Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Jay

I think the fact that Williams' FYC promos have the same content as OSTs highlights that all he's worried about is how his music will be seen critically, away from the film, whether it be fans or award consideration.

I wonder if this is symptomatic of Wiliams being very much a concert composer nowadays, and therefore only writing some parts of a score for dramatic sake, and not intending for them to be heard as music.

• 1 month later...

Since when is a low ratio of flutes to horns indicative of Zimmerlike music? Williams' music typically features six or even eight horns, and rarely more than three flutes/piccolos/alto flutes/recorders simultaneously.

Since when is a low ratio of flutes to horns indicative of Zimmerlike music? Williams' music typically features six or even eight horns, and rarely more than three flutes/piccolos/alto flutes/recorders simultaneously.

Irony, humor and sarcasm are ... difficult.

• 1 year later...

Could the Chamber of Secrets Recording Sessions just be around the corner? . . .. Maybe :D

I dunno, people who trade these things are holding Williams sessions hostage until every single Zimmer session have leaked. Lets hope KotCS is a step in the right direction

what makes you say that

In that, uh, thing at the place, there was a link to a thing of COS from the same seller as the KOTCS one.

Yep and I'm watching the seller myself. There's no way I'm the only one.

Yes, what exactly?

And while we are reviving this thread, let me say I'd rather have PoA than CoS.

I haven't heard a word about PoA sessions floating around. Just Chamber of Secrets.

Yes, what exactly?

I haven't heard a word about PoA sessions floating around. Just Chamber of Secrets.

I know.

I still want PoA over CoS.

Yes, what exactly?

I know.

I still want PoA over CoS.

You're right, PoA would be better, but I still want 'em both!

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that the Chamber of Secrets sessions would be out there. There has been a video on youtube since 2009 that plays selections from them and shows the whole track list. It's posted in the main post of this thread but here is the video again

Also the sessions with a track list that matches this video were recently sold on ebay, see here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280971608309

Could the Chamber of Secrets Recording Sessions just be around the corner? . . .. Maybe :D

Damn that was fast! Y'all best look into final fantasy again, if you catch my drift...

Well, this is almost better than the Tintin/War Horse/Hook finale of 2011. This year we have Lincoln/KOTCS RS/COS RS!

I wonder if this means 2013 brings us Jurassic Park CS/The Lost World CS/Azkaban RS?

;) A man can hope!

Listen to "Chasing the Snitch" then listen to AOTC :P

Yep, "Harry Meets Lucius" has a bit of AOTC too. The two movies did come out the same year...

I'm sure it's probably already been stated somewhere in this topic, but it's a shame that the Williams' scores to the Harry Potter movies have not received better treatment (a la the box set presentation that the later Desplat scores received). They definitely deserve it, and Warner missed their chance to do so in the multiple times they've released the movies (as individual films, box set DVDs, and box set Blu Rays). The first two scores, at least, have certainly become more culturally iconic than any of the other films, and so I'm hoping one day they'll get the expanded treatment they deserve.

AIFan

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing the OST material to the sessions, I noticed the opening of Prologue: Book II doesn't match. It sounds like the celeste at the very beginning could be a different take, as it's slightly faster on the OST. Then, when the orchestra comes in, it's different again - or at least edited differently. From there, the material seems to overlap as expected. Anyone else notice this?

• 9 months later...

So, once again, in William Ross' own words:

I was involved because of a conflict in John’s schedule. As he explained it to me, he was unable to devote the time to the score for the second Harry Potter film that he felt it deserved. I believe he worked out a solution that was satisfactory to the parties involved. Basically I was there to adapt the music from the first Harry Potter film into the score for the second film, “The Chamber of Secrets”.In addition, John would write the new material that would be necessary. I would use material from the first score and the new material he would write to create the score for the second film.

At that meeting he told me how much he enjoyed the Harry Potter films and how much he wished he could devote the time to the second film. He had apparently worked out an option with Warner Bros. and the filmmakers where he would write new material for the second film, and oversee the adaptation of music from the first film into the score for the second film. Somehow he had come up with my name and asked me if I would be interested.

Karol - who stole SF1_freeze's link from the other thread.

I know, William Ross' family is still kept under a gun, even now 11 years later

The true truth will never come out!

He should have never listened Williams' deceptively soothing mellifluous voice, poor thing...

Karol

It's amazing we have multiple interviews with Ross discussing this, and none with Williams. So far I haven't found a single interview where he discusses Chamber of Secrets at all, except for a very brief couple of comments on the DVD special features.

John Williams did write ALL of the music for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. As supported by William Ross, John Williams could not come to conduct the music and be as involved as he wanted to because of scheduling conflicts. So, John Williams asked William Ross to adapt some of the music from the first film into the second film. John Williams oversaw the adapting process, as well as composed new themes and cues. William Ross, having gotten this information and material, conducted the music. William Ross DID NOT compose any additional material for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. All of the music was by John Williams.

Listening to the complete score, it's usually pretty clear which material is new and which is from the first film, and that is probably the dividing line between the work of Ross and Williams. The only thing that makes them harder to distinguish is when a cue is made up of some new and some old material.

I would have liked to make an edit without any of the recycled stuff, but cues like that make it difficult. Plus some of the new material still rehashes, say, the Stone motif, which I would otherwise have liked to just edit out and pretend it wasn't used.