John Williams' Conrack (1974)

A24

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, according to FSM, there is only about 15 minutes of music in the films, the FSM track represents the main titles, nearly half of it.

The FSM c.d. says (something like) if you get more than 15 minutes of music in a Martin Ritt film, then you are doing alright, which, by that standard, would make the 30 minutes, or so, in "Stanley And Iris" a near miracle!

...which has 10 good minutes in it.

Interseting. Which (and I am not trying to be sarcastic, here - as Gordon Sumner says: "I have only come seeking knowledge, things they couldn't teach me of in college") are your favourite moments from S+I? Tell me, and I'll be wrapped around your finger.

Which is still 10 minutes more than most others soundtracks! (drum fill)

It would be nice if the complete Conrack would be released coupled with Pete 'n' Tillie, another still unreleased short (15 min.) lovely JW score for a Martin Ritt film.

Interseting. Which (and I am not trying to be sarcastic, here - as Gordon Sumner says: "I have only come seeking knowledge, things they couldn't teach me of in college") are your favourite moments from S+I? Tell me, and I'll be wrapped around your finger.

I can't say I can recall off-hand, as I rarely listen to it. But I love the main titles. When those strings come in at the end, I get goosebumps. And IIRC, 'The Bicycle' is nice. But I was speaking more in terms of the film. It's not a very good one, and I recall there being only a couple of instances where the music really added something.

I can't say I can recall off-hand, as I rarely listen to it. But I love the main titles. When those strings come in at the end, I get goosebumps. And IIRC, 'The Bicycle' is nice. But I was speaking more in terms of the film. It's not a very good one, and I recall there being only a couple of instances where the music really added something.

The final three cues ("Letters", "Putting It All Together" and "End Credits") form a kind of suite which is absolutely superb, imho. Simple and heartfelt lyricism like very few composers are able to create.

As a stand-alone listening experience Stanley & Iris is probably a tad too repetetive, but it's a lovely small score which flows beautifully on CD. The only quibble I have is the recording, which is full of room noises. Also, the performance has some minor troubles (the clarinet is out of tune in several spots, esp. the main title cue, while woodwind readings seem a bit inaccurate in spots).

Is it about a rack in the con? How is the music? Why is there no CD?

Alex

istead of this post you could have just looked it up on IMDB

I didn't know that, joey. Maybe we can close this site and all go to IMDb for our John Williams information?

It would be nice if the complete Conrack would be released coupled with Pete 'n' Tillie, another still unreleased short (15 min.) lovely JW score for a Martin Ritt film.

i think the FSM liner notes say that the track from conrack is the only thing that survived?

I can't be sure, but perhaps this is the way that Martin Ritt likes his scores to be: filler, not killer.

i think the FSM liner notes say that the track from conrack is the only thing that survived?

I believe that's what Lukas, or whoever did the liner notes, wrote. Although that was in 1998.

This is another one of those films that I would love to see, but that I've yet to find. Score is good, Williams in gritty Americana mode, which he knows well (parts of which he incidentally revisited for another rural Jon Voight film many years later, ROSEWOOD)

This is another one of those films that I would love to see, but that I've yet to find. Score is good, Williams in gritty Americana mode, which he knows well (parts of which he incidentally revisited for another rural Jon Voight film many years later, ROSEWOOD)

And the album presentation length couldn't be better, I'm sure. :)

And the album presentation length couldn't be better, I'm sure. :)

Ah! Now, "Rosewood": wasn't that a replacement score? "Look Down, Lord" is great!