the dullest of the six Star Wars scores.

I agree. :thumbup:

That's better.

:lol:

It's certainly most gratifying to read how many people here have Attack Of The Clones on their wish list, considering it's my favorite of the Star Wars prequel scores and the one I feel to have best captured the spirit of what I set out to achieve with the original trilogy all those years ago.

Just don't hold your breath for a complete release any time soon, sorry but GL has got me by the balls on this one.

Thanks for the update John!