Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Jay

Yeah, the ending of the film was just ridiculous. As I recall...Hagrid comes back, and the entire hall goes completely silent so he can have a little conversation with a few students, and then everyone applauds his return ad nauseum, complete with cheesy grins and fist-shaking, right? No wonder the music produces such mixed feelings in me - if that same ending had been written for the end of DH Part 2 instead, it probably would have had me in tears. But at the end of this film? Blech.

Besides, the original was classier, less long-winded. That's one of my favorite last shots of any film, especially with the music...it's gorgeous but not overdone. The end of COS sounds like it's the end of an entire freaking saga.

I agree with everything, but A) I still don't really see what JW/WR could have done differently, considering the shot itself is so grand and epic and B) I still love it outside of the film.

The ending of the movie isn't that bad, and I can be really cynical. POA had a God AWFUL ending with Harry yelling like a fool and the totally out of place PAUSE with his goofy face. That was bad. But then you have the totally lame-o endings to the last bunch. They just sort of...end. Is the ending of the first movie the only genuinely good one, or does that one suck as well?

POA's ending was weird, but it had none of the puke-inducing cheesiness of COS. And as I said, I really like the ending of SS - it's a simple, satisfying, non-cheesy, non-weird ending to the film, with the final shot being a paragon of audiovisual beauty.

No,I just meant in the context of closing your eyes and listening to it. Lets say ,in an alternate reality, it was suddenly officially announced that Williams didn't write the Raiders March ,but he did write the Superman Theme and the Star Wars theme...could your ears believe it? Would your whole perception of JW be thrown out of whack?

When you first heard the End Credits or the Amblin Fanfare of Amazing Story on TV but couldn't see Williams name in the credits ,did you even think for a second it could have been written by someone else? Even the 5 second "Act Break" couldn't have been written by another composer.

The problem with Reunion of Friends is that it's not just random underscore,it's a fully blown elaborate fanfare ,much more difficult to copy.

Considering Ross's job was to basically take "Leaving Hogwarts" and double the number of measures, it couldn't have been that hard [for a professional, trained composer that Williams personally trusts]. I don't know how you could call it a wholly original piece in Williams' style.

Because I think it would be a lot harder than you make it out to be . And it's not simply doubling the number of measures, the new parts contain segments only Williams could have written

There's actually wasn't too much work involved. The new bars may sound good, but they're not the sort of thing that only Williams could come up with. It's at least an excellent imitation, certainly - but it might not be anything more than that. It's a relatively straightforward passage that could have been created by Williams or Ross.

Anyways it's on the OST. And inside the booklet is says "ALL MUSIC COMPOSED BY JOHN WILLIAMS" .So if you actually want a written proof you have it

but I guess that's still not enough for everyone.

Well, the TPM UE says it contains every note of music composed for the film...that don't mean it's true. :P

I have no idea what to believe about who wrote which parts of the score. I suspect nearly all the actual new material was written by Williams, but with all the conflicting reports, I'm not really sure, nor do I care. It's still subpar.

William Ross must have thrown on the AOTC soundtrack when composing/arranging/adapting/whatever music for COS. He couldn't get around the copy protection though, unlike with Harry's Wondrous World and the tagged-on new ending.

Well the tagged on HWW ending is also by Williams ,because he uses it in concerts ,and did something similar to The Raiders March in KotCS

I didn't mean you specifically, I was just running off what I thought was an appropriate line. I do that sometimes. It's a thing.

• 9 months later...

Dang! The link in the main post of this thread USED to contain scans of the pages of the book that featured the complete Harry Potter 2 cue list, but those sample pages are no longer there!

Did anyone happen to save the PDFs to their hard drive before the link was changed?

Actually, the sample pages in the link I was talking about in the main post of this thread only had HPCOS information in them.

We had Bill Wrobel's rundown for both the HPSS and HPCOS cue names, but the scanned book pages also had some interesting information about where they put in tracked music, etc

You can also watch the youtube video in the first post of this thread to see some slightly different cue names for COS

We have an entire other thread for HPSS cue names

So when is the complete score coming? It annoys me they cannot just release just the entire thing at once. There's so much magical music never heard.

The complete recording sessions to Harry Potter 2, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Indiana Jones 4 are all "out there".... we just gotta get the people who have them to share them with us instead of posting youtube videos!!

Well, 2 of those are out there for sure (HP2 and Indy4) and the other 2 allegedly so, unless you've heard some tracks from them and can confirm otherwise?

I know Harry Potter 2 is out there because of that youtube video, and I know Indiana Jones 4 is out there for other reasons

I believe JP and TLW are out there, but who knows, it could have all been lies and rumors

I *really* hope Harry Potter 3 is out there, but I have never heard of anyone claiming to have it.

First of all, does anybody here have this book, or ever heard of it?

On the Track: A Guide to Contemporary Film Scoring by Fred Karlin and Rayburn Wright (with foreword by John Williams)

It certainly looks like a very cool book I would buy in an instant if it was $20 instead of $65.

Anyway, some interesting material it contains is a complete cue list for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! Including full timings and notes on what was recorded and what never was.

I found a site where you can view most of the pages containing the info online for free online. Here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Dj42oNleXIC&lpg=PA44&pg=PA43#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pretty neat eh?

I have the book and i consider it to be the "Bible of film scoring". the Best out there!

As would I. For a complete release (legit or otherwise), POA > Indy 4 > JP > COS. (Don't get me wrong, I know JP is better than KOTCS, but there isn't as much music missing from JP. Most of it's on the OST.)

I most want a complete JP. TLW and CoS (and PoA) would be nice, but, I'm only interested in a handful of cues from each.

KotCS is edging nearer to a point where I'm satisfied; I only need one cue, not the full sessions.

I'd much rather have COS or JP than Indy4.

I'd MUCH rather have PoA than any of those three.

Once again, our opinions differ. :P

I most want a complete JP. TLW and CoS (and PoA) would be nice, but, I'm only interested in a handful of cues from each.

KotCS is edging nearer to a point where I'm satisfied; I only need one cue, not the full sessions.

(Y)

Indy 4, I want the waterfall cue towards the end of the movie (If I remember correctly..I didn't hate the movie but I only saw it once), and the opening titles / warehouse cue. Everything else I'm content with.

Indy4 or TLW, Potter could rot forever for all I care (no offense to JW or anybody who likes the scores*)

*~looks at thread title~ oooooohhhhhh......